1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

games for young children?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by arknor, 9 Apr 2010.

1. arknor

Caporegime

anyone know any good games for young children around the age of 6 (he can read pretty well so they dont need to be really simple)

i know theres nickelodeons toontown (free young kids mmo) but what other good fun kids games are there i can stick my young one on?

my local library had some kids playing a mario type learning games a few months back but i never thought to ask what it was.

i had a google but the majority of games that came up for children look to be utter rubbish that wouldnt entertain for more than a few minutes

2. meths

Mobster

I know this is the PC forum but if you've got a PS3 I'd recommend Little Big Planet. Added bonus is that you can play it with him.

3. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

Dead Space
    Resident Evil 4
    Possibly Doom 3
    Saw

Sorry... I don't actually have any real suggestions! :p

4. FoxEye

Caporegime

Anything on the Wii. Seriously, that console is perfect for 6 year olds.

5. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

Yeah, tons of games on the wii which are perfect. :)

6. Admiral Huddy

Caporegime

Jump Ahead Games.. Our kids played these from 3 upwards. My wife and I were talking about these the other day and we swear it set our kids off to a good start..

7. Guest2

Capodecina

May aswell give them something to train their brains. Get him playing Starcraft 2. He will be a master by 12

8. Parky

Wise Guy

Another vote for the Wii here, lots of good games there. You could try a Gameboy/DS, Pokemon is always a winner :)

9. RabbiJacob

Hitman

Agreed, anything on the Wii/DS

My 3 year old daughter loves Peppa Pig and Dora games on our DS

10. starskysdad

Associate

Any of the lego games - both my sons have played them for years and one of them is now 9 and the other is 6.

They play them on PC, Wii and PS3 and there is a new one coming out this year based on Harry potter!

11. Antar Bolaeisk

Sgarrista

Plants vs Zombies

12. Schnippzle

Mobster

Leisure Suit Larry.

13. Guest2

Capodecina

I had Land of the lounge lizards. I remember playing it when I was about 13. To certify you were over 18 at the start of the game it would ask you 5 questions. I always used to ask my mum and dad and even they didnt know. I think I only managed to play it 3 times, was fun trying to guess all the questions right though!

I still remember the intro music and im humming it in my head now :o

14. Cold Fusion

Hitman

Peggle
    Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

Just some suggestions

15. nands

Mobster

My 7 and 4 year olds play the Lego games - they love them. They play on the Wii mind, don't need them on the PC!

16. RabbiJacob

Hitman

Same! although my parents wouldn't let me play it so I always asked my grandparents to answers the questions instead, great game!

17. Angleboy

Gangster

Toki Tori, Braid, Plants vs Zomies (bit easy), Portal

anything thats going to stimulate their minds in a good, but challenging way whilst being fun really.

18. FoxEye

Caporegime

There is no way a 6 year old is understanding these games :p

Trust me. Put a typical 6yo with Toki Tori and watch the kid get frustrated and annoyed. I've tried, btw, with a real life 6yo :p

You need things like Wii sports which is easy to understand. 6yo comprehension and problem solving is very weak.

19. meths

Mobster

My mate's 6 year old like to drive the police cars around the city in GTA IV.

I just need to keep him away from the drugs, guns and hookers though and turn down the character's voices to protect his young ears from bad words.

20. snowdog

Capodecina

I'd try to let my son play some strategy games. Something like Settlers that would teach him about materials and stuff. Something like transport tycoon or rolleroaster tycoon to help him with maths and a bit of logistics. A nice racing game or shooter which ain't too bad for kids for some reflexes training.

Trackmania is great for kids I think.

I'd avoid ''for kids'' dumbed down games though...