• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G71 / 7900 GTX news?

Associate
It will most likley be faster then the x1900, it would be silly of nvidia not to make it faster! giving percentages is just speculation... only time will really tell!! :)

im no fanboy but if the g71 comes out costing more than 500 quid i think ill be quite happy to go ATI for the third time in a row.

Soldato
I think its stupid people predicting how much faster in % G71 will be compared to the R580. It could still be slower in some games while being much faster in others for all we know.

Just wait and see! Not long to go now ;)

Associate
Dave2150 said:
I think its stupid people predicting how much faster in % G71 will be compared to the R580. It could still be slower in some games while being much faster in others for all we know.

Just wait and see! Not long to go now ;)

agree, maybe people should start a G71 Speculation thread... :p

isnt this one for news? :D

Caporegime
Cooper said:
30% or more quicker than a X1900XTX....thats just being silly, for Nvidia to be that much quicker at this stage of the hardware development cycle, they would have to have almost a revolutionary design. Not going to happen.

10-15% at the very most. And thats only because they will have had time to sample and study ATI's part, and be tweaking the G71 to ensure faster scores in benchmarks.

What absolute nonsense!

Associate
well, as we've not heard anything official from nVidia yet. All of this thread so far is speculation. Just the same as it is from most websites you read.

Its good to have a little speculation from time to time, keeps people interested. And if the leap from 6800 to 7800 was anything to go by, then we will indeed be looking at a 20% / 30% perf. increase over the x1900.

We should start to hear some leaks soon from the inquirer. Hopefully we'll hear something in the next week or two.

Caporegime
The GTX 512 is 30% faster than the GTX 256 (and it cost 30% more...)
The 7900 has the advanatge of moving to the 90nm Low-k process from the 110nm non Low-K. That alone can ensure a massive increase in clock speeds, as well as a large decrease in chip size and thus cheaper chips. Or it would allow the increase in pipe count/ROPs/Shader engines and an increase in clock speeds as well.

There is no question that the 7900 wont be a lot faster than the X1900, the real question is what will it cost and possibly more importantly when is G80 coming out? Still scheduled for July time...

Soldato
D.P. said:
There is no question that the 7900 wont be a lot faster than the X1900, the real question is what will it cost and possibly more importantly when is G80 coming out? Still scheduled for July time...

These points are key i would agree.

Whilst some will get this card if its faster than an X1900XTX no matter what price or how soon after a faster card comes out, for many who are still prepared to pay the exhorbitant prices for topend cards, but are a little more realistic, it will come down to how much more than the X1900XTX does it cost & how quickly the G80 (R600) cards are coming. If priced too high & too near the next released topend card Nv may well miss out on some purchases. ATI's current pricing seems very good for their topend cards, when compared to Nv's. Though Nv seem to not be too concerned if their 7800GTX pricing is anything to go by.

Soldato
G71 is 32 pipes but still 16 ROPS right? Compared to the G70's 24/16 arrangement, I would not be surprised if it gave a 20%+ boost in performance at the same clockspeed... but it isn't going to be the same clockspeed?! G70-512 is 550/1700, and G71 is supposed to be 700+/??.

Given the pure (speculated) numbers I don't think 30% increase over G70-512 is unrealistic at all.

Suman

Soldato
nvidia > ati

- joke :p

what i really mean is i thought that the x1900 was brought out as a rival for the gtx 512mb so surely the 7900 (being next gen) would out perform it? ive heard people saying that the x1900 must out perform it because it has so many more shaders.. :confused: my 256MB GTX runs things at max with 24 so 32 shouldnt struggle at all. although i believe the performance will be better, im pretty sure the pricing wont be.. this is nvidias biggest failing with the 512GTX as the x1900 is around £100 less in some places and outperforms it.. if nvidia made them cheaper people would buy it.. but whos going to pay £100 more for a card thats lower performing?

Associate
naffa said:
. if nvidia made them cheaper people would buy it.. but whos going to pay £100 more for a card thats lower performing?

LoL, You'd be suprised. I recall seeing them on this forum asking for their cards after having waited for months. And on the ATI1900 launch day too.

Even when they knew the 1900 was faster, they still went for the GTX512. Some people have no sense eh?

Soldato
testa12 said:
LoL, You'd be suprised. I recall seeing them on this forum asking for their cards after having waited for months. And on the ATI1900 launch day too.

Even when they knew the 1900 was faster, they still went for the GTX512. Some people have no sense eh?
lol, youre not wrong there.. ive always used nvidia.. i just know the cards better, but im not so stupid that id pay £100 more for one when it performs worse than an ATi card :confused:

Associate
testa12 said:
well, as we've not heard anything official from nVidia yet. All of this thread so far is speculation. Just the same as it is from most websites you read.

Its good to have a little speculation from time to time, keeps people interested. And if the leap from 6800 to 7800 was anything to go by, then we will indeed be looking at a 20% / 30% perf. increase over the x1900.

We should start to hear some leaks soon from the inquirer. Hopefully we'll hear something in the next week or two.

i do agree that speculation does keep things interesting and i have to admit i love speculation myself.. and like you say tho; until nvidia say it themselfs its all just hot air ;)

but i stick to my guns when i say that estimating percentage increases in performance pointless.. the only thing you can really predict (imo) is that it will be faster than the x1900 ;)

Soldato
D.P. said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29469

Interesting thing about the power consumption. The G70 already uses a lot less power than the R520 let alone the R580, if the G71 uses even less its going to be one cool chips with some huge overclocking potential.
106710ug.png

exaggerating a little bit?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well even that image isnt painting the picture that D.P put together.
First of all you can only pay attention to the X1800XT / X1900XT /X1900XTX / 7800GT 512. Why I hear you cry? Because they have similar amounts of memory. I would assume that this would draw more power.... anywho it eliminates the memory from the equation.
So if we look at the situation with that we have (using ** image)
X1800XT: 298
X1900XT: 317
7800 512: 318
X1900XTX: 341

So, with those figures in mind, how can the statement be true? Yes I am a bit ATI bias, but then again I dont say stuff which is untrue about nvidia just to give them a bad vibe :p

Caporegime
Goksly said:
106710ug.png

exaggerating a little bit?

Those numbers aren't accurate- I'll try and find the review where a much more methodical approach is taken.

Those numbers are looking at system power draw which is not very accurate at all. The X1800 uses about 20% more power than the 7800GTX and considering that is on 0.09um low-k process is very poor. Hence they run so hot.

Back
Top Bottom