• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX 60 anybody got one yet

Soldato
Future proof is a complete misnomer in the field of computers. In fact when it comes to technology fullstop!

As far as being crazy to shell out this sort of price for the latest tech. The FX60 gives far more room for enthusiasts to experiment with clocking it with various rated types of RAM. Due to the unlocked multiplier.

I'm tempted myself as I have Phase change & would love nothing more than to thrash this chip to the max!

However with the M2 socket & DDR2 on the horizon........I think I'll hang fire on my next upgrade. To try & incorporate a bit of future RESISTANCE (not proofing) into my system.

Soldato
If you got the money for a FX60 and you decided to get one then your gunner get one despite what people say. If I had the money, I would be buying one right now instead of typing this post :p

People saying buying a Opteron 170 (2x 2.0GHz / 1MB) then clocking it as high as a FX60 at stock is a very good option. However with the FX60 you can then stretch its legs and clock it somewhere near the 3.0GHz mark. Then its going to be a very quick cpu.

On the other hand some people may not want to overclock or just do a little. Depending on thier system. May be a shuttle rig where overclocking is limited to that on a DFI NF4 board or something similar. With the FX60 you get Dual core 2.6GHz raw speed with 1MB on each cache, instead of overclocking something lower trying to match FX60 stock speeds.

The FX60's and not forgetting the FX57, are the cream of the crop with the best memory controllers and with the most overclocking potential and performance gains tbh.

Dual core is the way to go, but single core cpu's are still very capable right now.

The FX60 may be outdated in 3 months or when ever once the Dual Core 2.8GHz 1MB FX has arrived, thats just cpu life. Something new is always coming out 'soon'.

If you got the money buy a FX60, if you havnt then you dont. Its all down to user preference.

Caporegime
Sudden said:
whats wrong with having the latest tech.? It would last longer, more future-proof.

Spending £800 on the LAST CPU to come onto Skt 939 before AMD migrate to AM2... yeah... that's VERY future-proof! It's well worth paying 3x more than the guys who overclocked their silly £200 CPU's to the same speed, after all to quote a pro:

mpy32 said:
there in that sentence lies your problem you haven't got the money :p

i want my products to run fast and very stable out of the box try running

games like half-life2 with your clocked cpu's it hates the things
:D

lol...

Last edited:
Soldato
Richdog said:
Spending £800 on the LAST CPU to come onto Skt 939 before AMD migrate to AM"... yeah... that's VERY future-proof! It's well worth paying 3x more than the guys who overclocked their silly £200 CPU's to the same speed, after all to quote a pro:

By future proof, I mean that it will run the latest games for a long time to come without needing to upgrade it.
Agreed that AMD will migrate to the AM processors, and then release newer processors, but taht does not make the FX-60 obsolete. It will still be capable of playing new games at very good settings.

Soldato
easyrider said:
No,

I'm not forgetting that its dual core.
The fx 62 is already on the horizon and will run at 2.8ghz

I mentioned single threaded environments.

The fx 60 at £800 will be out of date in 3 months
every thing is out of date in 3 months

Soldato
If I had a spare 800 smackers I would get an fx60 & be 150mhz faster, woo hoo, then play single core games as fast as an fx57 at 3ghz.

Have we lost sight of what this thread is all about ?,
"FX 60 anybody got one yet "
So has anyone ?, & how does it clock ?

Soldato
For God Sake, If anyone wants to buy a FX60 then let them do it.
As Kesnel says, If i had the money i would do the same.
I am sure whoever spends £800 on a cpu will have looked into it thurrely and looked at opterons etc and doesnt need you repeating the same old thing over and over.
Enjoy your FX60 mate and post some results asap.

Thanks, Sam

Soldato
How can people make suggestions about how oothers spend their money? just plain rude imo.
Anyway, it appears that they arent the greatest clockers, clone. But that can change very quickly. The only thing that would put me off buying one is the upcoming socket change, which will probably be late anyway LOL.

Soldato
Kesnel said:
This is true, however you'll be very lucky to find one of those excellent steppings.

I will rephrase that for you:

You will be lucky to find any dual core opty's available

I know they are around but very scarce indeed

Personally a 4400 is better, and most wouldnt really notice any difference betwween that and a 3800 X2 ( £100 cheaper at OC UK though) and you can push quite a few 3800's to near 2.6GHz so it seems

Soldato
I think we need to get back to the point of the thread tbh.

I see a fair few people who are gunner upgrade to FX60's from 57's and 55's. Give it a few weeks and we will see some results on here.

Associate
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/10/amd_athlon_fx_60_dual_core_assault/ results are quite surprising :) Its not stupidly fast in games, but in applications multitasking, as you would expect it goes abit mental :p Pentium equivilent of a [email protected] is a Pentium EE955 @4.26 thats mental!! Its not the quickest thing ever. Would be nice to see an overall chart of all CPUS at 2.6Ghz see how they all perform. Ie optys at 2.6Ghz, pentiums, FX chips etc. So we could see exactly *** our money is buying us. If I had the money to spend on it, I most probably would. Most of the time I could only afford "good" equipment, not "top notch" equipment. Now I can, sorta I will :p

Soldato
Without reading through half the trash posts in here...
Well done on your FX60 purchase, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
Why spend that money on a cpu? Maybe because he wants the best, and enjoys owning decent hardware...
It's all very well whining about the money and saying your 4400 clocks to FX60 speeds, I think the FX60 will maybe clock a little higher though, which of course ruins that arguement...

It's sort of like the complaints at people buying 512mb 7800's... What difference does it make to anyone else?
Also, like has been said, the cpu is £700 if you go elsewhere...

(]Madboy[ your sig is too big)

Caporegime
Emlyn_Dewar said:
Maybe because he wants the best, and enjoys owning decent hardware...
It's all very well whining about the money and saying your 4400 clocks to FX60 speeds, I think the FX60 will maybe clock a little higher though, which of course ruins that arguement...

mercyless is running his opteron 170 at 2.8ghz at a cost of 300 quid, that sort of ruins yours :)

2.8-2.9ghz for the fx 60 i have read :)

Jokester said:
From what I've seen they should hit 2.8-2.9GHz, 3 at a push on air.

Jokester

Last edited:
Associate
lol, this like saying ppl who buys Ferrari, Lambo...are all crazy, you might as well buy an Supra and mod it up :rolleyes:

I would buy an fx-60 for sure if i could afford it !!! and trust me, I know how to OC an 165/170 to same or higher than an fx-60 at stock too :D

Soldato
ken1307 said:
lol, this like saying ppl who buys Ferrari, Lambo...are all crazy, you might as well buy an Supra and mod it up :rolleyes:

I would buy an fx-60 for sure if i could afford it !!! and trust me, I know how to OC an 165/170 to same or higher than an fx-60 at stock too :D

If modifying a supra to ferrari level (looks wise and performance) was as simple as overclocking a cpu of course they are crazy

Associate
Why do you all persist in saying the same things over...

You all sound like fanatic extremeists of some strange warped religion...

Can you not just let it be? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty well off myself and can afford one of these if I wanted one, but I don't for the money, its obvious they're expensive and over priced. We don't need to be patronised over and over and over and over again with this pseudo intellectual rantings.

I completely agree with "...just jealous they dont have that kind of money to spend..." as someone posted earlier on.

Thats my view, you won't change it - just as I won't change yours but its you high priced cpu haters that have drawn the gun first, people aren't gonna just listen to your remarks without replying.

There are people who feel just as passionate about ideas as yourselves, it doesn't make them right, and it certainly doesn't make you right.

Leave it go, AND NEVER BRING UP THESE STUPID POINTLESS WALKED OVER ALREADY HUNDREDS OF TIMES ARGUMENTS.

Back
Top Bottom