From Plasma to OLED thoughts and discussions.

Caporegime
Cause it's still one of the best plasma panels you can buy and still outperforms most TV's bar OLED?

it's a ridiculous sum of money for a 6 year old tv with no warranty, only does 1080p. has image retention issues, etc.

he has found the right buyer at that price. i would be lucky to sell mine for £100 round here. i also have a GT50 fyi, it's a great tv however since buying a 4K tv there is no way I would go back to 1080p.

Permabanned
Panny GT30 50" -> Samsung 55" QLED -> LG 65" B7

Wish I'd never bothered with the Samsung... while a technically good TV with nice sharpness levels and vibrant colours... the black levels were really poor and in a dark room bright explosions could be so bright they'd hurt eyes.

I love the OLED... feels like a worthy step up from the Plasma in IQ, although 4k helps, black levels, contrast, colour vibrancy and the improvements in basic inputs and day to day usage switching inputs and using the inbuilt youtube/netflix apps... the user interface on these LG TVs is the best I've ever used... Samsung's comes close... tried this years new Sony OLED and sent it back... didn't see a noticeable improvement in IQ... in fact, found it to be a lot darker than the LG, making it awkward to watch during the daytime and the ageing and very slow android OS was painful to use... especially after using an Nvidia Shield TV for years... the slow OS was the main thing I disliked about that TV.

Soldato
Our GT50 Plasma just keeps doing what it does best, provide a great 1080p picture, which up-scales SD nicely.
With our viewing habits, as I would only be paying for the difference from what we have now, there is little to entice me to change.
IIRC the GT50, from around 2012 ish, can still hold its own with how primary viewing needs. Not sure if that disappoints me or not eight years later.
If the Panny breaks down in a major way then we'll have to change TV's, but it just keeps working, albeit the TV guide is fupped.

We started watching BSG last night, a Blu Ray release, and Space looked fracking black to me :)

Soldato
We started watching BSG last night, a Blu Ray release, and Space looked fracking black to me :)

There's no doubt plasma put out some nice images, but you will certainly notice the difference when it comes time to upgrade. Which is good! It would suck to upgrade and not have a noticeable improvement. There's black, then there's inky black wihout bright, bright stars.

Soldato
There's no doubt plasma put out some nice images, but you will certainly notice the difference when it comes time to upgrade. Which is good! It would suck to upgrade and not have a noticeable improvement. There's black, then there's inky black wihout bright, bright stars.

As mentioned the 1080p Plasma up-scales SD content nicely. I understand that 4k TV's do not typically do as well. Yup we still watch SD content and are happy enough with 1080p.
By the time that we do need to change TV's perhaps OLED, or whatever other technology prevails, might be a little more affordable by being more mainstream.
Unless the Plasma does break down I'll be content to just take a peek now again in Currys at what I'm missing :D
If it does break down then the decision gets easier.
Who knows by the time we make that change the broadcasting standards of 4k and actual regular 4k over the air might be a reality - or just fade away like 3D did.

My wallet thanks me, lol.

Soldato
Still have my pioneer LX508XD kuro plasma

But have been looking & thinking of changing it for an OLED for about the last 18 months :o

Just paying out about 4k for one would use a lot of my saving...:(
would cost around 4k due to OLED + New 4k AV amp, New 4k DVD player etc

Last edited:
Soldato
As mentioned the 1080p Plasma up-scales SD content nicely. I understand that 4k TV's do not typically do as well. Yup we still watch SD content and are happy enough with 1080p.
By the time that we do need to change TV's perhaps OLED, or whatever other technology prevails, might be a little more affordable by being more mainstream.
Unless the Plasma does break down I'll be content to just take a peek now again in Currys at what I'm missing :D
If it does break down then the decision gets easier.
Who knows by the time we make that change the broadcasting standards of 4k and actual regular 4k over the air might be a reality - or just fade away like 3D did.

My wallet thanks me, lol.

All good, fair points! For what it's worth, and imho, 4k and HDR fall a distant 2nd and 3rd when it comes to the benefits of upgrading to OLED. It's the depth the technology adds to every image.

Soldato
HDR really should be pushed more by firms over 4k when they are advertising.
I get that 4K is a good buzz word, but HDR is why you get these modern units....there is nothing that compares not even a plasma.

Caporegime
Our GT50 Plasma just keeps doing what it does best, provide a great 1080p picture, which up-scales SD nicely.
With our viewing habits, as I would only be paying for the difference from what we have now, there is little to entice me to change.
IIRC the GT50, from around 2012 ish, can still hold its own with how primary viewing needs. Not sure if that disappoints me or not eight years later.
If the Panny breaks down in a major way then we'll have to change TV's, but it just keeps working, albeit the TV guide is fupped.

SD? i haven't watched SD in about a decade. what are you watching that is SD?

Still have my pioneer LX508XD kuro plasma

But have been looking & thinking of changing it for an OLED for about the last 18 months :o

Just paying out about 4k for one would use a lot of my saving...:(
would cost around 4k due to OLED + New 4k AV amp, New 4k DVD player etc

you don't need a new 4K dvd player or a new 4K amp. just get a 4K tv and set up ARC to your current AMP or use optical out on the tv to your current amp.

also what is 4K dvd? do you mean blu ray? well surely you could buy a cheap second hand console that does that if you don't have one already. how many 4k blu rays do you plan on buying anyway? i know i haven't bought any. i just stream everything that is 4k to my tv. UHD content through sky q also.

however a lot of tv's do come with deals these days where you get money off a 4k player or even a free 4k player thrown in.

Soldato
you don't need a new 4K dvd player or a new 4K amp. just get a 4K tv and set up ARC to your current AMP or use optical out on the tv to your current amp.
Don't think ARC return would work with my setup as am using about 6 inputs on my AV amp

Xbox one X , Gaming PC, HTPC, PS4 (soon to be pro), SKY HD, Blu-ray player

Soldato
SD? i haven't watched SD in about a decade. what are you watching that is SD?
lots of stuff 576i/720 - film4, gold, horror channel, nowtv box ?
I don't think there is any evidence to support poorer native up-scale with 4k tv's, they have more processing power, and better mpeg (low bitrate) noise reduction.

Don't think ARC return would work with my setup as am using about 6 inputs on my AV amp
can just get an hdmi switcher ~£30

but if its(plasma) is not broken then why fix it ... going to need hdr content and predominately night time viewing to merit it too (... but would not go into hock for an oled )

Soldato
but if its(plasma) is not broken then why fix it ... going to need hdr content and predominately night time viewing to merit it too (... but would not go into hock for an oled )
would have also been nice playing games at 4k from my main gaming rig on it..
But GPU's still aren't really fast enough for gaming at 4k yet :(

Also after owning my plasma for 10 years I keep getting that upgrade itch every time I look at an OLED :D

Soldato
It's my wife in particular who likes to watch certain Freeview channels which broadcast in SD.

I can't remember the exact thread but more than one person noted how relatively bad up scaling SD content was after going to a 4k TV from their previous 1080p, iirc.

Soldato
It's my wife in particular who likes to watch certain Freeview channels which broadcast in SD.

I can't remember the exact thread but more than one person noted how relatively bad up scaling SD content was after going to a 4k TV from their previous 1080p.
Also plasma screens are normally very good at displaying SD due to them not being sharp as an LCD/OLED

My 720p 436xde pioneer plasma in my living room is great for SD
(Thank god as 9 out 10 things watched on it is normally in SD :o)

Just gone down stairs to see what being watched on right now and it EastEnders in SD :D:o
6sr6cqY.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Also plasma screens are normally very good at displaying SD due to them not being sharp as an LCD/OLED

My 720p pioneer in my living room is great for SD
(Thank god as 9 out 10 things watched on it is in SD :o)

Good point that I hadn't thought of. It's the sharpness and clarity that I have noticed when we visit our Son and see his 4k TV. But as we are not comparing sources and content I hadn't thought much about it, apart from noticing the same SD channels we watch not seeming to looking as good.

EDIT Eastenders, would never look good regardless of resolution or any form of HDR..! Lol

Just thinking about some of the content we have seen on our Sons TV, it reminded me of applying a sharpening filter to an acceptable photo Not overly done necessarily but noticeable

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom