• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G71 / 7900 GTX news?

Caporegime
Not really.... Its going to cost twice as much. Whats the market like in terms of people splashing out $1000+ for a graphics card.

So you have seen Nvidia's pricing structure have you? Care to pass on the link to this official information?

And I suppose ATI are going to provide R600 for free inside cereal boxes. :p

Soldato
lol dp :p come on..... you have to admit, nvidia have brought us a lot of new things...
SM3.0, external power connectors, dual slot cooling, £500 barrier etc etc surely they will want to break the $1k barrier too? :p
Im just saying.... a dual core version is going to be insanely expencive. Its not going to be like CPUs where the top end single core is more expencive than some dual cores etc. The dual core is obviously going to be their flag ship for the time being and its probably going to be at least 30% more (going by A64 figures) which will push it over the heady heights of $1000.
So er yeah - ATI wont be hurting from a few high end loss cards. As ever, the money to be made is in the low / medium end :p

Anywho..... slightly off topic. I really have to stop following your lead ;)

Soldato
Goksly said:
lol dp :p come on..... you have to admit, nvidia have brought us a lot of new things...

Damn.

I'm so used to translating some people's awful grammar, I read that as:

"Nvidia have bought us a lot of things"

and thought, ooh, that's nice of them!

:D

Caporegime
Goksly said:
SM3.0, external power connectors, dual slot cooling, £500 barrier etc etc surely they will want to break the $1k barrier too? :p
Im just saying.... a dual core version is going to be insanely expencive. Its not going to be like CPUs where the top end single core is more expencive than some dual cores etc. The dual core is obviously going to be their flag ship for the time being and its probably going to be at least 30% more (going by A64 figures) which will push it over the heady heights of $1000.
So er yeah - ATI wont be hurting from a few high end loss cards. As ever, the money to be made is in the low / medium end :p

Anywho..... slightly off topic. I really have to stop following your lead ;)

Nvidia is a company trying to make money, maybe they feel that their market segment is in the very high end? maybe they willallow ATIs to take a lot of the low end (but not all) while Nvidia concentrate on the ultimate performance. E.g, maybe they are after the ferrari type brand - probably not but it is certainly an area which can make a lot of money and there is a big markup on high end stuff. Low end stuff really depends on yeilds and how many chips you can produce per wafer. They need to be as cheap as possible to make money otherwise you loose all OEM deals to the compettor who can make the card $3 cheaper. In the high end you could have poor yields, as is the case, and so each chip might cost a lot more than you hoped, say $20, but the markup of the chip is so big that thisn't isn't always a problem. Hence the GTX 512Mb, it may cost a lot for Nvidia to make, but it makes them a lovely profit for each thousand sold- and being the highest performing card and with the Nvidia name people aren't too worried about paying that kind of money.- otherwise we would see Nvidia lower prices, espeically on the standard 256Mb cards- they just don't need to.

And with SLI, Nvidia tapped a highly profitable market, not just one high end gfx cards but people will buy two, and not just that they have to buy one of your chipsets fdor the MoBo. Hence ATis damage control and dodgy crossfire implementation. Even in the R580 it is a somewhat weak afair because it wasn't planned form the start unlike SLI. R600 should have had crossfire in mind fom very early development stages so it should cope better.

On the face of it multi GPUs don't make sense, they are basicly multi anyway with sets of quads. But there are analogies to CPUs. The thing is, gfx is far more parallizable than conventional CPU work- and so the idea of having multi GPUs makes more sense than for CPUs. With gfx not much work is required by devs to make code run multicore, with CPUs its an entirwely different ball game. Look at what 3DFX were doing- their aim wasn't separate components, e.g. seperate TnL type engine (these cards weren't released) with multi texturing/shading engines in separate chips. Scalling up chips to increase power. Nvidia now own all that IP and those engineers with those ideas. Just as die technology is rapidly slowly and slowing cpu clock speed increases, simlar things happen to GPUs.New ways will be needed to make the gfx faster. There are two ways of doing this, forever adding extra quads/pipes making ever bigger chips that run hotter and hotter and slower and slower clock speed wise. Or you separate the gpus into sub parts whcih can be made independently, are individually weaker and smaller and cheap but can get combined in multiple ways to make ever more powerful gfx cards. Each core is small and so can run at high clocks, the single core multi quad idea will have progressively slwoer clock speeds because of the size and heat of it. Yields will be good on the small cores. If a small core fails it is not much of a waste. If a large giant single core GPU has a problem it is either useless or hopefully a quad can be switched off but then you decrease performance and have wasted silicon in the package.

Look at it this way:
3DFX go the SLI route
Nvidia buy 3DFX and all IP and engineers
SLI returns
SLI working on a single card turns up
Quad SLI turns up
Quad SLI between 2 cars is possible/around the corner

The VologiX8 Duo thing- IHV decides the bestway to make a fast chip is to make two easier to make smaller chips that can be clocked fast and combing the cores. But inexperienced driver team etc, missing features leads to poor card. Nvidia GPUs are top notch otherwsie we would see other manufactures getting in there.

AMD and Intel turn multicore

Nvidia states it does not like the idea of unifying vertex and pixel shaders- stating too much compromise and not enough gain.

Dedicated hardware is always faster and more efficient at what it does.
Nvidia talk about CPU style socket GPUs in the near future. Socketing different GPUs or different GPU components is one way of achieving large scale SLI.

Now hints of multicore GPUs from nVidia.

We'll see!

Soldato
Goksly said:
Not really.... Its going to cost twice as much. Whats the market like in terms of people splashing out $1000+ for a graphics card.
Again, you seem to be pretty focused on nvidia good rumours and slate any ati rumours that float about. Still look too much like shrek for my liking ;)

Name me a situation where one company has market monopoly and it benefits the consumer? Market monopoly means they can progress as slowly as they want, and charge as much as they can. You obviously havent though about what you have typed. Not that this wasnt clear in the first sentence, but the second one confirmed it.

Totally agree with you, I really do wonder why D.P. has such a dislike of ATI. I remember he said "I thought the R300 was a great chip", but I dont remember him posting it was the fastest card to get on these forums at the time.

Its as you say, anything Pro NVIDIA, and DP jumps at it. Anything that goes against NVIDIA, and he valiantly defends them.

I wonder if he admits the X1900XTX is the fastest card in many games, and if he would admit ATI are getting much better at releasing their cards - gone are the days of paper launches.

No doubt he will say im pro ATI - I actually think there is not much difference between the latest cards from ATI and NVIDIA, whatever card you get you will be happy with - both perform better in particular games, ATI do seem to have the edge in the IQ field though, something that is backed up by Gibbo agreeing ATI cards have the best IQ.

Last edited:
Soldato
As much as I agree... think again we are heading off topic. G71 should be good for those who have big screens for sure. cant wait to see the results.

OTT: Dave you have msn? goksly AT gmail DOT com.... want to quiz you about ** X1800XT if you have a min :)

Associate
Well you have to admit he's last post makes a lot of sense. I don't see the problem with people prefering one card manufacturer over the other. Some people prefer bmw's to mercs...some mac's to pc's. I'm an arsenal fan but it dosen't mean i'd suppourt chelsea now because they're the strongest team in the premiership Maybe he had a good experience with their customer service or just plain likes the colour green.....it dosen't really matter. It's he's preference and thats that.

Soldato
Goksly said:
As much as I agree... think again we are heading off topic. G71 should be good for those who have big screens for sure. cant wait to see the results.

OTT: Dave you have msn? goksly AT gmail DOT com.... want to quiz you about ** X1800XT if you have a min :)

Added you m8.

Associate
Goksly said:
G71 should be good for those who have big screens for sure. cant wait to see the results.

I'll wager the G71 will be more than "good for those who have big screens". I expect to see a possible 30% performance increase over ATI's flagship card (who knows, maybe more). Thats some welly. If they produce enough cards this time around, I think the G71 will be a winner.

Prices will be similar to the 7800 GTX512.

Soldato
They should drop lower than the 7800gtx 512mb,thats only that high because they are supposedly limited run cards but the 7900will be a full run of cards so shouldnt come with a premium....well they better not or al not be #@*&$£ buying one.

Soldato
testa12 said:
I'll wager the G71 will be more than "good for those who have big screens". I expect to see a possible 30% performance increase over ATI's flagship card (who knows, maybe more). Thats some welly. If they produce enough cards this time around, I think the G71 will be a winner.

Prices will be similar to the 7800 GTX512.

30% or more quicker than a X1900XTX....thats just being silly, for Nvidia to be that much quicker at this stage of the hardware development cycle, they would have to have almost a revolutionary design. Not going to happen.

10-15% at the very most. And thats only because they will have had time to sample and study ATI's part, and be tweaking the G71 to ensure faster scores in benchmarks.

Associate
well, we'll see. Im expecting it to be at least 20% faster but feel free to come back and gloat if thats not the case ;)

Lets not forget, the X1900XTX is only marginally quicker than the 7800GTX512

Back
Top Bottom