• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX 60 anybody got one yet

Caporegime
But where is the fun in overclocking an FX57 costing £600 only 200 mhz?
Surely the fun is overclocking an opteron 146 costing £120 1000mhz!

Relatively speaking the opteron 170 getting an 800 mhz overclock on air is a better clocker than an FX 60 .

I dont think the FX 60 will clock to 3.4 ghz on air (an 800mhz overclock)?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Come on people the topic of the thread IS NOT

"Are FX60's good value for money" or "Should I buy an FX60"

@hedgey et al
Your opinions are welcome but your insults, tacit or otherwise, are not.

@clone
As Jokester intimated in post #2 you should expect around 2.9 on air bit more on H20, Phase

This is from the review at Xbitlabs you can read the article here

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-fx60_4.html

Soldato
is it not possible for the clocked opteron to actually be faster than the FX due to the FX only running 200fsb and the opteron running at some very very high fsb.

in my experiance, when it comes to performance, fsb accounts for more than raw clock speed

Caporegime
Matt82 said:
is it not possible for the clocked opteron to actually be faster than the FX due to the FX only running 200fsb and the opteron running at some very very high fsb.

in my experiance, when it comes to performance, fsb accounts for more than raw clock speed

FSB is largely redundant on A64... running a divider with lower memory speed has a negligible impact on perfoirmance.

FSB used to mean a lot on nforce 2... not any more though. :)

Soldato
my barton is out of warranty, its so old, and has been clocked silly high since day one.

it actually loves being overclocked, all good processors do.

Soldato
ken1307 said:
same as non-overclocked CPU :D

Wrong answer...

The moment you start running your CPU outside of it's operating parameters your warranty is void. Fact.

You may, however, get away with returning it under warranty if it goes pop.

This is one reason why people would pay £700 for a CPU.

Hav

Associate
Havana_UK said:
Wrong answer...

The moment you start running your CPU outside of it's operating parameters your warranty is void. Fact.

You may, however, get away with returning it under warranty if it goes pop.

This is one reason why people would pay £700 for a CPU.

Hav

may I ask how AMD know the CPU been overclocked? :rolleyes:

and if I understand your statement correctly, only 700 quid CPU can be replaced if it went pop?

check your "fact" again m8, lol

Associate
looking at the FX60 i see not much , the FX60 runs at 2.6GHz operating speed and FX 57 runs at at 2.8GHz operating speed , am i right :confused:

Is the FX60 realy worth it ? are you realy going to notice the difference between FX57 & FX60

Last edited:
Soldato
S-H-A-N-E said:
looking at the FX60 i see not much , the FX60 runs at 2.6GHz operating speed and FX 57 runs at at 2.8GHz operating speed , am i right :confused:

Is the FX60 realy worth it ? are you realy going to notice the difference between FX57 & FX60

Don't quote me on this but I think once more dual-core applications start coming out, you will notice a significant difference.

Associate
I get about 5% just from drivers supporting DC. Then in Q4 I get +20fps at 1280x1024 with /r_usesmp 1. Other games support DC as well like COD2, Farcry, etc.

Associate
FSB is irrelevent now, but high fsb allows you to run memory faster which does make a difference. cpu clock is king of course.

Matt82 said:

Associate
£700 buys 3 165's, id pick the best and sell the others on ebay (for a profit since they are scarce). If i bought a fx60, id HAVE to buy at least phase change or no2 to justify the expense. I certainly wouldnt bolt a xp90 on it lol. Or maybe id get a dual board and stick two 165's in there. quad smp for the win! maybe even quad sli on top of that.

Soldato
hedgey said:
£700 buys 3 165's, id pick the best and sell the others on ebay (for a profit since they are scarce). If i bought a fx60, id HAVE to buy at least phase change or no2 to justify the expense. I certainly wouldnt bolt a xp90 on it lol. Or maybe id get a dual board and stick two 165's in there. quad smp for the win! maybe even quad sli on top of that.

You'd need two Opty 265's for that one :)

Soldato
ken1307 said:
may I ask how AMD know the CPU been overclocked? :rolleyes:

and if I understand your statement correctly, only 700 quid CPU can be replaced if it went pop?

check your "fact" again m8, lol

If AMD, or any chip manufacturer for that matter, wanted to take the time to check each chip they would be able to tell why it went wrong. The silicon would have damage visible under a microscope.

You don't understand my statement correctly. I wasn't very clear.

Allow me to rephrase it: This is one reason why someone who wanted a dual core 2.6GHz chip would buy and FX-60 & not just overclock their 4400+.

My fact is entirely accurate. The warranty provided with AMD chips specifies that if the device is operated outside of specification, (that being xxxxMHz at y.yy Volts, in zzz temperature range not exceeding blah blah blah humidity) then that warranty is void.

I do, however, grant that you are unlikely to be caught out since AMD will not invest the time to inspect every failure. Also most returns will be handled through the supplier rather than AMD direct, and they will simply provide a like-for-like replacement.

Hav

Back
Top Bottom