Future of G-Sync? HDMI 2.1? VRR support? Freesync?

Associate
I have a GTX 1080 and am in the market for a gaming monitor. I would love to enjoy variable refresh rate technology but the screen I am looking at (the Acer Predator XB271HUA) makes my wallet cry. I would hate to eventually convince myself to buy it then its announced that HDMI 2.1 is coming soon which will might allow variable refresh rate technology on all GPUS (AMD and nvidia). Would love to hear some thoughts advice on this?

Soldato
Seems like NV deliberately omitted HDMI 2.1 from the RTX cards to retain G-Sync as a sort of reason to buy or USP. It is good don’t get me wrong but trouble is the G-Sync module that goes in the monitor is silly money hence the cost bump vs same thing FreeSync.

I would love it if they supported VRR via HDMI 2.1 but something tells me it’s not going to happen unfortunately.

Associate
Nvidia will support HDMI 2.1 when it exists. I'd like a monitor that does it all for less than £2000 and doesn't have a fan. They are being worked on. 1-2 years away I believe.

Associate
Ampere is where it's most likely to put in an appearance. It'll depend on how quickly HDMI 2.1 makes its way into monitors and whether Navi is packing support for it. I really don't like the idea of a monitor with a fan, so this would be something to make me join the 4k club.

Back
Top Bottom