Fully comp insurance driving another car info pls??

Soldato
Hmm, now you put it like that Fox, I think I agree actually. I think I just read it too quickly.

The OP has changed what it says anyway the argument is reduntant :).

Associate
OP
Tried to call them but there not open now and there not open tomorrow either so i'm kind of stuffed there. Thats why i've posted on here hoping someone would know. The more i read the more i'm getting confused!

Under exclusions it says

The policy does not cover use for hire or reward ,racing,pace making, speed-testing or use for any purpose in connection with any trade or business.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Associate
Joe T said:
And anyway, surely DOC cover only applies if the car is insured by someone else - i.e has some form of cover anyway?

This definately needs to be checked. I did once want to drive a car I didn't own from my house to an MoT station which had been off the road for a few years and wasn't insured. My insurers at the time said that I could drive it for this, but pointed out that I would not be allowed to park it anywhere other than private property. Not much help if it breaks down. :)

Man of Honour
Joe T said:
And anyway, surely DOC cover only applies if the car is insured by someone else - i.e has some form of cover anyway?

This is only the case if your policy states it. It's a common misconception.

Associate
Matrix said:
Under exclusions it says

The policy does not cover use for hire or reward ,racing,pace making, speed-testing or use for any purpose in connection with any trade or business.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't worry, none of the things listed there applies in this case.

Man of Honour
Matrix said:
So we're still not sure then if i can or can't drive another car then?

IMHO you CAN drive another car that is not owned by you. However, many insurance companies count spouses/significant others as 'you' as well - to stop people using it as a way around putting themselves on a partners insurance. This is what you need to check, as it might count as 'yours' for insurance reasons after youve bought it and thus, not covered by DOC.

Associate
Matrix said:
Ah ok so even though we're not married yet but we do live at the same address it may count against then.

Possibly. Have a look in your policy booklet, it will have a section where it defines what they mean by certain terms (such as 'you').

Associate
OP
Ok my girlfriends found it just as i posted the above message it says ..If you want to drive another car :-
Your policy covers you, the policyholder for driving other cars which do not belong to you( provided your certificate of insurance shows that you have this cover) However cover is restricted to third party liabillty and so does not provide cover for damage to the car your driving.

Permabanned
Yes, and your certificate doesnt show that! It shows that you can drive a hire car or lease car on your policy, but no other car. It's plain english! Not japanese.

Scenario - you go and get your car serviced, its in for two days, the garage offer you a hire car. You take it. you have two choices; use your insurance which will only cover you 3rd party (so you'll have to pay an excess and the damage to the courtesy car) or you pay a nominal fee (normaly £10) and you go on their insurance (still having to pay the excess if you crash)

For the last time. Your policy absolutely does not cover you for driving any other car 3rd party unless it is a hire car. I've been in this situation before, and yes, I got a ban. Its not worth it!

The policy document is a mass produced document, its whats on the certificate that counts, and your certificate does not say it!.

Man of Honour
Oracle said:
Yes, and your certificate doesnt show that! It shows that you can drive a hire car or lease car on your policy, but no other car. It's plain english! Not japanese.

No, it absolutely doesnt. It didnt with the original wording and now he's pointed out he typed it out wrong it even more doesn't.

Permabanned
Dam you Fox, didnt see his typo error post. But actually, I just checked. If his policy was worded as per his FIRST post, then he WOULD NOT be covered unless the car was under a hire agreement or lease car, well according to the email I just received from MASS about this querey.

Since his reworded post, then yes, he is covered, and that is clear.

Man of Honour
Oracle said:
Dam you Fox, didnt see his typo error post. But actually, I just checked. If his policy was worded as per his FIRST post, then he WOULD NOT be covered unless the car was under a hire agreement or lease car, well according to the email I just received from MASS about this querey.

Since his reworded post, then yes, he is covered, and that is clear.
Agreed, he's covered - my DOC extension has identical wording and I double checked when renewing that it was a DOC extension :)

Back
Top Bottom