Friend involved in driving accident - advice on what is going to happen now.

Soldato
She broke the law and very easily could have killed someone, She showed no respect for your property, left you without a car and is putting you through all this unnecessary stress,

What are you doing with this person as a friend?

If one of my friends did this they would be an ex-friend quickly, mental illness or not, If a person is so unstable that they can't be trusted not to flip whenever they go near a drink then I wouldn't want them anywhere near me

Soldato
She broke the law and very easily could have killed someone, She showed no respect for your property, left you without a car and is putting you through all this unnecessary stress,

What are you doing with this person as a friend?

If one of my friends did this they would be an ex-friend quickly, mental illness or not, If a person is so unstable that they can't be trusted not to flip whenever they go near a drink then I wouldn't want them anywhere near me

Well, I'm glad I don't have you as a friend...

Man of Honour
AKA: Perverting the course of Justice , great advice!

Absolutely not. Using your right to silence isn't perversion of justice at all. If you lie that's another matter, but saying nothing is your right. That said, the OP's friend is obviously a danger to road users and should be dealt with appropriately so it doesn't happen again.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16700018 said:
She can't have free access to the car as she doesn't have a full license :(

But could she not still take it so long as she had someone with her or does it need to be the registered car owner?

Need to check insurance policy for that.

I hope your insurance pays out as rear end shunts could knock out tracking (depending on the direction of front wheels), damage chassis, exhaust, spare tire petrol tank etc.it can be costly.

My friend was shunted at traffic lights and it cost over 3K to fix.

I hope your friend get's all the help she needs if you see her tell her it's only money and she's safe and alive so everything else can be sorted.:(

good luck,

J

Soldato
And you do? And yes I have had depression in the past

Agreeing with you. I've been on more anti depressants and anti psychotics than you could shake a stick at and thank the big bang theory I haven't had any problems in a while so I'm off the meds.

Depression could in a very distant way explain the actions, she feels low, gets drunk and does something as a cry for attention (stupid idea). It is not an excuse in the slightest, she isn't dealing with her illness and she needs to sort it out.
Don't try and shield her from this, it sounds like it's the kick up the arse she needs to sort her damn life out.

Soldato
Your insurance company will not get involved, as a Learner driver on a provisional licence she is required to be accompanied by all times by a person who has held a full licence for a period in excess of two years, as this criteria was not met she was driving illegally (alcohol non-withstanding) thus invalidating the insurance policy.

Sorry it wasn't good news

Soldato
Your insurance company will not get involved, as a Learner driver on a provisional licence she is required to be accompanied by all times by a person who has held a full licence for a period in excess of two years, as this criteria was not met she was driving illegally (alcohol non-withstanding) thus invalidating the insurance policy.

Aye, the drink driving will invalidate it too in most cases so she'll be paying a fair whack to get those cars she hit fixed too.

Soldato

Not if she is charged with TWOC.

Soldato

I thought insurance was obligated to payout to 3rd parties no matter what.

Soldato
Your fault you gave her access to your car keys, and her stupid fault for even getting in the car, IMO she should be banned from driving for a few years to gain some common sence.. Illness or not, even more reason to stay off the road.

DiG

DiG

Associate
From your posts you sound like a sensible person. My advice (without knowing the full picture) is that at this point, you would be perfectly entitled to wash your hands of her and leave her to deal with the consequences of her actions. HOWEVER If you are a good friend, and care for her then you might decide to help her, personally this is what I would try and do, just abandoning someone because they made a mistake is not likely to help them.

I think you need to be sure that shes committed to getting help before you help her. This is though, I think, separate to the legal issues. Be truthful with the police, if she gets charged with theft, so be it. There is a big difference between being a great friend for someone and unwisely bailing them out of something that they should be taking responsibility for.

Keep us updated and hope it all works out! The main thing is no one was hurt.

Back
Top Bottom