GAME shutting over 100 UK shops

Soldato
They should ditch all the scruffy BO smelling Gamestations and then get a bit more realistic with their pricing in the remaining Game stores.

Soldato
Actually, now I think about it there are 4 Game stores within a 5 minute walking distance of each other in Southampton.

They often have different prices too bizarrely, many a time i've saved a fiver by walking round all 4 stores if I saw something cheap in one.

I'll be interested to see which ones they close (assuming they do) as the one in West Quay is clearly the best located one but it's about half the size of the Bargate/East Street stores.

It just smacks of stupidity higher up though, who was authorising so many store openings in such proximity? They'd have been far better off getting a bigger spot in West Quay to start with and getting rid of the other two GAME stores then.

I'm sure it's similar in many of the other places they've done this.

Associate
shops are still good if you want to buy a game on the weekend

sure you can get next day delivery during the week, but youre paying for postage, then theres the wait, possibility of lost/damage items in post.

shops are still good for something lol

Man of Honour
shops are still good if you want to buy a game on the weekend

sure you can get next day delivery during the week, but youre paying for postage, then theres the wait, possibility of lost/damage items in post.

shops are still good for something lol

Digital downloads, don't even have to leave your house.

There's still a huge market but it is declining.

Soldato
I have not purchased a game from a shop in years
I always get games off the interweb and its cheaper too.

Same here. I always pop in and have a look what's on show but the PC market in Game has been dying for years. Most games on sale there can be had for £5 - £10 cheaper on the net.

The one in Bristol is always packed with kids buying for their consoles.

Man of Honour
I worked for them for years whilst at Uni. they are reducing stores as leases expire which means its a 3 year process. They have also ended the contract with Debenhams for the range of concession stores they have.

They had a policy of not closing stores after aquisitons - most of the duplication is as a result of Electronics Boutique buying Game in the late 90's. They then took on the GAME brand instead.

Soldato
We've got 2 games and a gamestation in Brighton, all 1min walk from each other, could probably do with one or two of those closing.
I normally buy online but sometimes buy in stores if I'm in town.

Soldato
most game stores are ;)

This was a bit above and beyond. I worked in the 'nice' store, and my boss was a legend. This other manager was always berating staff, slagging them off and blaming them for his mistakes. There was also a (very) persistent rumour that he embezzled thousands of reward card points, by quietly swiping his own card when customers didn't have one.

Back
Top Bottom