Fresh windows 10 install resulting in choppy apps/not working.

Associate
As it stands I have bought pretty much a new pc, everything that can make a tower but the case, kept that. So after installing everything as carefully as possible, like I have done in the past, I installed windows 10 on my shiney new m.2 and updated to the latest versions, then onto the usual stuff, chrome, antivirus, nvidia and so on.

This is where things get.. weird. I download chrome and it worked a charm, went to download nvidia and it said I couldn't reach the site, then the same for all google use attempts, used edge and tried all the recommendations there and nada. Fresh reinstall and then the same issue plus my entire pc was chugging along, now on my third install not on an m.2 but a normal ssd with no chrome and hoping it works.

Has anyone any ideas on why this is happening? Was it somwsome with chrome that broke and borked my pc or a dodgy windows install? If I left anything out please let me know.

Soldato
As it stands I have bought pretty much a new pc, everything that can make a tower but the case, kept that. So after installing everything as carefully as possible, like I have done in the past, I installed windows 10 on my shiney new m.2 and updated to the latest versions, then onto the usual stuff, chrome, antivirus, nvidia and so on.

This is where things get.. weird. I download chrome and it worked a charm, went to download nvidia and it said I couldn't reach the site, then the same for all google use attempts, used edge and tried all the recommendations there and nada. Fresh reinstall and then the same issue plus my entire pc was chugging along, now on my third install not on an m.2 but a normal ssd with no chrome and hoping it works.

Has anyone any ideas on why this is happening? Was it somwsome with chrome that broke and borked my pc or a dodgy windows install? If I left anything out please let me know.

Try and re-download the ISO without the media creation tool, I download through UUPs and then convert to an ISO then use rufus to put it on a USB stick, their media creation tool has always given me problems.

If your system is overclocked, install windows at default settings.

There is another way you can trick the Microsoft site into thinking you are using an apple device and download the ISO directly from Microsoft. https://pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-iso-without-media-creation-tool/

Also, what are your system specs please, in particular, which NIC are you using / installed in the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Try and re-download the ISO without the media creation tool, I download through UUPs and then convert to an ISO then use rufus to put it on a USB stick, their media creation tool has always given me problems.

If your system is overclocked, install windows at default settings.

There is another way you can trick the Microsoft site into thinking you are using an apple device and download the ISO directly from Microsoft. https://pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-iso-without-media-creation-tool/

Also, what are your system specs please, in particular, which NIC are you using / installed in the motherboard.

IlI' try to do that with windows as you suggested, though this is the first issue with this usb I have had and I used it once before no problem, which is partoy why I am so stuck.

As for NIC, its the standard on the board, I219-v intel ethernet port.

Soldato
IlI' try to do that with windows as you suggested, though this is the first issue with this usb I have had and I used it once before no problem, which is partoy why I am so stuck.

As for NIC, its the standard on the board, I219-v intel ethernet port.

Ahh ok, the reason I asked is I have a killer 2500 nic that I use, experienced the same sort of problem you are having, I found out it was the killer drivers for the NIC, I was getting my 200mb download speed through it, but only 0.19mb upload, couldn't figure it out for ages, virgin sent me a new router, I brought a new cable, none fixed the problem, finally I decided to uninstall the killer drivers completely and run the killer driver cleaner and just live with the standard windows based ones, the problem was gone.

did you install the Samsung nvme driver ? also install Samsung magican, there was a firmware update not too long ago for my 970's only available through magican.

Associate
OP
Ahh ok, the reason I asked is I have a killer 2500 nic that I use, experienced the same sort of problem you are having, I found out it was the killer drivers for the NIC, I was getting my 200mb download speed through it, but only 0.19mb upload, couldn't figure it out for ages, virgin sent me a new router, I brought a new cable, none fixed the problem, finally I decided to uninstall the killer drivers completely and run the killer driver cleaner and just live with the standard windows based ones, the problem was gone.

did you install the Samsung nvme driver ? also install Samsung magican, there was a firmware update not too long ag

I tried deleting the drivers and went through that process but to no avail, thats why I am reinstalling windows fresh to see if that does anything good for me on a standard ssd, that I had windows installed on with my previous build.

I couldn't, I tried to get nvidia installed so I could set up my new card and nothing would download, though I have a good feeling about this time around so I will do that and maybe move over to the m.2 after I get my build to a functional level.

Associate
OP
Update! Windows 10 updated and installed, got an antivirus and driver easy installed, but now nothing else will work, tried steam, discord, cam cam and lord knows I won't be trying chrome again.

Associate
OP
I just use Edge myself, does what I need it to do, same as any 3rd party browser.
I'm getting used to it just the little parts will be missed.

Getting a friend over soon to take a look at it, he knows more than me so he will have a vague idea of what to do, will update what it was! Also thank you for the advice I think the fresh windows helped since its not running slow yet.

Associate
OP
I made a thread in Storage with the exact same issue. And like you I was at a loss. I bit the bullet bought an m.2 adapter and cloned my drive. Not had an issue since.
This is exactly what happened, friend brought one around and let me use it, I am up, running and happy, finally. Thank you though, I am buying one for myself soon to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Associate
OP
What was the issue?

Which motherboard do you have?

Temperatures ok?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-bg-93w-as.html This motherboard

Temps are solid under full load, little higher at idle but nothing deal breaking, 25-30cpu 35gpu.

As for the main issues it seemed that my installs were getting borked somewhere along the line, windows was having issues with the m.2 until I installed the Samsung magician as suggested, then cloned the drive over without an issue. Chrome is still an issue so I am sticking with edge for now. But apart from that I can feel the power and I am happy.

Back
Top Bottom