French Open 2020

Caporegime
The French Open started today and Murray's facing Warwinka at 2:30PM. They faced each other in the semi finals in 2017 and their marathon 5 set match broke both players, Murray's hip and Warwinka's knee. I think that was the end of both players at the highest level but hopefully I'm wrong.

Think Djokovic will win the title this year, Nadal needs the heat to get his weaponised topspin going and it's just not going to happen for him at this time of year. They've also changed the balls this year which he's not happy about so unless someone can stop Djokovic it should be number 18 for him.

Caporegime
OP
Badly outgunned so far today, ball's sitting up and Wawrinka's twatting it back.

Edit: 6-1 first set. Murray's serve is off today and in the slower conditions his fitness and speed around court is basically useless as the rallies are too short.

Edit: 6-3 second set. Ball's sitting up too much and Wawrinka can't miss. Beginning to wonder if some of the younger big hitters might actually give Djokovic some troubles with the ball behaving like this.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That was uncomfortable to watch. Murray's clearly lost a bit of pace around the court but also with his serve and groundstrokes.

Needs a change of plan, as the commentators said, if he wants to be competitive in the majors again. Wouldn't mind seeing him back with Lendl but can't see it happening.

Soldato
I always find Murray's matches hard to watch.

It's like something wasn't right with him today - no fight, no moaning at himself or his team, poor movement, stiff, sedate, subdued...

It was like he decided he was going to lose the match early on in the first set.

I wonder if the cold bothers his hip.

Caporegime
OP
Thiem looked very good against Cilic, beat him convincingly in 3.

Williams up next then Nadal but a lot of games have been delayed due to the weather which looks bad all week.

Edit: Williams screaming her head off after playing the softest of backhand slices, STFU woman!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just Heather Watson left in the singles for the brits now, she's playing her first round match today.

Edit: Well that's that for British interest in the singles - all out in the first round.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Didn't watch Murray's match but did watch Nadal yesterday and he's looking good despite his complaints. Only problem for him is Djokovic, Thiem and Tsitsipas also look very good and I fancy Thiem to beat him in the semis.

Soldato
Murray/Skupski's next match is against Krawietz/Mies which will be very tough.

Thankfully Murray/Skupski and Salisbury/Ram can only meet in the final, which would be good after a disappointing tournament for British singles.

Both teams have top opponents to get past first though, but it looks like they're in good form, so fingers crossed.

It's hard to look past Djokovic vs Nadal for the final, but I'm hoping for a couple of upsets, tbh.

Soldato
Muguruza basically chocked away that match. She really should have at least had a chance to win the tournament.

As for the mens side of things, you'd be as well starting Rafa and Novax at the QF.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, massively impressed with Swiatek. Beat the 15th seed convincingly in the first round and that hasn't turned out to be a fluke. Berten's getting smashed as well currently.

Edit: Murdered her 6-1, 6-2. Nadal up next.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom