1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FRP Squeeling problem - Helllp

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Sam, 27 Feb 2006.

1. Sam

Capodecina

Hi There

I have a problem and i really need some help. Basicley i have a Squeel under my bonnet which is somewhere along the Aux Belt line. The car has been to pumabuild / Ford and Tremona Ford and it seems its not easy to fix as no one can tell me where the problem lies. The Aux belt has been replaced 3 times in the last 6 months and that usually takes the problem away for around 250 miles then it comes back to its full glory. I only last week had a new Pulley ( the one at the top of the engine ) but that hasnt fixed the problem. So next Tremona RS ford have suggested the Tensioner and a new belt but again they have said this could not be the problem.

Other than being the tensioner / belt what could it be ? What else runs on the same line. It sounds like its coming from the top at the back which i belive is the water pump ? But the guy @ tremona garage says it cant be that.

I really cant afford to keep throwing money at "maybes", if i did that i could spend £1000 + replacing working bits but no one seems to be able to find a way to actually "diagnose" the problem once and for all and as you can hear from the video clip its simply un drivable with the current "squeel" It drives me CRACKERS !!!

The Noise NEVER dissapears, Hot / Cold / Wet / Dry its allways there

When im driving along if i depress the clutch the noise will dissapear or be alot quieter, Tremona ford think this is because the load is being taken off the engine which supports the tensioner / belt slip idea.

Anyway heres a video which is around 10mb which i took tonight get ready to put your fingers in your ears folks -

http://www.samb0.co.uk/frp/frpsqueeel.wmv

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Sam

2. agw_01

Capodecina

Where abouts is the alternator in your engine?

I ask this because mine has recently started squealing. I had a full belt change a month ago and I'm thinking the tightness of the belt has moved the alread-worn alternator pulley slightly caused the bearings to become noisy.

Do you have any pics of the engine bay pointing out where the noise is coming from?

Might help us to diagnose the problem :)

3. agw_01

Capodecina

Right, just watched the video... it's a weird one as it sounds like something is slipping slowly.

If you can, get a video in the daylight of you pressing on all of the belts. I've a problem with this before. I'd tighten the alternator tensioner bracket only for it to become loose again after a few weeks.

4. Sam

Capodecina

Thing is mate i think the alt on the puma is bolt on ie you cant pull it then do it up. It has a spring operated tensioner.

Oh and heres a pic of the area affected !

[​IMG]

Sam

5. s0ck

Soldato

I left my night vision goggles in work ;/

6. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Try liberally spraying the drivebelt area (ie around the alternator pulley) with some Beltmate while the engine is running. I've had similar uncurable slipping on 205's in the past.

7. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

I would be tempted to go along with the worn alternator bearing.

8. thedazman67

Wise Guy

sounds exactly like the squeel i had on my engine and firestar was write alternator bearings were shot, rebuild of the alternator and some new bearings later alas the squeel was gone.

thedazman

9. Sam

Capodecina

I have thought about the alternator but it sounds like its coming from the back half of the engine hmmmm

Sam

10. Tesla

Capodecina

Use a long screwdriver to locate the sound. Sounds travel weird ways in engines.

Screwdriver trick works well though.

Don't stick it in the alternator though :eek:

I have a squeel from the Rover but I know it's the power steering belt. It has a seperate belt just for the PAS pump.

It's really crappy and crusty so I bought a new one today. Only £7 for a Rover one from Rover. It's manual tension so I wanna look up about what sort of tension I need to set it at

11. Jet

Mobster

Mine used to scream and it would disappear when the clutch was depressed. Turned out to be the release thrust bearing of the clutch. New clutch time. Due a clutch change?

12. Sam

Capodecina

Thought about that but spray WD40 on the belt and it dissapears therefor it cannot be the clutch :(

13. mr tommo

Soldato

more problems? :(

14. Sam

Capodecina

Yes mate seems im unlucky , cant find ANYONE whos had a simlular problem !

Sam

15. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

id try the alternator too, my mini used to squeel all the time, undid the alternator bolt and it dropped back just a tiny touch but made all the difference to the belt

16. mr tommo

Soldato

Not that im really contributing to the thread because i cant really help you, but, did you know the guy you bought the car from?

Seems your very unlucky mate, at least all the money being spent will be wel worth it as soon as the FRP sees a track :D

17. willd58

PermaBanned

I had this exact problem with my Zetec S, i even made a post about it but i didnt explain it very well at all (the problem) mines gone away now, and i have no idea how, sorry i cant be of any help.