• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX 60 anybody got one yet

Soldato
Kesnel said:
Sure, it's not a viable purchase for everyone, I just don't it's all that fair for people be berated for buying one. Particularly if they have no intention of overclocking; something that not everyone is comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly one of the "buy cheap and clock it up" camp, I'm just saying that if I could afford to part with that amount of money I'd buy one. :)

Quoted for truth.

Soldato
I spent £107 on a 144 opty that does FX 57 speeds. The FX 60 is roughly the same speed in games (which is what I do most) as the FX 57 because games just don't utilise 2 cores well enough yet.

£107 for a 2.8ghz cpu or £700+ for a dual cpu that could hit 2.8ghz - but would not be any faster unless a game supports it.

Anyone who buys an FX 60 is slightly crackers imo. Maybe in 6-12 months time when most games support 2 cores it could be worth spending that bit extra :)

Soldato
whats wrong with having the latest tech.? It would last longer, more future-proof.
And as kensal said, not everyone wants to do overclocking, and without doing that, this is the best chip currently available.

Associate
as has been said, if you don't like people spending £££'s on the latest tech, DON'T GO ON ABOUT IT. In fact, don't even bother to post while I'm at it. What, exactly, have they done wrong eh?:confused: they have money to do this, they choose to do this. Nothing wrong in that, end of story.

You have your choice, they have theirs...
Can't say I would buy one, but Kudos to thos who do.

Congrats on your order mate, hope it works well for you.

Caporegime
Sudden said:
whats wrong with having the latest tech.? It would last longer, more future-proof.
And as kensal said, not everyone wants to do overclocking, and without doing that, this is the best chip currently available.

I wouldn't call the FX 60 future proof.
In fact coming from an fx 55 and spending £800 on the FX 60 is going to show no marked improvement in single threaded environments.

both run at 2.6ghz

All I can say is don't be to dissapointed IMO..

Associate
InSanCen said:
as has been said, if you don't like people spending £££'s on the latest tech, DON'T GO ON ABOUT IT. In fact, don't even bother to post while I'm at it. What, exactly, have they done wrong eh?:confused: they have money to do this, they choose to do this. Nothing wrong in that, end of story.

You have your choice, they have theirs...
Can't say I would buy one, but Kudos to thos who do.

Congrats on your order mate, hope it works well for you.

Hey let's face it... Without the people with money willing to buy the latest tech what the hell would we all talk about! :D

Caporegime
bikes said:
Really?

Or are you forgetting the fact its dual core

No,

I'm not forgetting that its dual core.
The fx 62 is already on the horizon and will run at 2.8ghz

I mentioned single threaded environments.

The fx 60 at £800 will be out of date in 3 months

Associate
And that will be out of date, as you put it, as soon as the next cpu comes out....its nothing new, it happens all the time, and some people will buy that. It just seems to me that the people who moan & stamp the feet about people buying the lastest tech are just jealous they dont have that kind of money to spend.

Soldato
There will always be the "Cheaper Component & OC Vers. High End Component @ stock" debate.

Some people like the safety of buying that works straight out of the box,others like the challenge of getting the same performance from a cheaper component.It's the same wether it's CPU's or Graphics Cards.

Personally im in the "buy cheap" camp.Mind you if i could afford to splash out £800 on a CPU i would still overclock the living hell out of it. :D

Always be 2 sides to this debate,nothing will ever be future proof as nobody knows what will be available in the next 6 months these days,let alone whats going to be about in 2 years.

If you want the guarenteed no hassle performance of the FX60 then go for it mate.Im sure you will love it.

Caporegime
bikes said:
It just seems to me that the people who moan & stamp the feet about people buying the lastest tech are just jealous they dont have that kind of money to spend.

Like I said ,I have the money to spend.

I dont think its jealousy.

The people who are buying cheaper chips and getting the same performance want to share this knowledge and help people out.

I dont think that these clued up people are jealous of a person spending money unnecessarily.

But each to their own. :)

Soldato
CS||nuTs said:
nobody knows what will be available in the next 6 months these days,let alone whats going to be about in 2 years.

Depends on how you define future proof I guess.
I define it as something that will last and fullfill all your needs without needing to upgrade, not as being the latest.
Even if there is some brand new technology which comes out say 2 months after the current latest, it does not mean the one you bought 2 months ago is no longer future-proof. It will still last and play all the latest games at good settings for many years to come.
I got my current computer with 512 ram around 4 or 5 years ago, and at taht time, it was future proof. No game at the time needed close to 512 to run at max, nowadays, many need 512 minimum. But by virtue of the fact it's lasted me 5 years, without needing to upgrade it, it is future proof.
The FX 60 may not be the best after a few months, but it's good enough to play games on flawlessly for many years. Just beacuse it's not the latest, doesn't make it out of date ;)

Back
Top Bottom