• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G71 / 7900 GTX news?

Soldato
JimJones said:
Would a comparison of the x1800 be better than the x1900 since they are more on par graphic power wise? It's like comparing the latest CPU to the one before and showing that the older one uses less power and not mentioning that the new CPU can do more.

Jim
well no.. as the X1900 is suposed to be a rival to the 7800GTX 512..

Permabanned
You can find on the web sites, that ATI are saying they will have 48 pipes but it points out ATI counts them different from Nvidia and everyone else, not sure what this means but it says it wont be 48 real pipes as we know them, but nvidia will have 32 REAL pipes, thats all i read so far.

If anyone is going to go mad with cash, they would be better getting a G80 when AMD socket AM is out, probably march/april (but some rumours porblems so possibly june)

Ive gave up on this 7800GS POS lark, for 6800ultra owners its not a complete card as its not got same pipes/shaders or such, lets hope Asus or someone makes 1 more decent agp card to let agp die with Vista when time comes (rememer Nvidia were only going to make 16x2 sli card for Intels platform but Asus went ahead and made the Nvidia one also.

I can hope lol :D

Caporegime
Dave2150 said:
I agree with you 100% - he seems to actually "love" NVIDIA, and defends it to the end. It can do NO wrong, of course ;)

Quite amusing tbh :)

OMG do you ever look at youself in the mirror! :rolleyes:

Remove these vile comments at once, we have all had enough of your childish behaviour and comments towards me and other members of this forum. You are so deluded in your opinion of me it is farcical. Your attitude stinks and it is not welcome on this board.

I am entitled to my opinions and provide information based on facts that can be backed up with evidence. I am entitled to post my personal idea and beleifs. I am entititled to prefer one IHV over the other with valid reasons. Just because I prefer Nvidia's OpenGL support, non-commercial developer relations, and focus on features and support for Linux does not give you the right to critize me. Just because I like to support the underdog where they deseve it should not be a reason for you to continually attack me personally on these boards. I also prefer AMD becuase they offer great competition against Intel. I like AMDs wide architecture method over Intels high clock speed low IPC method, just the same as with Nvidia high work per clock tick. Are you going to attack me because of my preference of CPU (OMG I must be an AMD fanboy as the last 2 CPUs I owned were from AMD!!! :eek: )

The moment ATI offers are card that is as good value as the Nvidia counterpart and has the featuresss and performances that I desire then I will buy it without hesitation. I have only ever purchased 3 gfx cards in my life: an ATI Rage Pro, a GF4 Ti440 and a 6800nu. Both Nvidia cards were the best cards within my budget without question. Maybe once I have graduated and have a job and money I can afford to upgrade to a top end card. At that time if ATI is the clear winner then I'll happily buy and ATI card. Maybe I'll own the R600 if its DX10 support is better than the G80s.

But how you can get away with continually attacking me like this I don't know.

Caporegime
Wilderbeast said:
Dave2150, i dont think thats the point of D.P. post. I think he was stating that becuse the NV card uses less power, then theres a greater chance that the 32 pipe rumours and 700+ clock speeds being correct for the 7900 with the move to a smaller die process. Or did i read it wrong? :confused:

Exactly, the 7800 is very efficient card, it can use very low clocks and has a very small transistor count. The 7800 has less transistors than the X1800 despite having 24 pipes. Nvidia acheived equal to ATI with a lot less. A 32 pipe 7900 will have a similar transistor count to the X1900 and could clock higher.

Nvidia were often accused of power hungry cards that ran hot. The X1900 draws more power and runs far hotter than any gfx card in history. Now all of a sudden power heat doesn't matter :confused:

Associate
Humey said:
You can find on the web sites, that ATI are saying they will have 48 pipes but it points out ATI counts them different from Nvidia and everyone else, not sure what this means but it says it wont be 48 real pipes as we know them, but nvidia will have 32 REAL pipes, thats all i read so far.

IIRC, the old way of counting pipes was one which consisted of a TMU, a pixel shader and a ROP. So, in this context, r580 only has 16 pipes and 7800GTX only has 16 pipes too. G71 will also only have 16 "old" pipelines if it only has 16 ROPs.

Its perhaps better nowadyas to count the number of TMUs, pixel shaders and ROPs, in an effort to gauge performance, hehe. And, to this effect r580 has 16TMUs, 48 pixel shaders and 16 rops. G70 has 24TMUs, 24pixel shaders and 16 rops.

Soldato
Fx-Overlord said:
Its perhaps better nowadyas to count the number of TMUs, pixel shaders and ROPs, in an effort to gauge performance, hehe. And, to this effect r580 has 16TMUs, 48 pixel shaders and 16 rops. G70 has 24TMUs, 24pixel shaders and 16 rops.

I think i understand the simple specs a little better like This card is faster then that card.

Soldato
D.P. said:
OMG do you ever look at youself in the mirror! :rolleyes:

Remove these vile comments at once, we have all had enough of your childish behaviour and comments towards me and other members of this forum. You are so deluded in your opinion of me it is farcical. Your attitude stinks and it is not welcome on this board.

Agreed. D.P. seems to be loyal to nVidia and that comes across in his posts. However, he backs them up with links or explanations, rather than simple contradictions. Dave, there was a post not-so-long ago by a Don asking for the fan-boyism to stop. I don't think D.P. falls into this category, but your attitude really doesn't help you.

-RaZ

Soldato
MoNkeE said:
Agreed. D.P. seems to be loyal to nVidia and that comes across in his posts. However, he backs them up with links or explanations, rather than simple contradictions. Dave, there was a post not-so-long ago by a Don asking for the fan-boyism to stop. I don't think D.P. falls into this category, but your attitude really doesn't help you.

-RaZ
Agreed.
D.P.'s posts may be pro-nvidia, but he doesn't insult other posters.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nixeh said:
Looks like you answered your own question :D

Having an opinion and backing it up with facts is not the same as personally attacking someone just because they don't agree with you!

It is against forum rules to vattack another member.
It is not against forum rules to have an opinion.

Caporegime
naffa said:
what i really mean is i thought that the x1900 was brought out as a rival for the gtx 512mb so surely the 7900 (being next gen) would out perform it?

not true, X1900 was released to contend with G71, the fact that it can barely beat a 7800GTX512 just shows how strong NVidia's hand is at the moment.

NVidia only released 512MB 7800GTX to regain the crown that 7800GTX256 had held by a mile for SIX MONTHS before X1800 was released, 7800GTX512 was released just to show ATi they will have to do a lot better - which clearly they haven't looking at X1900. ;)

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02/16/nvidia_geforce_7600_launch/ said:
Last month, a senior Nvidia executive said the company's next-generation part - believed to be branded the 7900 - would be introduced early in March, almost certainly March 9, the opening day of the CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany. That's what a number of sources are saying at any rate.

They also claim Nvidia will charge less for it than arch-rival ATI is asking for its Radeon X1900 series. ®

i'll take two please. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Tbh since the 9700/9800's nvidia has always had one over ati. The x800's were on par with the 6800's which were released earlier and featured sm3 suppourt (wether it was required at the time is irrelevant...it was an extra future-proof feature for free), the 7800's were released ages before the x1800's and 8 months later ati has just managed to trounce the gtx512 (which is based on the 7800 architecture). If the x1900 is supposed to compete with the g71 then it's not looking very good for ati.

Back
Top Bottom