• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX60 or X2 4800

Associate
Hi,

Looking for some advice on a dual core rig: I'm considering an FX-60 system but the price right now is too high, so it seems to be the X2 4800 CPU that looks the best. I've checked out the scores of both and there seems to be not too much in it. I'm wondering though whether I should hold out for the FX-62 for its support for DDR 2 memory. Will this be a significant jump in performance? What, also, would be the best memory and motherboard for the 4800 (I've already decided on an ATI X1900 XT-X. I'm considering liquid cooling, BTW. Thanks in advance!

Associate
C3PO said:
Hi,

Looking for some advice on a dual core rig: I'm considering an FX-60 system but the price right now is too high, so it seems to be the X2 4800 CPU that looks the best. I've checked out the scores of both and there seems to be not too much in it. I'm wondering though whether I should hold out for the FX-62 for its support for DDR 2 memory. Will this be a significant jump in performance? What, also, would be the best memory and motherboard for the 4800 (I've already decided on an ATI X1900 XT-X. I'm considering liquid cooling, BTW. Thanks in advance!

I reckon you should wait for AM2 and get the latest X2 but clock it to FX speeds. Miles cheaper and if you get water cooling you should get FX speeds no worries.

Associate
depends how quick you want your system too, amd wont be using ddr2 until quarter 3 of this year according to some sites.. ive been playing the waiting game for about 3 months now because theres always some new technology round the corner (kind of glad i have tho). im gonna hold out a few more weeks until either the rd580 mobos come out or ill see what nvidias new card is like.

i was also wondering what sort of performance increase ddr2 will bring!?

Back
Top Bottom