G.Skill to replace my faulty GeIL... a few Q's

Associate

My previous GeIL 1GB dual channel Kit died after a year of intense use. I have been shipped the following as a replacement:

G.Skill 1GB DDR LA PC4800 (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit

I have never heard of G.Skill before but from what I have read, it should be on par with my previous GeIL PC4000 kit? I don't overclock anymore but I might be tempted to try again if this G.Skill stuff is up to it.

I have an Athlon64 4000 Socket 939 CPU. Will this mean I can only choose between CAS 2 and 3, not 2.5?

Also, while I'm here, can I just thank Overclockers for their exceptional friendly service, despite having a massive pile of RMA's to sort out!

Associate
Ive tested that ram, and when you overclock your CPU it all depends on how you want the ram running.

Im not to sure how much u know about OCing however.

If you run Cas2 then you will need to use a divider as the ram will only do Cas2 up to 215Mhz.

Cas2.5 will run all the way up to 290Mhz with 2.5-4-4-8 on the ram so im sure this is enough to play with your CPU.

http://overclockerzforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=150

Thats the link for the ram with some results. They are TCCD chips so are exactly the same as the set you picked out.

Also they are easly better than your Geil ram. Ive had them also ;)

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow. RAM sure has changed since I last purchased. Stability and performance at stock is all I really need. The overclocking potential is just an added bonus!

Thanks 4Qman, platty... I feel better about G.Skill now.

Associate
OP
Well it's here! Shame I'm at work... :(

Expected more care on OcUK's part, the G.Skill packet has suffered damage due to inadequate packaging.

Well, so long as it works, I don't mind that much. I'll see if I can reach DDR 600 tonight :)

Back
Top Bottom