1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Plasma to OLED thoughts and discussions.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by easyrider, 12 Aug 2018.

1. lnoton

Mobster

Surprised they are still bad on these larger models - shame.

2. Nick1881

Sgarrista

I went from a fairly poor LG plasma, it was quite far off Pana/Pioneer, I think anyway. The black level wasn't that great. My LG OLED is far superior in every way and mines an old model now, 65EF950v.

I have heard that the 2018 models are much improved and I will consider an upgrade if I can find a good deal on a C8, maybe black Friday.

3. easyrider

Caporegime

The C8 is the one I'm looking at :)

4. thecremeegg

Sgarrista

I went from a 2008 Panny plasma to an LG55C7 end of last year and it's night and day difference. The colours are much more vibrant, the blacks better and it's thinner/more power efficient.
    I have no regrets at all, however I did get an excellent uniform panel.

5. old gamer

Mobster

saw one running on the weekend, stunning picture but the mrs would not budge on my budget

6. snarloas1982

Wise Guy

I had the Panny vt20 & VT50 which i swore by for years but the LG E7 is superior in every way. Looking forward to black Friday to add another to the house.

7. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

got a 50" GT50, i also have a 4k LG LCD and a large 55" sony for games room.

i'd upgrade purely for 4K especially netflix and prime HDR and UHD streams.

as for OLED it's a panel lottery. seems like uniformity being the major lottery. you could get a perfect panel or a disaster.

the other option is to go FALD LCD. again it's a poanel lottery with them too for banding and lots of other issues too.

basically there is no safe option and there is no perfect option for anyone. it's a lottery whatever you choose.

you must be blind if you think plasmas have no banding.

8. MatsyLR

Mobster

Well mine doesn't :p
    Tested it with the same 5% grey screens, nothing there, its pretty even across.
    I thought Plasma's had uniform screens....dunno where I read it, must be remembering wrong I guess..
    I've sent the TV pictured above back already today as I can't live with the banding.
    Had a quick look at my Plasma again in pitch black room, no banding at least what my eyes can detect.

9. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

banding is obvious on a plasma when you have white text on a black background scrolling.

pick any movie. stick the credits on. make a video of the credits and upload them to youtube.

it doesn't happen just on credits. it happens all the time. credits is the easiest way to spot it though.

10. hornetstinger

Soldato

Yup I see smudges on my kuro

11. aoaaron

Mobster

I think my biggest 2 issues with OLEDs are:

1. Image retention
    2. Screen size

I find immersion and screen size in TVs is quite underrated and I'd much more prefer a 75 inch FALD to a 65 inch OLED despite the superior blacks and infinite contrast.

12. Nick1881

Sgarrista

I would love a bigger, 70-72" ideally but I would never sacrifice black level for it. Once you have lived with the inky blackness there's no going back. My room is totally dark and when my TV goes to a totally black screen I can't see anything.

13. sHo0sH

Mobster

I've never really understood when people have issues with slight uniformity issues on 100% grey slides - is this even visible when viewing regular content? If it is only an issue when viewing a grey slide, and not from regular content - is it even an issue?

14. KoN1ch1wA

Mobster

Still got my Panny Plasma - GT50 and it's still going strong, still amazed by the PQ to this day.

When the time does come to upgrade it will have to be OLED as nothing else will come close.

15. easyrider

Caporegime

I think I have a buyer for my Panny GT50 for £400 so i think I will be taking the plunge to OLED

16. Warbie

Soldato

Good call. Plasma and LEDs put out some good images, but there was always a compromise. One scene would look great and for whatever reason the next would be wonky. I genuinely haven't been fully happy with any flat panel. That was until getting an OLED and it's like a pleasant sigh of relief! They're not perfect for sure, but they nail all the important things for the first time since CRT days. Everything looks good and bar the tiniest niggles, nothing takes me out of the movie. With plasma/led there were more niggles plus not hitting all the key elements.

17. darreny

Mobster

I'd snap their hand off. Why on earth anyone would pay that when I got my Panasonic 58dx802b for 600 is beyond me but then I was glad to see the back of my plasma

18. KoN1ch1wA

Mobster

Cause it's still one of the best plasma panels you can buy and still outperforms most TV's bar OLED?

19. oli collett

Mobster

Recently switched from a Panasonic VT65 to a Sony AF8 OLED as I managed to get a v good deal

With Dolby Vision/HDR content it blows the Panasonic away, but some things did seem better on the Panasonic - motion, colour, but it was calibrated which probably helps

20. melmac

Sgarrista

Well worth it. A couple of years I went from a Pioneer Kuro LX5090 to an LG 55910V. It's not 4K, only 1080p. But, I have been constantly amazed since then. Everything looks so good. The Pioneer is an amazing TV, but, not in the same league as OLED.