• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Games, how many cores do you need?

Caporegime
One of the age old questions.

"You only need 4 cores" A statement made by Intel back when AMD had pretty poor gaming performance and the highest core count CPU Intel would sell you on the mainstream was 4, Intel was competing with its self and didn't feel like it needed to tempt us with higher production cost 6 and 8 core CPUs in the mainstream, how true that statement actually was i'll leave for you to decide.

Move forward to 2016 when AMD launched its new and high cores count Zen architecture, Ryzen 1000, 4 to 8 cores with Simultaneous Multi-threading, Hyper Threading when talking about Intel, they are the same thing.

The IPC was up a massive 52% from Excavator and 70% from the dreadful Bulldozer / Vishera (FX series CPU's)

This forced Intel to released their first Coffeelake architecture, leading that pack was the 6 core 12 thread 8700K, a very good CPU and with higher clock speeds and IPC than AMD's Ryzen 1000.
in 2017 AMD improved the Zen architecture with Ryzen 2000, slightly higher IPC and clock speeds, this brought AMD's IPC to about 95% that of Coffeelake but still with lower clock speeds.

Intel reacted by refreshing Coffeelake giving us an 8 core 16 thread variant in the 9900K, but at around £500 it was much more expensive than AMD's £330 2700X.

In 2019 redesigned the Zen architecture again resulting in Zen 2, the clock speeds are again up slightly but this time with a 15% IPC up lift over the previous generation Ryzen 2000 (Zen+) that put AMD's IPC about 10% ahead of Coffeelake but with maximum clocks of about 4.4 to 4.5Ghz still about 12 to 14% behind Intel's 5Ghz, however the clock speeds and IPC differences pretty much cancel eachother out so the gaming performance difference while still slightly in favour of Intel are so close they are indistinguishable.

That's where we are at now, today we have so many options, from 4 cores without SMT to 12 and soon 16 cores with SMT.

I already have my personal view, that is 6 cores 12 threads minimum if you are on Mid range performance GPU's, to simplify that just looking at Nvidia: GTX 980TI / GTX 1070 / RTX 2060 or AMD equivalents.
So 8700K or Ryzen 3600/X.
That will give you a GPU upgrade path to something faster over the next couple of years when hopefully significantly higher performance GPU start coming down to more reasonable 'and mid range pricing' £300 to £350.

I honestly just don't think even a 6 core without SMT, like a 9600K is a good idea for a 2 to 3 years CPU.

Games these days are just not "single thread or only use upto 4 cores" that IMO has not been true for a long time, until more recently we just haven't had the GPU power to push CPU's that far, now we do, even in the higher mid range GPU's.

Below in the spoiler is what can happen when your GPU power far out strips your CPU power.

7600K 4 core 4 thread @4.2Ghz vs Ryzen 1600/X 6 core 12 thread @ 3.4Ghz.

From the video, looking up at the Sky Intel is faster, pan back down to the ground the i5 craters with massive stutter, while the Ryzen 1600/X remains smooth and is pushing near double the frame rates of the i5.
This is because the i5 doesn't have enough cores / threads to keep up with the GPU, with that the GPU stalls and stutters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI&t=308

CHmOGdu.png

Bottom right blue line = i5.

That's now quite old, and Crysis 3 is an even older game, 2012. You would never have seen that in 2012 with a 2012 GPU and a 4 core.

But this isn't 2012 and 'per core' performance has not moved that much since then, Moore's Law is hitting a wall, now its about "more cores"

So again, how many?

Testing Games just made a pretty handy little video that could help answer that.

He ran 5 games with an RTX 2080, so high end GPU, with 6 to 12 core CPU's with SMT off.

His results.

BFV:
4 cores: 96 FPS
6 cores: 149 FPS
8 cores: 167 FPS
10 Cores: 173 FPS
12 cores: 174 FPS

Rainbow Six:
4 cores: 269 FPS
6 cores: 315 FPS
8 cores: 329 FPS
10 Cores: 334 FPS
12 cores: 337 FPS

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
4 cores: 62 FPS
6 cores: 87 FPS
8 cores: 109 FPS
10 Cores: 116 FPS
12 cores: 119 FPS

HITMAN 2
4 cores: 93 FPS
6 cores: 108 FPS
8 cores: 113 FPS
10 Cores: 116 FPS
12 cores: 119 FPS

The Witcher 3
4 cores: 101 FPS
6 cores: 137 FPS
8 cores: 151 FPS
10 Cores: 154 FPS
12 cores: 158 FPS

As you can see in 4 out of 5 games there the RTX 2080 doesn't get to stretch its legs until 8 real cores are on the chip, i say 8 real core because 4 core 8 thread is very different to 8 cores 8 thread, on Intel Hyperthreading gains you about 25%, on AMD SMT gains you about 35%.

This is why i think for mid range a 6 core 12 thread CPU is needed, 8700K or 3600/X it really doesn't matter which they are the same performance.

If you are already on a 2080TI you need a 9900K or a 3700X / 3800X, or if you want real piece of mind a 3900X or later a 3950X.

Thank you for reading, comment as you like :)

Last edited:
Soldato
As you can see in 4 out of 5 games there the RTX 2080 doesn't get to stretch its legs until 8 real cores are on the chip, i say 8 real core because 4 core 8 thread is very different to 8 cores 8 thread, on Intel Hyperthreading gains you about 25%, on AMD SMT gains you about 35%.

Yes and no.

8 cores are better than 4c 8t in principle but you need to actually check the numbers since, for example, a 7700k has no problem being at 5GHz and thus gains a different advantage to having more real threads.

I have yet to see a comparison which suggests a good position to ditch a high clocked 4c 8t for more real threads for gaming.

I have seen one which shows a 4c 4t (at stock?) struggling for sure.

Caporegime
OP
Yes and no.

8 cores are better than 4c 8t in principle but you need to actually check the numbers since, for example, a 7700k has no problem being at 5GHz and thus gains a different advantage to having more real threads.

I have yet to see a comparison which suggests a good position to ditch a high clocked 4c 8t for more real threads for gaming.

I'm not saying you should ditch it, yes these are at stock and a 7700K at 5Ghz is still a capable CPU, depending on the GPU, an RTX 2080 yes probably, but IMO only just, an RTX 2080TI, no, for that you need an 8700K / Ryzen 3600/X.

You already have a 7700K at 5Ghz and i agree its perfectly capable, the point i'm making is you wouldn't buy that today for a higher end GPU and plan on keeping it for another GPU upgrade in 2 or 3 years, it just wouldn't be able to keep up, again you would need an 8700K / 3600/X minimum.

Permabanned
9900K @ 5Ghz vs 3800X @ 4.5Ghz, little in it, 5% or less to the 9900K.

but im talking 8700k that is 340 quid At this second

for gaming 8700k still is best chip. And You dont end up ******* around with beta biosses and memory problems.

Even by yours video 9900k is better gaming opton. You end up p[aying more for plug and play situation. Not to mention if you put any heavy workload on that [email protected] 99% chacnce it will crash those clocks are not trully stable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
but im talking 8700k that is 340 quid At this second

for gaming 8700k still is best chip. And You dont end up ******* around with beta biosses and memory problems.

Even by yours video 9900k is better gaming opton. You end up p[aying more for plug and play situation.

So i've given you a live 'overclocked' side by side comparison (what you asked for) you've given me at stock bar charts.

We can spend the entire thread pulling infinite reviews from the internet to argue round and round in circles contradicting eachothers results to make some sort of point that's completely off topic, if you want to make the argument that an 8700K or 9900K are the only option for "true performance" go right ahead i really don't care, it's a complete derailment of the point i'm trying to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we've got to the stage with CPUs now where surely a Ryzen 3600 does the job for any high resolution (4k or utltrawide gaming).

Anything more is future proofing for the sake of not really future proofing.

I have an 8086k but if I were building a rig today, surely chucking in a cheap 3600 and then just upgrading with the next Ryzen refresh [when the 3600 starts slowing down] is the best option.

For gaming, surely the 3600 becomes irrelavant around the time the rest of the CPUs do, and given it has an included cooler and the motherboard has a clear upgrade path; it just seems like a no brainer or am I missing something?

For the sake of 10-15 fps when we're already over 100, I'd rather have the option to be able to upgrade my CPU next year or the year after without having to replace the motherboard, cooler and whatever else may be needed. And for someonew new buying, surely the saved £200 would be better served on GPU, monitor or sound rather than 10 or so extra fps [when we're already in high FPS territory].

Permabanned
So i've given you a live side by side comparison, you've given me bar charts.

We can spend the entire thread pulling infinite reviews from the internet to argue round and round in circles contradicting eachothers results to make some sort of point that's completely off topic, if you want to make the argument that an 8700K or 9900K are the only option for "true performance" go right ahead i really don't care, it's a complete derailment of the point i'm trying to make.
Side by side 3800x that is not fully stable is slower by around 5% from what You say than Intel. Where is contradiction You know best I got more time than You and can spend 10 hours and drop about 30 reviews that wont contradict anyrthing just will prove that 9900k is faster than 3800x but costs more. So tell me where I am wrong >?? That intel is 5% faster that it costs More or that [email protected] is gaming only stable. Please tell me.

Caporegime
OP
Side by side 3800x that is not fully stable is slower by around 5% from what You say than Intel. Where is contradiction You know best I got more time than You and can spend 10 hours and drop about 30 reviews that wont contradict anyrthing just will prove that 9900k is faster than 3800x but costs more. So tell me where I am wrong >?? That intel is 5% faster that it costs More or that [email protected] is gaming only stable. Please tell me.

The CPU you have in that review is a 3600, i have one, runs at about 4Ghz in high end GPU games where it is more stressed. the 8700K is running at 4.5Ghz to 4.7Ghz depending on the motherboard, if its running at 4.7Ghz its 'overclocking' potential is not great.

I can get mine to 4.15Ghz no problem, 3600X are better i've seen them at about 4.3 to 4.4Ghz, the Infinity Fabric which makes a much larger difference will get to 1900Mhz.

Again what you asked for was overclocked benchmarks, that's what i gave you and the results are 5% or less to a 5Ghz 9900K vs a 4.5Ghz 3800X, you've given me bar charts of stock CPU's using the slowest CPU in AMD's product stack against one of Intel's fastest.

Last edited:
Soldato
My ancient 6C/12T Xeon X5650 is sat twiddling its virtual thumbs in EVERY modern multi-core game at 1440p UW, with a 1070 @ 100% usage, unless the game runs > 100fps (monitor limit).

Totally GPU locked.

So for me, my CPU is more than enough.

I'll probably upgrade my graphics next year with a 3 series Nvidia card, so it remains to be seen whether I will still be GPU locked with a faster card.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Hmm it used to be quad cores when I last wasted spent time on this type of hypothetical query. I would say it hasnt moved on much since then as most games want fast mhz instead of lower mhz and more cores. I remember BF4 using all 8 cores on my last system well but it was one of them rare unicorn games where it was coded to be mindful of more the merrier.

So my answer for this current year would be 4 blazingly fast cores or 6 moderately fast would plough through most titles. It really needs the games people to tackle splitting the load over the resources from the ground up approach for it to get traction otherwise only the compute/rendering apps utilise this properly.

Caporegime
OP
Would you class 6700k as having fast 4 cores. Don't think I need to touch this CPU for a couple years yet.

I would, a 7700K is a 6700K with slightly higher clocks.

IMO, and this is just my opinion, you're good upto a 1080TI / RTX 2080, but that really is the limit before it starts to strangle GPU performance to the point where you wont benefit from a faster card.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I would say a 3900x is minimum needed for gaming 16 core 3950x is even better:) Now i only say that becouse i have to justify myself buying the 3900x:)

but i do think though more cores will become the normal from a natural upgrade patch like i5 start of with 6 cores intel amd has 6 core 12 thread as there basde of mainstream cpus Now i know i3 and amd g cpus are lower but they really are budget cpu's and souldnt be paired with a 2070s/5700xt upwards now.

but currently ccore c count doesnt paint the whole picture clock speed is just as important currently Otherwise the 3900x would walk away from the 9900k and 3800x which is doesnt really. Future is really hard to tell atm with new consoles coming out with ryzen 2 cpu (proberly with much lowewr clockspeed) and xbox using direct x 12 the consoles really sould help multicore coding and engine optimiations on pc to use more cores and threads so if the ps5 and xbox 2 are both as powerful as they claim it really push the pc platform forward in using our pc parts to there maxuimum. i honestly think older i7 the 4 core 8 thread cpu will be outpased quickly i also think i5 6 core parts will also I think the 8700k and 3600 or maybe even the 2600x will last longer but i also have a sinking feeling they will start to struggle about 1 to 2 years after new consoles come out.

i think today people sould be looking at 3700x 3800x 9900k as there cpu with 3600 and 8700k being minium mainstream cpus and the 3900x is unique in the main stream just due to its core count but currently its behing the intel i9 in raw gaming power (only slightly) but there is still room to grow for the 3900x

Back
Top Bottom