Front audio on CM-690 II Adv. not working

Soldato
Hey All

I have come from a case that didnt have front inputs/outputs for audio but as the CM-690 does I want to use them. I have plugged them in correctly yet they dont seem to want to work.

I have the BioStar TPower i45 motherboard and in the manual it says that I have to use the HD audio connection for front panels as the AC97 one doesnt work. I have done this correctly and even unplugged and replugged it in but nothing.

Is there something I have to turn on either in windows or the bios that would make this work? Driver maybe? I checked the bios but didnt really see anything in there for audio.

Thanks

Soldato
So you have the front panel jack connected to the HD Audio header on the system board but still no sound? Check in the BIOS again under something along the lines of onboard devices configuration, south bridge configuration or 'Azalia'. You will probably find your onboard audio is set to AC'97 so set it to HD Audio. Sorry for being vague but I don't know my way around your specific BIOS.

Soldato
OP
Just had a look around the BIOS, including all southbridge options and didnt see anything at all. Everything works around the connections like USB and everything. I know thats irrelevant but it shows that the PCB under the panel isnt damaged.

Im quite stuck on this.

Soldato
OP
Something interesting I have just this moment discovered is that the sound works when only the headphones is plugged in. However when I plug the mic in, the sound stops...

Soldato
You plug the Mic in and the sound stops? Check the physical wiring on the Mobo mate as you have overlooked something. It really is this simple - connect the HD Audio connector to the Mobo header and ensure HD Audio is enabled in the BIOS. You have overlooked one of these two. Either you have connected an AC'97 header or you have not enabled HD Audio in the BIOS.

Soldato
OP
I have checked everything you have said and everything is correctly turned on and plugged in. But I have a development...

When I plug the mic into the back of my PC, windows recognises the mic as you would exect. When I plug the mic into the front, windows does not recognise any change but all PC sound stops. It stops even the speakers that are plugged in from the rear.

I have got windows to check for latest drivers, but nothing for audio. Everything works perfectly until I plug the mic into the front...

Does that help at all?

Soldato
It's the way you have physically connected the front panel to the system board. Has to be. Check and double check your connections and also what you have set in the BIOS. It's one of the two causing this.

Soldato
OP
Well the cable seems fine, no damage at all. HD Audio connection is connected to the JAUDIOF1 connection on my motherboard. Bios has HDA (under southbridge menu) set to Enabled.

Do you think it could be an issue at the plug end of the cable and not the motherboard end?

Soldato
OP
Right...this is going to sound weird...

I downloaded the latest drivers again for the audio and it works but with issues.

When I plug the headphones in, it detects it fine, no issues. When I plug the mic in (to the pink), 50% of the time it thinks I have plugged the headphones in (to the green). Its almost like its detecting it wrong and cant work it out. If I have the headphones plugged in first, it always picks the right one. If I have them both plugged in and take out the green, sometimes it kills the mic from working too.

Its odd...

Soldato
You might have a problem with the onboard audio controller chip on the Mobo. I would try a BIOS update first and if you have no joy, then I would look at a cheap Soundcard. Something is not right there..

Soldato
OP
Lol this is giving me a bit of fun now. I havent change anything from the settings I just had and this is now happening:

Plug headset in > Audio goes to headset and cancels audio from going to speakers (good)
Plug mic in when headset is already plugged in > Audio now goes to headset AND speakers but mic doenst work. (weird)
Unplug headset and leave mic plugged in > Speakers dont work even when heatset is unplugged.

Mic doesnt work at all anymore...

I think its buggered! But the backpanel has no issues whatso ever...

Soldato
Try updating the BIOS if you are confident in what you are doing. Failing all else, just get a Soundcard. Sounds like your Onboard audio chip is failing however, hence the random results you are getting.

Soldato
OP
Humm...thats kind of something I was hoping to aviod...

I think for now ill just stick to using the back input for the mic and deal with that. The rear plugs work fine, thats what makes this all very confusing. I would have thought it could have been a cable issue at the case end.

Back
Top Bottom