GAME rentals - they arnt happy

Soldato
I have a mate who manages an independant console game shop. He says the only way to make any money worth making is with second hand stuff. Profit on new games is almost non existant... the supermarkets always undercut due to buying power so he ends up just selling the games for no profit and making his money when people come to trade in.

When you see £39.99 on a new game dont automatically think "god i bet this shops makes like 15-20 on this" as you would be very very WRONG.

People just want to buy a game... complete it and take it back and be offered a fair deal on the trade in, thats what he does and he has hundreds of regular customers who do it.

Soldato
Caustic said:
Basically, GAME were being nice, people abused it, and they are having to stop it. And now people are moaning about thow they charge more than supermarkets and online shops. *NO KIDDING*

Of course they charge more than online shops etc, but what is so great about GameStation? They have the same prices as game. High street shops have to! If you have a supermarket near you that sells cheap X360 games or whatever, good for you! Not everybody does.

As for people being surprised that shops like GAME make ~50% profit on a sale, well done, about time you realised how things work.

What I can't believe is how so few people are blaming the people who abuse it. That makes me angry.

I agree 100% with you Caustic. GAME had a policy in place that was to the consumers benefit. They allowed people to buy with the confidence that if they really didn't want the game then they could return it for a full refund or exchange.

It's quite obvious from these forums that they 10 day policy has been taken advantage of by many people here. I will hold my hand up and admit that I've made use of the policy a few times for legitimate reasons and once or twice for less moral reasons.

GAME's prices are exspensive in the high street because it's a high street shop. Comparing GAME to Tesco's is not a level playing field for many reasons. The price differences are often due to Tesco's multi-million pound buying power and the that Tesco's can afford to set prices lower to tempt customers in to shop around the rest of the store. If you look at Tesco's and brand name jeans and then compare the prices to the large clothing stores like Next or Topshop etc. then you will see a similar price setup to the GAME vs Tesco situation.

GAME still recieve some of my business (99.9% online) as I do find at times they are cheaper than some other stores. I also know that if I have a problem with a game (damaged disc etc.) that I can sort out the matter in the highstreet and don't have to bother with posting back and forth to offshore/online stores.

The bottom line is that GAME don't force people to shop with them. If you don't like the prices of the high street stores then don't shop there. I've walked into other highstreet stores and seen prices as high as GAME but I've not seen anybody complaining about those such stores ripping people off.

**Edit**
Just so people know, GAME, Gameplay and Gamestation are all individual companies.

Last edited:
Associate
Its been on the cards for so long - I stopped working there last May and there was talks about doing it then. Thats about the same time the PC 10-day stopped

Soldato
da_mic_1530 said:
According to MCV this move is a result of pressure from publishers.

http://www.clubskill.com/Game_News/3665/

I have never used this feature of GAME as i just keep all the games i buy,but its the pressure from publishers that makes some of the games being released for the 360 recently half finished.If i would have not bought Moto-gp 06 online the i would have taken it back to game and got a rufund,and i have never done that before.

Soldato
THC_SsSsSnake said:
But you could still exchange it for another title.

In the stores near me (i.e. Romford/Essex) theres a notice next to the till, it says whats included in the 10 day returns policy and theres a cross next to PC games but ticks next to everything else.

Maybe they meant you cant just get a refund on it.

Soldato
Game cant actually compete with Tesco's et al because (now i dont know if this is strictly true or not) but tescos in a lot of cases sell the software for LESS or the same as they buy it in for.

Guy who owns quite a busy computer and console shop said he is on sony's highest discount tier and he buys AAA titles like tourist trophey and the like for £29.95 Tescos sell it for £29.99 to get the punters in.
I would imagine that Tesco's and the like get their DVD's and stuff from THE ( i know they do) whereas Game stock comes straight from the Game warehouse, its understandable that Game will be more expensive, games and consoles are all they sell, they have to make their money off them.

Soldato
GAME is a rip off anyway, they charge near enough full price for most titles. Without the 10 day returns there is no reason to shop there at all.

Soldato
It is a common tactic. Supermarkets make their money on food etc and tempt more people to go in there with cheap CD's, DVD's and now Games.

They keep their costs down by:
- Only selling the top few.
- No 2nd hand section.
- Limited platforms.
- Limited space.
- No demo pods etc.
- No preorders.
- No special editions.
- No staff to ask.

But the irony is, people here don't seem to care that shops like GAME do have the following things. All they want is cheap games, even if they are selling at cost (almost loss-leaders) which is hurting the retailers.

I find it a real shame that nobody seems greatful of all the things that shops like GAME do offer and heap praise on supermarkets who don't care about gamers at all.

I ask you this: Was it an online store, supermarket or high street shop that made a fuss when Beyond Good & Evil was released and the staff suggested it. Or a copy of Psychonauts put on the demo pod. Answer? GAME.

So who actually cares about games?

Soldato
Zico said:
**Edit**
Just so people know, GAME, Gameplay and Gamestation are all individual companies.

Whilst I had always assumed so too but hasnt it been proved in another thread that game and gameplay are controlled by the same company in the uk ?

Associate
Caustic said:
It is a common tactic. Supermarkets make their money on food etc and tempt more people to go in there with cheap CD's, DVD's and now Games.

They keep their costs down by:
- Only selling the top few.
- No 2nd hand section.
- Limited platforms.
- Limited space.
- No demo pods etc.
- No preorders.
- No special editions.
- No staff to ask.

But the irony is, people here don't seem to care that shops like GAME do have the following things. All they want is cheap games, even if they are selling at cost (almost loss-leaders) which is hurting the retailers.

I find it a real shame that nobody seems greatful of all the things that shops like GAME do offer and heap praise on supermarkets who don't care about gamers at all.

I ask you this: Was it an online store, supermarket or high street shop that made a fuss when Beyond Good & Evil was released and the staff suggested it. Or a copy of Psychonauts put on the demo pod. Answer? GAME.

So who actually cares about games?

All the info i need on games is online from somewhere or other and normally from multiple sites with non biased customer previews and reviews too.

I therefore don't need advice from game shop staff trying to flog a game that isn't selling or glossy £6 magazines that are sponsored to say something is worth 99%.

I read reviews/previews, maybe play a demo on xbox live, then buy it for as cheap as I can.

Associate
soundwave said:
TBH the only reason I ever buy from GAME is because of the 10 day return.

If I dont like the game after a few hours & I'm not going to want to keep it, it goes back.

If I know for a fact it's a game I'll enjoy & want to play all the time...Pro Evo, Football Manager, Madden etc. then I just buy it online straight away.

GAME is more for random purchases for me.

Looks like I'll have to shop elsewhere in future then.

Neil

This sums up my thoughts exactly... GAME maybe hammering in the nails themselves when it comes to a large portion of impulse buyers that like to browse for games they have not heard much about to buy on a day of boredum.

Back
Top Bottom