Fuji X Series

Soldato
Was looking to get from the UK (quite a few good credit options going on the big etailers) and thought i had missed a promotion! Is a great price for the camera though, let us know how you get on :)

Very happy with it. Purpose for buying it was taking pics of my kids. Very sharp, face and eye detection is spot on. Stuck it on the "erratic" autofocus and told my son to run around. Out of about 20 shots it only missed one on continuous 11 burst.

I bought the fuji weather resistant kit as well. The camera looks stunning. Went for the silver version. I regularly find my self picking it up. Something I just don't do with the bulky dslr. The colours on the jpgs have been spot on. I'm finding astia and acros great. Need to experiment more.

Soldato
I just ordered a used X-T3 :eek:
Im buying it as a hobby camera purely for when Im out on my own and can pack a bag of vintage glass - looking forward to trying out the different MF assists, as I struggled with focus peaking and basic EVF on my a6000

Family and holidays will remain a6000/a7r2 unless I get really fast at MF, but Im hoping this will help with the different MF assists and large viewfinder

Soldato
Took delivery today of a second hand XF 14mm to replace my Samyang 12mm. Astonished at how good it is, sharp throughout and virtually no distortion whatsoever.

Associate
Just ordered a 23mm 1.4. Can't wait. Have the 16mm 1.4 and although it's a great lens, it's a tad too wide for me. Up for sale on the TP forums if anyone is interested

Soldato
Just ordered a 23mm 1.4. Can't wait. Have the 16mm 1.4 and although it's a great lens, it's a tad too wide for me. Up for sale on the TP forums if anyone is interested

The XF23mmF2 R WR is hands down the best lens I have ever bought. It has been all over the world with me and has produced some stunning images. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed by the superior 1.4!

Associate
The XF23mmF2 R WR is hands down the best lens I have ever bought. It has been all over the world with me and has produced some stunning images. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed by the superior 1.4!

Yeah I think it'll be perfect for my needs. How do you find the auto focus?

Soldato
I've seen it written up with a reputation for slow and noisy AF. Not mine! Magic lens.

The XF 14mm is noisy but coming from a manual Samyang 12mm where I have messed up the focus in the past I can live with that. My 23mm F2 is silent.

It still baffles me with photography how inconsistent lenses appear be. Obviously less of a problem with top glass from Fuji but I often question whether there are genuine differences between different versions of the same lens, or if it is basically subjectivity on the part of different reviewers. I had problems with Canon L lenses back from my SLR days but after many years with my various XT cameras I have been blown away by pretty much every Fuji lens I've used. Touch wood!

Soldato
I ended up trading in all my Fuji gear (X-T3, X-E3 and a good few lenses) and getting an X100V. Compliments my full frame Sony kit quite nicely.

Gratz! How you finding it?

It's my first fuji. The film simulations and jpg quality make it so good for daily life pics. I'm waiting for the squarehood to come back in stock.

Associate
The XF 14mm is noisy but coming from a manual Samyang 12mm where I have messed up the focus in the past I can live with that.

Is it possible to mess up the focus on a 12mm? :D

On mine if the subject's more than 3 feet away..... infinity! (Which, annoyingly is a couple of mm past the infinity mark on the scale, and currently a sharpie-mark. Must fix that)

Soldato
I'm looking at purchasing a prime for my X-T20. I'm leaning towards the 35 f2 for a couple of reasons - one is because I can purchase the XC for a low price to see if I like it (given that the optics are the same as the XF and I'm not all that concerned about build quality) and secondly I had the ef-s 24 2.8 pancake on my old Canon 750d and I didn't particularly care for the focal length. I also had a 50 1.8 for my current 6D ii which I found much more useful (to my needs) so the 35 f2 on the Fuji should slot in nicely. Given all the chat about the 23 1.4 if you could have only one would it be a preferable option over the 35 f2 for image quality?

Soldato
I'm looking at purchasing a prime for my X-T20. I'm leaning towards the 35 f2 for a couple of reasons - one is because I can purchase the XC for a low price to see if I like it (given that the optics are the same as the XF and I'm not all that concerned about build quality) and secondly I had the ef-s 24 2.8 pancake on my old Canon 750d and I didn't particularly care for the focal length. I also had a 50 1.8 for my current 6D ii which I found much more useful (to my needs) so the 35 f2 on the Fuji should slot in nicely. Given all the chat about the 23 1.4 if you could have only one would it be a preferable option over the 35 f2 for image quality?

The choice is less about image quality and more about purpose of the lens due to focal length. 35mm is much more suited to portrait and street for instance, but pretty hopeless for landscape. 23mm for portrait is very likely to need cropping, sometimes heavily. It is useable for landscape amongst other things though. The 23mm to the people your taking the shot of if you don't like cropping much will feel like they've got a camera in their face :D

Soldato
The choice is less about image quality and more about purpose of the lens due to focal length. 35mm is much more suited to portrait and street for instance, but pretty hopeless for landscape. 23mm for portrait is very likely to need cropping, sometimes heavily. It is useable for landscape amongst other things though. The 23mm to the people your taking the shot of if you don't like cropping much will feel like they've got a camera in their face :D
Very true. As I mentioned I've had 24mm on crop sensor before and I didn't find it particularly useful at all. I have a 70-200 2.8 for my 6D so that takes care of the more distant portrait stuff. I think I'd just like to try out the 35mm to get my 'artsy fartsy' on and maybe for more intimate portrait work. I tend to use my Canon gear for my freelance work and the Fuji is my 'weekend' camera :p.

Associate
Gratz! How you finding it?

It's my first fuji. The film simulations and jpg quality make it so good for daily life pics. I'm waiting for the squarehood to come back in stock.

I quite like it. I had the X100F for a bit but got rid because a few things bothered me about it - most noticeably the soft, wide open close focusing problems. I like that they’ve sorted those issues, added weather sealing, etc.

It does run pretty hot at times, and the control ring on the front of the camera isn’t completely smooth. Need to decide whether I’m going to keep it really.

Soldato
I quite like it. I had the X100F for a bit but got rid because a few things bothered me about it - most noticeably the soft, wide open close focusing problems. I like that they’ve sorted those issues, added weather sealing, etc.

It does run pretty hot at times, and the control ring on the front of the camera isn’t completely smooth. Need to decide whether I’m going to keep it really.

I don't do videos so havent noticed any issues with it running hot. If you're getting the clicking/jarring of the control ring that's a known issue for the early batches and people have got them swapped. Mine has no issues.

Associate
I don't do videos so havent noticed any issues with it running hot. If you're getting the clicking/jarring of the control ring that's a known issue for the early batches and people have got them swapped. Mine has no issues.

It runs pretty hot when shooting photos, it’s not unusable by any stretch, just more of an observation.

The control ring isn’t anywhere near as bad as those I’ve seen on the YouTube videos so not too bothered about it.

Back
Top Bottom