1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends Computer problem...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by conuk, 26 Mar 2006.

1. conuk

Wise Guy

OK couple of weeks a go I put a new hard drive - extra memory and sound card into a friends computer.

His last drive `went up in smoke` and he turned it off...... hmmmm risked putting one of my drives in there and all was fine - so I said new drive... and the other bits he wanted added....

All fine for 2 weeks... then blue screen of death when he started windows... he mentioned popups etc ....

hmmm got it off him.... wouldnt start in safe mode.... next thing - format drive install again... same problem .. blue screen or freeze - few seconds after the xp (pro) loading screen - bar moves then freezes....

heres what ive tried so far :

took the extra memory out - tried his original and the new one - same either way in.

ran DFT on the drive - full test - no errors... its a maxtor.

tried to install windows 2000 - goes to a strange screen with blue lines on loading and freezes... strange.

Not sure what to try next - was thinking of putting a drive of my own in there... but dont really want that killing...

any suggestions ?

His motherboard ? or power supply...

the machine is an Emachines 960 - google dont find any such machine.

as always thanks in advance... oh all Bios - fans - health etc seem otherwise ok.

also - could it be some kind of virus ?? any DOS software that will check the hardware - like I said the drive seemed ok..

Last edited: 26 Mar 2006
  2. Paul11

Capodecina

run some memory tests first..

if you have formated the drive, i wouldnt have thought that it was a virus.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2006
  3. conuk

Wise Guy

I took out the memory I bought (crucial - matched to his machine from website...) - used his... same problem... put in crucial - quick formatted - installed win2k then - same problem...

which Dos software will check memory ?

is there one to check motherboard as well ?

Thanks for your reply.

- added : running Drive Fitness Test on the drive - full test -- would this definately eliminate the new drive (well 2 weeks old..)

Last edited: 27 Mar 2006
  4. Monstermunch

Wise Guy

buy something other than a maxtor, they're currently the most unreliable on the market

5. ONESHOTKILL

Soldato

i remeber when i bought a maxtor and soon as i finished installing xp and it would boot to a blue screen or it would freeze on the xp loading screen.bought a diffrent drive and no problems since

6. conuk

Wise Guy

well hes going to pick it up later... think dad wants to buy new Pc anyways... but i dont like not knowing what was wrong ....

seems strange that it passes `fitness` test - and always stopped at same point... even after trying my old Windows 2k....

7. BoomAM

Capodecina

No they're not.