GAME shutting over 100 UK shops

Associate
GAME pricing is often stupid but you can sometimes find good deals. I've seen pre-owned games being sold for more then a brand new copy though which is completely ludicrous.

Soldato
Only one here in maidstone, but its run by a bunch of muppets. We do have a brilliant little comic/game shop though, run by a real top bloke. Nice and friendly, allways give him my business when im in the area.

Would rather have a highstreet of 3rd party shops with a slight price increase or just reasonable prices tbh. The little tick the game in town loves to pull is the, oh we only have the 'special edition' version of that game, its £10 extra :mad: happend allmost every other time i went in.

There were two game stores in Maidstone, but they closed the one in the Chequers centre and replaced it with a Gamestation, so essentially the same thing :p

I think a lot of people are forgetting how big the console market is, a lot of people are talking about digital distribution etc in this thread but that really only applies (to a significant level) to the PC market. If fact the only place I see PC games these days is probably Tesco and Game. HMV in town have certainly stopped dealing with them :(

Soldato
well tbh I don't go into game in truro because they are numptys.
told someone that he can't use live because he's on BT Internet.........
every time I go in there looking for a game I end up leaving while doing an epic facepalm.
the local independent however is uber.

Soldato
To be fair they have too many! Two in the trafford centre, TWO!?!

Reform, and concentrate on the online store more will be a good thing.

Associate
Two Game Stores (1 that used to be EB) and Gamestation less than 5 mins walk from each other in Whampton, yeah i won't mind loosing one.

Tbh i never use game for big purchases anymore anyway, theyre just to expensive compared to online offers. Thats where they're shooting themselves in the foot. I only really use them when they have sales on or holiday offers and theres a bargain i want. Even then its rare to find an actual bargain.

Man of Honour
In Milton Keynes city centre there are two GAME's and one gamestation. One of the GAME's is directly opposite to gamestation. Which genius thought that up?

I explained exactly why its the case but you seemed to ignore it.

I'll try again.

The company had a policy of not closing stores when they aquired new business. In the late 1990's, EB aquired Game and for some time each town/shopping centre had a GAME and an EB - perceived by the market to be competition - and some larger towns had a Debenhams/House of Fraser concession as well, making a total of 3 stores in some cities and more in others.

However in 2002 the decision was taken to rebrand all the stores under the same name, and GAME was the name chosen. But they still didn't close the duplicate stores, instead remaining loyal to the staff who worked in them etc.

This has produced the situation today where many towns have 3 or more branches of GAME.

Personally I really enjoyed my time with them - I worked there from the day I left school and figured I ought to get a job to buy some computer hardware with until the week before I started my graduate job.

Obviously you'll get idiots in some of the stores but they do pay peanuts and as a result they do tend to get monkeys, same as any business really.

I do think this is all being a tad over-stated. The company has massive overlap and is not vanishing from the high street any time soon. They've not made a loss, merely a reduction in profit.

The store closures are an obvious, sensible and long overdue business decision.

Just glad it took them ages, as my old store is one thats going :p

Associate
We've got two GAME's and a Gamestation in Bradford. I think they're better for console and hardware purchases usually - with decent bulk 'special offers' etc. But for the most part it's cheaper to buy from 'that' Jersey site. Pretty much next day (free) delivery - can't go wrong really.

Soldato
2 on Canterbury high street, 1 GAME store and 1 Gamestation. I can still remember when the GAME store was Electronics Boutique. Arguably, they are opposite ends of the town, but they have exactly the same pricing on everything. They also have stupid pricing in some cases e.g. preowned games being more expensive than newer ones. The Gamestation is much busier, and slightly bigger but this is only because it is closer to Whitefriars (shopping center area) and all the public transport links.

As others have said, if one closes, I'd just go to the other. They are practically identical. I rarely buy games from them though, seeing as they are cheaper online, with some exceptions - I've picked up a couple of reasonably priced pre-owned ones, and their strategy guides are priced extremely competitively, most being pulled down to £5 which I think is reasonable. We also have an indie store I think, but they sell older games to my knowledge... N64, Dreamcast etc, I'll have to check them out.

Caporegime
Tend to pop in there sometimes when I on a lunch break. Usually buy via online though not always. I do remember when it was 'Electronics Boutique'. I still use on of their dust covers to put the antec skeleton to sleep at night. :D

Associate
I have found that the pc section seems to get smaller every time I go in, years ago the PC section used to be massive. This is the main reason I now buy most of purchases online, the other is that its generally cheaper.

Man of Honour
I have found that the pc section seems to get smaller every time I go in, years ago the PC section used to be massive. This is the main reason I now buy most of purchases online, the other is that its generally cheaper.

Hardly anyone buys PC games on the high street, which is the problem, and those that do invariably encounter problems when the TOP OF THE RANGE PC they bought in 2003 wont run the game.

Back
Top Bottom