Fun, Newish & Practical - 18k?

Soldato
A standard spec me thread - if I may.

Must haves:

18k is the top end of budget
A reasonably good selection of kit - Cruise control is a must as I do long journeys
Not slow, roughly 180-200hp is ok
4 doors
Not ridiculous MPG
Roughly 30k mileage
3-4 years old
Able to have fun!

Apart from that impossibly difficult list, I'm reasonably open to suggestions. Car's I've looked at so far are:

2017 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0 Auto (188hp) Ideal for long journeys but potentially boring...
2019 Focus ST-line X 1.5 (182hp) 18k on a non-ST focus? Am I mad? But it seems like a good option.
2017 Golf GTD/GTI - Annoyingly, prices have sky rocketed on these since the pandemic, probably because the newest revisions of these cars suck.
2017 BMW 3 Series - I feel like the new one looks too good to buy the old one now, but it's a possible.

What haven't I considered?

Last edited:
Soldato
Standard OcUK at play.

'I want a 180 to 200bhp car.'

"No you don't, you want this 300bhp car"

... Only step left is for the OP to go and buy a 350bhp car :p

A suitably powered 3 series is probably where I'd be inclined to put my money, as you'll still get a car you can have fun in with a lower powered engine and will be much better for relaxing long journeys than something like a Fiesta ST

Soldato
Standard OcUK at play.

A suitably powered 3 series is probably where I'd be inclined to put my money, as you'll still get a car you can have fun in with a lower powered engine and will be much better for relaxing long journeys than something like a Fiesta ST

This is only 12 years old so pretty much still brand new. Great for the family with the practical boot and the change will help with the running costs:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...nesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

Caporegime
Soldato
Associate
Audi A5 Sportback?

This one for example?

19k from Audi dealer could be in budget, but there are loads around and they come with nice 2.0 turbo petrol engine.

Good looking and very practical for the type of car.

Soldato
OP
Octavia vRS?

c. £18k will get you a 245 petrol, estate or hatch around 2017/2018 and 20k miles

I'm not a fan of the Octavia but your suggestion has sent me on a video binge for the sportier Superbs. There's no denying, it's is a whole lot of car for the money and it fits the bill quite nicely - thanks.

Audi A5 Sportback?

This one for example?

I like the A5's but they're just out of budget I'm afraid. 18k is already the top end of the budget and I'd be hard pressed to find a decent spec A5 for that. Nice car though.

A real Focus ST-3. You could get one with a Mountune kit already installed and pretty low miles for way under 18k.

I've driven the Focus ST and it was a lot of fun. I just can't get away with the interior - the seats in particular. My other half drives a standard focus and whilst it's nice enough for daily driving, the infotainment system is appalling.

Soldato

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Octavia vRS?

c. £18k will get you a 245 petrol, estate or hatch around 2017/2018 and 20k miles

Civic 1.5T 180 might be worth a look

Standard OcUK at play.

He listed FUN as the first requirement... New cars are heavy, so more power is required to maintain the power to weight ratio.

Back
Top Bottom