• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX 60 anybody got one yet

Caporegime
Havana_UK said:
If AMD, or any chip manufacturer for that matter, wanted to take the time to check each chip they would be able to tell why it went wrong. The silicon would have damage visible under a microscope.

You don't understand my statement correctly. I wasn't very clear.

Allow me to rephrase it: This is one reason why someone who wanted a dual core 2.6GHz chip would buy and FX-60 & not just overclock their 4400+.

My fact is entirely accurate. The warranty provided with AMD chips specifies that if the device is operated outside of specification, (that being xxxxMHz at y.yy Volts, in zzz temperature range not exceeding blah blah blah humidity) then that warranty is void.

I do, however, grant that you are unlikely to be caught out since AMD will not invest the time to inspect every failure. Also most returns will be handled through the supplier rather than AMD direct, and they will simply provide a like-for-like replacement.

Hav

Yeah but that's just a bit of a moot point to be honest. AMD don't have the time to check each CPU in detail and unless the CPU is completely fried they are never going to know otherwise. Obviously overclocking invalidates a users warranty but then again AMD aren't going to encourage you to damage their CPU's through carelessness are they?

Anyone with mild skill in overclocking will never be rumbled, and even in the highly unlikely scenario they refuse and RMA, the £500 you saved buying a cheaper CPU will just get you another brand new one.

Soldato
Richdog said:
Yeah but that's just a bit of a moot point to be honest. AMD don't have the time to check each CPU in detail and unless the CPU is completely fried they are never going to know otherwise. Obviously overclocking invalidates a users warranty but then again AMD aren't going to encourage you to damage their CPU's through carelessness are they?

Anyone with mild skill in overclocking will never be rumbled, and even in the highly unlikely scenario they refuse and RMA, the £500 you saved buying a cheaper CPU will just get you another brand new one.

I grant you all that Richdog.

My original post was simply intended to illustrate why some people would choose a £700 CPU instead of a £150 CPU.

I was a bit miffed that ken1307 jumped on me with the rolleyes c**p and felt I needed to address the excellent points he raised :)

Hav

Caporegime
Bah my motto is to generally is ignore any post containing a rolleyes anyway, it's like a warning sign that the post contains something not worth reading or responding to. :D

(no offence to anyone who uses them on a regular basis) ;)

Soldato
Would still be cheaper to buy a 165, kill it with overclocking then buy another one
thats the whole point they dont want another chip they want this chip and if they got the money why not buy the best cpu available atm regardless of the price i know if i could buy that cpu i would.

-neon

Associate
To answer Rickari or whatever his name was that I couldn't afford an expensive processor, all I can say is do a search on that site that ends with bay for

"rabbitrobd999" :)

Thats 5 Opteron 146s I sold for massive profits (one went for £215 inc p+p) - cost to me £95 each including vat and a high quality cooler for each one.

Made nigh on £600 profit overall as have sold some of the coolers off also.

And I have the best one sitting in my vapochill at 3.2Ghz, before that I owned a 4800+ that I sold on ebay for £470...

LOL, don't go calling me poor!!!

I'm loaded and I don't even work (£200 a week in sicky benefits does help things a little though, but then I have lost a lot of my eyesight and have brain damage).

There ain't nothing cool about overclocking, there used to be back in say socket A days with the thorobred Bs, that was fun...now you have to spend so much even on the cheap cpu's that you don't really get that buzz.

Paid £45 for my 2100+ that did and still is doing 2650mhz - whoop dee doo.

Prefer upgrading my AV stuff these days.

My suggestion to anyone thinking about buying an 800quid cpu is to save a few quid more and buy yourself a 42inch plasma screen and get into some real fun.

Soldato
Erm... right at least you have an excuse for not being able to read my posts properly.
I never called you poor, I never said you could not afford it, simply that it is a waste of good money, (and you seem to proud of the fact a lot of it comes from benefits)

And you seem to be doing the same as me, suggesting they don't buy the CPU (instead a TV) yet you are still trying to cause an argument.

Oh and spelling my name wrong...cute

Last edited:

kbc

kbc

Associate
Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a CPU, pretty much because I can't justify a huge amount on a CPU and that's only a single component. Especially when I often have a budget of no more than £1K for a completely new system, that gives me only £300-£400 to play with on other components, which would probably then hinder the overall system performance anyway. But that varies with other people who have £2K-£4K to whack on top of a new super computer. :p

Often when I buy ultra expensive components, I expect it to last a good couple of years, 4-5 years if I forked out £600-£700 on an FX60 right now. But by then, (in my opinion) it'll be way of date to what AMD would bring out in the future. That's why I prefer to spend on mid-range components and then upgrade more often, seems to be more financially feasible... :) ... enjoy and have fun with your FX60! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom