GAME shutting over 100 UK shops

Associate
Was announced months ago that GAME were going to close 100 stores.

Still, has to happen, is just too many of them within proximity of each other.

I'm sure we will see GAME exit some european markets as well.

Associate
Don't be so hasty to cheer the shrinking retail sector, especially in the field of gaming.

An exclusive digital download market would not be as rosy as some seem to think.

Associate
There are numerous in and around Liverpool, even though they're usually quite busy I'm supprised in the slightest, Gamestation seems to be more popular these days due to their second hand offering.

With regards to online sales, I still like to be able to browse games in the flesh and make a spontaneous purchase, maybe it's nostalgia more than anything...

Associate
In Milton Keynes city centre there are two GAME's and one gamestation. One of the GAME's is directly opposite to gamestation. Which genius thought that up?

Associate
This isn't going to change much at all really. In Bromley we used to have 2 GAME's and a Gamestation all within walking distance of each other. They simply have too many stores that compete with each other. They really do just need to get rid of some of them.

Associate
I buy 90% of my games from 'That Jersey' site but I've still got some good deals in shops before (they seem to be quicker at implementing price drop than online stores). In Crawley there are 2 Game's within about 200 yards of each other. The reason being one is in the shopping mall and one is not, I was just thinking that they could easily rent a larger unit in the Mall and merge the two guess thier management might just do that.

Soldato
Why buy online for stuff like games.
It's usually no cheaper, takes longer to reach you and you're subject to a delivery charge.
I'd prefer to take the 10 minute drive into town, buy my game and drive home. Estimated time taken 22 minutes maybe?

Associate
Only one here in maidstone, but its run by a bunch of muppets. We do have a brilliant little comic/game shop though, run by a real top bloke. Nice and friendly, allways give him my business when im in the area.

Would rather have a highstreet of 3rd party shops with a slight price increase or just reasonable prices tbh. The little tick the game in town loves to pull is the, oh we only have the 'special edition' version of that game, its £10 extra :mad: happend allmost every other time i went in.

Soldato
There seems to be too many of them grouped together so I don't think this will make much difference other than to the people who will be laid off :(

Man of Honour
It's usually no cheaper, takes longer to reach you and you're subject to a delivery charge.
I'd prefer to take the 10 minute drive into town, buy my game and drive home. Estimated time taken 22 minutes maybe?

They are usually cheaper and free delivery.

Download is usually slightly more expensive. But you get it alost instantly (broadband speed dependent), no cd and no chance of glossing it or scratching.

Associate

They must fall off a back of a lorry then.

Game charge £34.99 for a half decent new release where as online sites will be £24.99 - 28.99 with free delivery so you save £6-10 which is a fair amount.

Where Game do better is year old releases. I've found two or three games in a Game which the online retailer might still be asking the original price for, which in Game is about £15-20.

Associate

I used to think like this.

But personally I think they overcharge for some of there games (even the old ones) too many staff members just doing nothing and not a very big selection, that is why I purchase online, I do on occasions buy them in store BUT it’s less and less these days.

Back
Top Bottom