1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Server connection requirements?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Bones, 16 Jan 2006.

1. Bones

Wise Guy

I am thinking of running my own game server for Return to Castle wolfenstein (Quake3 engine) and was wondering if my connection will be enough to support at least 14 players. i have a 10mb line which i am sure is also 10mb upload aswell cos when i upload files onto ftp i get 1mb per sec upload.

If this connection is plenty could i run multiple games like a Q4 server aswell for 3v3 matches? :D

thanks

2. Phil99

Capodecina

Well, for this I'll assume you own the connection and have full access to the modem/router you connect through.

1MB/s up is 8mbps, so yeah, that sounds right.

That will easily cope with RTCW, probably up to 64 players (hell, I ran about 10 on 256kbps ADSL)

All you need to do is point the appropriate range of ports to the server, though I forget what these are now.

What is the connection by the way? If it's a Uni connection you stand approximately 0 chance of running a game server to the outside world most of the time.

edit:

Go for it! :D

3. Bones

Wise Guy

lol busted!!!

thanks for the help :)

4. HangTime

Man of Honour

A 10mbit connection should handle up to 64 clients without too much hassle (gives about 16k/sec each). Obviously if this is a shared connection that would need to be taken into consideration.

However bear in mind that if your server gets full it will likely have quite a hefty cpu/memory requirement. A quick google suggests that you should have around 30mjz per client slot and 128meg free memory. So, something like a 2ghz cpu and 256meg ram should be sufficient, assuming it's a dedicated server.

5. axer

Mobster

16k/sec is a little overkill, older games require only about 3-5k upstream at the most

6. HangTime

Man of Honour

Indeed, but I was under the impression that RTCW had maxclients 64 anyway :).

Also bear in mind that while 3-5k/sec seems ok as an average, peak bandwidth usage on a server with a large number of clients can exceed that, e.g. if a large number of players are in a big open space together shooting particle weapons. In cases like that some of the clients can be using upwards of 20k/sec, assuming the server and client both allow high enough rates.