Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
Funnily enough both of my previous pairs were open sennheisers, not sure what made me go for the closed hyperx ones. I see the dt990 and the akg k702 mentioned frequently, would either be worth switch to? Wired is fine

Associate
Funnily enough both of my previous pairs were open sennheisers, not sure what made me go for the closed hyperx ones. I see the dt990 and the akg k702 mentioned frequently, would either be worth switch to? Wired is fine

The only reason I went with the HD 599's was because of a recommendation from a friend. Comparing the 599's to the K702's on Rtings, the K702 have better imaging, soundstage and mid accuracy, but the HD 599's have better treble, Frequency Response Consistency and handles Peaks/Dips slightly better. HD 599 vs. DT990 is pretty similar, except in this scenario, the HD 599's have the better soundstage. The same friend that recommended the HD 599 to me also said that the DT990 can sound pretty harsh on the highs, and multiple Youtube reviews claimed the same thing. I suppose it's all down to what kind of sound you want, but I think the 599's are a more relaxed, all-round sound, and they're great for everything I use them for (high-res music, watching Youtube videos, and playing mainly eSports titles [Apex Legends, Valorant, CS:GO etc.])

Permabanned
Running a Creative AE-7 which drives a pair of AKG K712 pro.

Best spatial soundstage I've managed to get, I really love it. I've tried seinsy gsx etc but it had way to much reverberation.
The AE-7 coupled with the right headphones once and for all in my opinion proves that virtual surround actually works.
Great for music too in stereo direct

Permabanned
Asus Xonar ST and Sennheiser HD595.

Upgrading in 2021 to HD 660s and whatever the top soundcard is. The worst pair i owned was the much touted Fidelio X1 that sounded like tin cans and promptly got refunded.

Associate
Currently running a Soundblaster G6 -> K712 Pro with my PC and PS4.

keeping a close eye on the PS5 setup though, as they’ve dropped the Optical port. They’re still supporting USB audio devices, but it seems their 3D audio solution only outputs over USB to select devices. That’ll mess up the profiles on my G6, so I may have to look towards another solution for that.

Soldato
OP
Currently running a Soundblaster G6 -> K712 Pro with my PC and PS4.

keeping a close eye on the PS5 setup though, as they’ve dropped the Optical port. They’re still supporting USB audio devices, but it seems their 3D audio solution only outputs over USB to select devices. That’ll mess up the profiles on my G6, so I may have to look towards another solution for that.
Yeah, keeping an eye on this as well.

Associate
I'm looking to get a proper audio set up but I probably need a lot of help in this area. How does this look?

Gaming
Beyerdynamic DT 990, fiio e10k

Music
Audio engine A2+, AE D1

I'm not sure if there's a combined AMP/DAC I'd be best buying?

Associate
I'm looking to get a proper audio set up but I probably need a lot of help in this area. How does this look?

Gaming
Beyerdynamic DT 990, fiio e10k

Music
Audio engine A2+, AE D1

I'm not sure if there's a combined AMP/DAC I'd be best buying?

Re headphones, get the 32ohm models and you won't need an amp. But regardless you'll want a surround decoder really. Soundblaster is a good choice. There are internal and external cards available.

You could also opt for a "gaming" headset and use the motherboard audio and/or windows sonic sound. Not sure how good Windows Dolby Atmos is. This would save money to spend more on speakers.

Is your motherboard audio any good?
Do you play FPS and want immersion or competitive sound?
Are you against the idea of going full budget into either HP or speakers?

I'd start a new thread tbh :)

Associate
Re headphones, get the 32ohm models and you won't need an amp. But regardless you'll want a surround decoder really. Soundblaster is a good choice. There are internal and external cards available.

You could also opt for a "gaming" headset and use the motherboard audio and/or windows sonic sound. Not sure how good Windows Dolby Atmos is. This would save money to spend more on speakers.

Is your motherboard audio any good?
Do you play FPS and want immersion or competitive sound?
Are you against the idea of going full budget into either HP or speakers?

I'd start a new thread tbh :)

I'm waiting for my new build to arrive, whenever a 3080 is eventually in stock, but I've just standard on board audio.

I play FPS, but really all genre of games so probably immersion for when I decide to play something else I guess.

Associate
Well you could potentially skip the speakers altogether and go with £100 on a dac and a few hundred or several hundred on some HPs. The dt990s aren't great with non electronic music imho, but still very acceptable. Maybe even good for people who've not tried any other HPs.

You could check on your new MB what the audio chip is and if it supports high impedance HPs. I have ALC1200 on my MB and it's fine with 32ohm dt990s. I just tried vs 2 other external DACs and can't really tell any difference, maybe a tad more bass from the MB audio, but i could easily be imagining that. This is for music.

For gaming i quickly tried some Halo Firefight with onboard audio with Windows Sonic enabled and it's alright. But using real surround decoder from my AV receiver, there is night and day difference in precision, depth, positioning and general quality overall.

Hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom