• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX 60 anybody got one yet

Caporegime
Hernald said:
Why do you all persist in saying the same things over...

You all sound like fanatic extremeists of some strange warped religion...

Can you not just let it be? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty well off myself and can afford one of these if I wanted one, but I don't for the money, its obvious they're expensive and over priced. We don't need to be patronised over and over and over and over again with this pseudo intellectual rantings.

I completely agree with "...just jealous they dont have that kind of money to spend..." as someone posted earlier on.

Thats my view, you won't change it - just as I won't change yours but its you high priced cpu haters that have drawn the gun first, people aren't gonna just listen to your remarks without replying.

There are people who feel just as passionate about ideas as yourselves, it doesn't make them right, and it certainly doesn't make you right.

Leave it go, AND NEVER BRING UP THESE STUPID POINTLESS WALKED OVER ALREADY HUNDREDS OF TIMES ARGUMENTS.

Jealousy has nothing to do with it, in fact i'd say anyone who seriously gets jeaous that someone has bought a better CPU than them needs their head checking.

The people who see it a a waste of money are the savvy and experienced overclockers who know that there is MUCH more satisfaction to be gained from buying a cheaper CPU and overclocking it 700mhz+ than buying a stupidly expensive one and overclocking it a mere 200mhz or so.

If someone wants to spend £800 on a CPU, one single component, that will be out of date very very soon and is barely faster than processor a third of the price then so be it, but don't expect a forum containing hardcore overclockers to stand there and applaud. We see the same thing every time an expensive new part is released, the noobs say "Zomg this is a must-buy, the overclock will be amazing and everyone will be jealous", it's all hype and marketing, and those of us who know our hardware and it's limits see it as just a completely unecessary extravagence, regardless of whether we can afford it or not... it's just not remotely worth it from a price/performance ratio, in fact it's ludicrous. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to throw it away.

On a public forum you get these debates and divides, it's just inevitable.

Last edited:
Associate
easyrider said:
There is a big difference than spending money and wasting money unnecessarily.

Wise words. Its not jealousy its being reasonal.

The only reason I would buy an FX-60 would be so all my friends and everyone on the forums I m posting could see "FX-60" on the cpu-z screenies and having "FX-60" in my signature...That's all

Other than that, I doubt if you would even notice a difference in every day use, including games. Unless 15-20 fps on some benchmark charts are a good reason for you to spend 800 quid, then go for it. + the showing off part, i hope you dont regret it though:)

And last but not least...I would get a Ferrari any day instead of a modded supra...With the ferrari you can go anywhere you want, you gain in prestige and tbh the car attracts women by itself. Last time I checked a cpu doesnt work on women:D

j/k , have fun with your new cpu:)

Last edited:
Associate
well i got a fx60 for £175. anyone who pays £800 is a wally ;) now with the 625 quid I saved I can go buy any gfx card I want. this in essence is what overclocking is about, or used to be about before it turned into a willywaving contest - bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Caporegime
hedgey said:
well i got a fx60 for £175. anyone who pays £800 is a wally ;) now with the 625 quid I saved I can go buy any gfx card I want. this in essence is what overclocking is about, or used to be about before it turned into a willywaving contest - bang for the buck.

Amen to that, and I believe we are among a dwindling few who still believe in the "old skool" principles of overclocking. :(

Soldato
Richdog said:
Amen to that, and I believe we are among a dwindling few who still believe in the "old skool" principles of overclocking. :(
I claim to be an "old skooler"!

I was thinking of building an M-ATX sempron 64 rig in the spare cube case I have.

Don't really want to spend the money though, not after getting a P4 630 (for my main PC), as well as a new motherboard and RAM for my dad's old (pre-built) P4b computer.

It'd be fun though, I think I'll do it when I've re-filled my bank account. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Its quite amusing that people get riled up that someone is prepared to spend £800 on a processor. As was said earlier in the thread, £800 to some people is nothing, it could be a weeks wages, a days wages, or even an hours wages (if your a well paid manwhore). Some people will go out and spend £800 just on nights out at weekends, others choose to plough their spare cash into their pc, which you could argue is considerably more healthy that the former.

AMD make the chips because people want to buy them, if there was no market for them, they wouldnt be in production, and we would all be banging about on our 1ghz pentium 3's because there was nothing to move the industy forward, its what enables people to then get £800 of performance out of a £100 chip, you should thank the people that buy the products, as it directly helps you out in the long run.

Associate
I was really interested in this topic, but so far its 3 pages of arguements, can we please get back on topic, and hopefully have some people post results on this chip and wether it overclocks well, as i am considering getting one if it overclocks to 3ghz on air... :)

Associate
hedgey said:
look its got the same chance of hitting 3ghz as any other Toledo core and they dont cost £700?

will you give it a break already? they dont spend YOUR money on 800 quid CPU so stop whining about how an Opty can OC to the same speed, totally way off topic! :rolleyes: If I earned millions a year (and some DOES !!!) then £800 is next to NOTHING !!!

this thread I believe is about owners of fx-60 and their results so lets it be what it MEANT to be, stop flaming :o

/sorry for OT

Permabanned
boys and there toys comes to mind some men just like to have the best of everything including a FX60, i'm thinking of getting one just so i can have a play with one not because it cost the most, £800 for a chip. I can remember peopel paying nearly £3,000 for a P2 400 a few years ago, with pc prices coming down now when you add up the cost of a high end machine it not that bad. :D

Associate
How did this thread devolve into this when the OP only said he was thinking about getting an FX60 and wondered how it would clock and run? It's the mans money to decide what to do with and IMO it's only a "waste of money" if it's money you don't have and he clearly does. Give him a break and don't post telling him what to do, i'm sure he can make his own mind up and doesnt deserve to be berated.
Personally i have an OC'd Opty but i'm pretty sure if i was wealthier i would have went for something better and more expensive. As someone else said ... One mans £800 is another mans £80.

Zeph.

Caporegime
They clock very similar to an opteron 170 on air.
Just becuse they are 800 quid does not make them better clockers.
Also just because something is more expensive does not always make it better.

Another mans £800 is another mans £80 true but if your into overclocking on air then I dont get the fx 60.

I mean ,the premium paid is not getting you any extra performance.
Just a big dent in your pocket.

So please tell me again why I should get one?
I have the money,sure, just tell me why I should get one?

Convince me with a valid reason as i may get rid of my dual core opty at 2.6 (currently priming at 2.75ghz) and buy one .

Is it just the unlocked multi that costs £800?

If I can get a 600 mhz overclock on air making it run at 3.2ghz then I'm in.
If not I'll stick with my opteron 170 with a 600-750 mhz overclock as my hobby is overclocking and I dont want to pay more for a chip that does not overclock the same in mhz.

I would be dissapointed with only 3ghz as this is only a 400mhz overclock.
Something that doesn't warranty any satisfaction in my book,even if I had a dual core @3ghz.

Last edited:
Associate
hmm... interesting postings from all.

personally I feel that certain people have missed a point. Namely, yes you can buy cheaper and overclock to match the performance of the chip. But thats the chip running at stock. Lets face it, spending £800 on a CPU and the first thing you are gonna do is overclock that baby, because no one here is gonna leave ANY chip at stock. So with that in mind the FX-60 is gonna overclock like crazy compared to a £300 opty.

Hell, my FX-57 has been running at 3GHz since the day I installed it. Yes, I *could* have saved money and got an FX-55 and oc'd it, but then where is the fun in that?

Back
Top Bottom