1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From an old Mk2 Golf Driver to >>>>

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Musty Pie, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Musty Pie

Soldato

Not much of a car fundie myself And i rarely come into motors but I got myself a new set of wheels so i thought I would share

As the title suggests i upgraded from a G reg Mk2 Golf Driver 1.6 to a Mk2 Ibiza Cupra Sport 2.0L 8V GTI

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its not to every one's tastes but I love it. It needs a little bit of work doing (tiny bit of surface rust on the rear drivers side wheel arch, actual arch itself is sold but just surface paint rust starting to appear. And a few electrical issues such as passenger side window regulator etc.)

And its sitting on G60 steels what more could you ask for?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2010
  2. Janesy B

Caporegime

G60 steelies don't really suit it, I like the grille :p

3. paradigm

Caporegime

Any particular reason you went for the awful 2.0 8v?

4. Musty Pie

Soldato

Because finding a well kept 16V version that isnt located in scotland/wales is impossible.
    Believe me I tried.

Came across this 8V which was a 2 1/2 hour drive away (closest mk2 of any kind for sale at the time) And fell in love. Its been VERY well looked after.

I LOVE G60 steels but I agree they dont suit the car, but it came with it so im not going to complain. Im after the multi spoke ronals in white but again they are hard to get hold of.

And yes the grill is pap, but again came with it. Ordered the original to replace it with ;)

5. paradigm

Caporegime

How much was it?

6. cm1179

Mobster

where's your old mk2?

7. Musty Pie

Soldato

Paid 1K for it and got the guy to throw in a full tank of fuel too. (your now going to tell me that was to much) and after selling my old Mk2 for half of that It seemed a worthy upgrade.

8. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Terrible engine, that car shouldn't have a GTI badge on.

9. Participant

Caporegime

What's the name of the paint colour? Looks like blood orange. The grill looks like the Guttmann ones they put on 205s.

10. Musty Pie

Soldato

Well I think its classed as either "burnt orange" or "copper" But it certainly is a little different.

Terrible engine or not (in your opinion) I'm very pleased with it. Yes its not the fastest thing in the world but I don't need it to be. Its nippy enough for what i need and Ive only had my licence for less then a year (even though im 22 years old I was a late driver) and the insurance on this was pretty fair for what it is.

11. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

115bhp and 0-60 in 9.3 seconds (Its only a small tinbox) from a 2.0 lump, i'd class that as pathetic if you ask me.

On the upside i've always loved that colour and it does look quite smart from the back.

12. Musty Pie

Soldato

Yeah as said its not the fastest kid on the block but I drive the to limits of the road (as everyone should ;) ) Its a comfortable drive and a fairly decent upgrade from the old 1.6 Driver.

Its clean and tidy and a little different which ticked all the boxes for me

13. Michael Myers

Wise Guy

fail.... should have upgraded to a mk2 golf gti!!

14. Musty Pie

Soldato

Didnt want to upgrade to another golf regardless of the engine size etc. There are TOO many bad examples of Mk2 Golfs about and to get one as tidy as this cupra i picked up would set me back more then double the price.

Meh I knew posting my car on motors would get me flamed but hey ho I'm used to it I live in GD half of the time.

15. Stormster

Mobster

I like that dude, I used to fancy one at some point myself :)

Take no notice of the haters, we like what we like, thats why we buy it.

But I like it anyway :)

16. The_Abyss

Capodecina

The perfect world of OC motors won't like it much, but I think you've done ok there. I love the colour - with some restoration attention that will really come up and stand out from the crowd.

17. martinbeaver

Gangster

Quite like that colour. I drove one and was dismayed at how gutless it was for a car wearing a gti badge. but that example looks tidy.

18. paradigm

Caporegime

2.0 16v and 20vT are the only engines worth getting in an Ibiza Cupra/GTi.

19. dave1983

Mobster

For a GTI badged car i would of least expected 150BHP, but as long as your happy with it, change those wheels get some nice alloys
    :D

20. Moeks

Sgarrista

Is that an E39 in glacier green that your neighbour has there? :)