1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Gah not enough power?!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ninefoureight, 26 Sep 2009.

1. ninefoureight

Hitman

Just setup my new rig with a Antec 500W Earthwats PSU that came with my Sonata. However it appears there is not enough power for my graphics card, what do i need?

Im running it with a Gigabyte UD3R / i7 920 / OCZ Repear DDR3 / 150GB Raptor / 1tb seagate / DVDRW

The graphics card in question is an Asus Glaciator 4870 1Gb.. needing two pcie connectors.

Pointers appreciated!

Thanks

2. pcpietrek

Gangster

500W should be enough for 4870, do you have both pcie connectors plugged in?

3. Alex74

Mobster

As above, what clock speed are you running your i7 at?

4. ninefoureight

Hitman

Not running the i7 at anything other than stock as its a brand new build.

Both plugged in from the cresset indicators it definately seems likes its the power .. i shouldve just added a PSU to my order when considering doh!

5. Happy

Soldato

What are the exact problems, is it a case of the rig restarting etc when gaming?

6. ninefoureight

Hitman

Ok .. the depression set in way too early there!! Its booted. The culprit, i had not plugged in the second motherboard connector. Booting now, i still think i may have to redress the power situation but for now its working.

A lesson in dilegent building. Thanks chaps

7. Alex74

Mobster

classic mistake, happy days there.. :)

8. Happy

Soldato

It's always good when it's a easy mistake to rectify :)

Your PSU will be fine unless you start heavily clocking the i7.

9. siege2

Wise Guy

10. ninefoureight

Hitman

Happy days indeed, ill def take a look at that. Would be interesting to see how much the PC actually punts towards the electricity bill.

The local PC shop wanted £100 for the new PSU .. id rather buy it way cheaper at OcUK if need be. Money saved and a working PC ;];]

11. r0cky

Hitman

Glad you've got it working now.

One of my Antec cases came with a DOA PSU, it went in the bin and bought a nice Corsair one for it.

12. ninefoureight

Hitman

Just to sort of close this off, ive now tested the setup. The 500W PSU is ok to run Windows and games in low resolutions however when run under real load the PSU very quickly cant supply enough power to the Graphics card and the whole machine crashes.

Going to order a new PSU on Monday, going to go for the http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-030-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat= unless there is a better alternative. Or should i go crazy and future proof myself with a 900-1000W PSU?

13. straxusii

Mobster

500W should be fine, in addition to my sig Ive got a soundcard, 2 hard drives, 1 ssd, 1 dvdrw

14. ninefoureight

Hitman

Its an Antec Earthwatts 500W, that may make the difference?

15. straxusii

Mobster

What amps do the 12v rails run at and what is the total wattage available to the 12v rails?

16. r0cky

Hitman

Sounds like the rubbish one I had. Get a Seasonic based one like Corsair.

17. Nocky24

Mobster

Yeh that psu should be absolutely fine.

18. Showboat

Wise Guy

Thanks siege2, gonna score one of those for the sake of a tenner.

19. baroniuk

Gangster

My computer in sig pulls no more than and i mean heavy o/c 440w from the wall! Hope that helps.

20. Franksi

Gangster

i had the Sonata case and the Earthwatts 500 PSU. The issue for me was the amps on the 12v rail not being high enough rather than the wattage available