French Open 2021

Caporegime
OP
Wasn't aware Tsitsipas had or picked up a hip injury, did very well considering but I just can't get on board with a player that seems like he plays to not lose points rather than win them. An absolute master tactician and will probably go down as the greatest ever but I find his style so boring to watch.

Plenty of time for Tsitsipas but congrats Djokovic.

Associate
Wasn't aware Tsitsipas had or picked up a hip injury, did very well considering but I just can't get on board with a player that seems like he plays to not lose points rather than win them. An absolute master tactician and will probably go down as the greatest ever but I find his style so boring to watch.

Plenty of time for Tsitsipas but congrats Djokovic.

I have to agree, Djokovic will surely own even more records soon and be widely regarded as the sole GOAT but I just don't find him entertaining to watch. Only when he plays a very good player with a more aggressive style does it produce great matches, when he plays someone similar (like Murray in the USO 2012 final) it's dull as dishwater. He is the yardstick others are measured against though, hence I consider Wawrinka's 2015 FO final performance as one of the best ever. Beating peak Novak (in the middle of a massive GS title collection) in 4 sets was astounding, and the highlights attest to that.

Tsitsipas did better than I expected but he didn't have enough in the end, possibly hampered by the injury. It's a shame that there were only brief passages where both players were playing their best. Still, I look forward to seeing how Stefanos' career unfolds, I love his forehand, reminds me a little of Del Potro.

Soldato
Do any of you think we should get an extended break if it goes to a fifth? Not only for the players but the fans as well.

I hate the french open, the shadow from the roof. They can’t even get that right.

Roll on Wimbledon. Hopefully Murray can have some sort of an impact there. Evans should have a good week with a favourable draw.

konta won a title today as well but likely get knocked out in r1/2.

Wonder if Osaka will play?

Caporegime
OP
Not sure about an extended break but there needs to be more leeway on the time taken between points based on rally length. It's too regimented at the moment and although a lot of players use it for a tactical advantage, they shouldn't be penalising players for taking 30 seconds after a 20+ shot rally in the later sets.

Not expecting much from Murray, I think he's done at the highest level and wouldn't be surprised to see a first or second round exit. No idea about Evans, he's as difficult to predict as Konta.

Osaka's an interesting one. I've already said enough about her earlier in the thread but if she plays Wimbledon after saying she needs a break, it won't look too good. I think she'll give the grass court season a miss and return for the hard court season.

Permabanned
I have to agree, Djokovic will surely own even more records soon and be widely regarded as the sole GOAT but I just don't find him entertaining to watch. Only when he plays a very good player with a more aggressive style does it produce great matches, when he plays someone similar (like Murray in the USO 2012 final) it's dull as dishwater.

Come on... this is how it should be - he goes to higher level of tennis when required, if he constantly played like a wizard or magician, then all or most of his matches would end to 0 for the opponent.

My overall impression on Nole is that he is not only the greatest tennis player but also has a very good sense for the show and business that he is in, often intentionally extending the matches in order to keep the audience satisfied and interested.

Associate
My overall impression on Nole is that he is not only the greatest tennis player but also has a very good sense for the show and business that he is in, often intentionally extending the matches in order to keep the audience satisfied and interested.

Utter nonsense, otherwise why did he beat Rafa/Medvedev in straight sets in recent AO finals?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have to agree, Djokovic will surely own even more records soon and be widely regarded as the sole GOAT but I just don't find him entertaining to watch.

He will never be regarded as the GOAT because he simply isn't as entertaining or likeable as Federer and Nadal. You can argue that he is a more complete player than either but for pure entertainment, skill and joy, Nadal and Federer have him beat hands down.

Not expecting much from Murray, I think he's done at the highest level and wouldn't be surprised to see a first or second round exit.

Murray hasn't been at the races in years and I'm quite amazed he is still going honestly. Hes clearly crocked and his body isn't designed for a long career at the top level. Have to respect him for his persistence but its just not going to happen.

Associate
He will never be regarded as the GOAT because he simply isn't as entertaining or likeable as Federer and Nadal. You can argue that he is a more complete player than either but for pure entertainment, skill and joy, Nadal and Federer have him beat hands down.

While I agree many just look at the numbers and the rubber man has/will have that in his favour.

Caporegime
OP
Murray hasn't been at the races in years and I'm quite amazed he is still going honestly. Hes clearly crocked and his body isn't designed for a long career at the top level. Have to respect him for his persistence but its just not going to happen.
I'm not sure that's entirely fair on him. He's 34 and he's been a professional since 2005 and for the majority of that time he's played at the very highest level. His last few years have been ruined with injury but he's trying to restart a career at an age most players before him would've long since retired. I personally don't think he'll win another major but if he can get fit again he's good enough to beat all but the elite.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm not sure that's entirely fair on him. He's 34 and he's been a professional since 2005 and for the majority of that time he's played at the very highest level. His last few years have been ruined with injury but he's trying to restart a career at an age most players before him would've long since retired. I personally don't think he'll win another major but if he can get fit again he's good enough to beat all but the elite.

I’m not saying that at his peak he wasn’t mixing it with the big boys. He was top draw and just unlucky to be playing at a time where 3 of the best tennis players ever happened to reign.

It’s been years since he was at the top of the sport and he just keeps getting injured.

Back
Top Bottom