Games that were difficult in your childhood

Soldato
I was remembering back to my childhood of old games that were notoriously difficult at the time and I remembered Zarch which at the time I only got to play at primary school so no chance to properly learn it like you would a game you could play for hours at home but I always remember it being one of the most frustrating games I've ever played

What other vintage games did any of you struggle with or seem to remember as being hard ?

I have wondered for decades if this game was ever released. At my school we had the demo version that was called Lander.

Associate
I'm still trying to beat Tetris (Gameboy) on level 9-5 on a daily basis, I can do it on 9-4 every day but not 9-5.
RoboCop Vs Terminator (mega drive) was tough to beat with a cheat for 40 lives.. can't imagine doing it with the regular amount.
And Street Fighter 2 on Super Nes was hard to beat on regular difficulty. Not impossible, but certainly rage inducing. :)

Associate
Is that the setting where the second number signifies the junk you start with onscreen? Pretty sure I managed 9-9 in my early teens/tweens. You get a very nice shuttle-style rocket as reward :)
Thanks for spoiling that for me..
Just kidding. :D I did know that, however haven't done it personally yet.
9-5 is the top speed and height of geometric nonsense, I reckon i'll win by accident if I keep playing.. ;)

Soldato
I'm the opposite nowadays. I was a much better games player as a kid as I am now I'm in my 30's.

Nowadays my eyes aren't as good not to mention I just don't have the patience anymore so I do not enjoy the challenge of a hard game, I don't mind not being able to fly through on one life but if a game is really tough and requiring many many retries I just completely lose interest which is sad to say actually considering I'm such a retro gaming fan.

Associate
Exile on the BBC - it was surprisingly forward thinking with its mechanics - you couldn't actually die. On the other hand it gave you so little direction that most people probably never saw more than a few percent of the game (myself included until I cheated with a walkthrough)

Associate
I always struggled at a certain point in strikers run on the BBC Master.... I never did finish it.

StrykersRun-Superior.png

Bbcmicro.co.uk

Associate
Yeah I'm not convinced I ever made it more than half way through Stryker's Run. Think I completed the sequel, but that was a very different game.

Associate
Probably ghosts and goblins, but its still hard as nails today.

I was red hot garbage at point and click graphic adventures. I loved them and bought them all but I was awful at them. I would equate to the way I find crosswords today, I just get them like others do.

Didnt stop me loving them though.

Associate
Exile for the BBC micro was pretty hard as a kid, was watching this play-through on youtube and it brought it all back, really amazing what they did with 32k of memory back then.

Yeah it was nuts, I think memory was so tight that save game system saved to an area of display memory, which completely corrupted the on screen image. You then had to restart the computer and load up a special utility to read the save state back out and save it to disk.. Something along those lines anyway.

Soldato
Loads of C64 games were seriously hard. They would otherwise be so short that I guess they had to make them that way.

Yep, I can remember Raid Over Moscow and Beachhead on the C64 at my mates.

We played those games for hours and hours and I can't remember ever finishing either of them.

Back
Top Bottom