Gamers Nexus criticise Thermaltake

Soldato
Really good video, that T100 Snow would be an ideal case for me in terms of layout and design I really like the look of tall chimney cooled cases but what were they thinking with the cooling its frustrating.

Man of Honour
Seems a bit unnecessarily needling about certain things like temperature in terms of the marketing that most companies have been doing for years even though it is technically wrong. But too many companies have been going down this road of pushing out **** and telling the consumer it is what they want and it does none of us any favours if it isn't dealt with. Especially frustrating when a company has what should be an excellent product but let down by 1-2 things that boggles the mind they couldn't have noticed and fixed before launch.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I think he's overstepped here. The temperature argument while correct, is pedantic. The Kelvin scale is not for consumers. You turn the heating up from 20 to 30 degrees in your home, it's going to feel more like 50% hotter as opposed to 3.4% hotter.

The arguments on the case is fair enough. But I don't know why he thinks Tt, or any manufacturer for that matter, should listen to him. Especially not now after such an egotistical rant.

Soldato
I think he's overstepped here. The temperature argument while correct, is pedantic. The Kelvin scale is not for consumers. You turn the heating up from 20 to 30 degrees in your home, it's going to feel more like 50% hotter as opposed to 3.4% hotter.

The arguments on the case is fair enough. But I don't know why he thinks Tt, or any manufacturer for that matter, should listen to him. Especially not now after such an egotistical rant.

Nearly 200k views after a day of course they are going to take notice. Yes he is blunt and his humour is a bit marmite but most of the time he does make sense.

Soldato
I don’t know about this. It is probably more comedy than anything else.

Anyone has competence to put in an AIO into a system will have some knowledge of PC parts and what each does and what affects performance. As soon as I saw that RAM cooler my first thought is “Oh another RGB thing, looks neat, gonna be expensive and not necessary”. So most people will know that...people who buy these will buy these not for performance but purely based on aesthetics and prestige of having something ridiculously expensive to show to the YouTube community. It’s a vanity item, it’s petty of him to lay into it in that way. I haven’t seen any of the market material he accused of TT producing. So I suspect it is material given to him during presentation as I can’t seem to find those charts or wording he s referring to on the web. So those aren’t public available information so TT is not doing anything wrong there. He chose to disclose not publicly available information to discredit, I think that’s fairly disingenuous.

the case looks like a prototype to me. I don’t think he needs to go into it that much. Yes it doesn’t look good as performance goes but again it is a prototype so chances are there will be developments before it hits the market. He probably should have just highlighted the issues with the prototype rather than lay into it like that.

Quite typical of his video, highly opinionated sort of go all out leave nothing style which in term will come back and haunt him.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quite typical of his video, highly opinionated sort of go all out leave nothing style which in term will come back and haunt him.

I dunno - some of it was unnecessary or even egotistical but at the same time these companies have had plenty of time to take the kind of feedback people like GN have provided them with and do better and they simply haven't and IMO it isn't acceptable even though far too many consumers are passive about it and sadly just accept being shovelled **** while being told it is great and what they want.

Same with video games, etc. of late - slapped out 80% working and even the glaring issues that would be simple to fix and have a big negative on the experience never get sorted yet people flock to buy the latest game yet again :(

Caporegime
Must be embarrassing for them as they seemingly haven't a clue wtf they're doing. Said a lot when they claimed a 20% temp difference when it was actually 3% when worked out properly.

That case with the psu filter at the bottom with no holes for ventilation was also a face palm moment, the only holes were tabs for the filter.

Soldato
T100 that’s the only I was able to watch through.
It's a terrible in that iteration though, isnt it? And this is a case Thermaltake are presenting the press remember, it's not just a quick mockup - it's supposed to be near production ready. but no ventilation for gpus, no intake for the psu and when questioned Thermaltake said they'd put a hole in so you can mount the psu the correct way...which would screw up the cooling as there would then be only 1 case fan and that's it. Intake or exhaust; you choose, but you cant have both...

It's a laughing stock, Steve quite rightly **** all over it. Anybody else in the press should have done the same IMO.

Soldato
It's a terrible in that iteration though, isnt it?
that case is horrendous, it is basically a solid box. the bottom fan doesn;t have any vents, it just sits on a solid piece of plastic and the mesh filter was a gimmick.

I honestly think Steve might have forgotten that someone told him it is a prototype not production ready, or someone at TT forgot to mention it. things like that happen. and there are many elements of the case would suggest it is a prototype (they need something to show ppl, and the pandemic probably shut the factory that produce these sort of prototypes meant earlier prototype had to be used as opposed to one thats close to production). anyways, if that case is production ready, then not many ppl will be using it for sure

Man of Honour
Perhaps it is just me but more recently GN seems to have quite often seemingly tried to position themselves as some sort of messiah of tech, for want of a better word, when it comes to these sorts of pieces. I don't know if it's just me but certainly over the past year or so much more of the content comes across as a bit cringe worthy to me as a casual viewer. I used to watch all the content but this sort of piece from them just doesn't interest me anymore and although I did watch it and parts of it came across fairly well, for the most part I was cringing all the way through. Airing dirty laundry and conversations had behind closed doors is a brilliant way to further sour that relationship.

Man of Honour
Yeah finding it increasingly cringe worthy as well - some of it is justified but now they seem to be trying too hard.

Soldato
the whole argument about temps % is pointless. it's marketing BS which is standard.
the comments about the case are valid, as are about ram cooling. would be better with just the latter discussion rather than the pedantry.

Man of Honour
Yeah finding it increasingly cringe worthy as well - some of it is justified but now they seem to be trying too hard.

My thoughts as well it's just such a shame as I don't remember them producing any of this sort of content a few years back. It used to be about the tech.

Soldato
Airing dirty laundry and conversations had behind closed doors is a brilliant way to further sour that relationship.
Absolutely agree. Most of the materials he has in that video are not public information. It was given to him or presented to him in confidence (one would assume) possibly to gauge his opinion. Putting his thoughts like that on YouTube is going to back fire. No respectable company wants to work with someone that volatile.

I also recall a video in Feb that he did to praise TT in their up and coming range of cases they have in the summer based on what he seen as prototype.

It would have been far better for him to sort his issues (anger) out with TT then do the video in a balanced way or indeed if there are anything to report on.

hey-ho, I guess being angry and controversial will certainly also get you a livelihood.

Back
Top Bottom