Games you love that everyone else hates...

Soldato
Para Para Paradise: 2nd Mix - each song has a dance routine which you need to learn. You need to acquire a taste for Eurobeat and not be embarassed when people see you dancing 'strangely' (Para Para) on the arcade machine.

Not only that, but because Para Para and the routines for many of the songs are quite feminine, you will get laughed at a lot!

When my local Arcade used to have the first machine back around 2002/2003, I had to be really careful when playing on it, seeing as I live in an extremely chavvy area and well, you get the idea.

Soldato
The Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 series. I.e. the first game and the sequels "Faces of War" and "Men of War". All three of these are fantastic little games. I don't think its a hate thing as such though, I think its just hardly anyone seems to know about them, especially Faces of War, which I don't think I've ever met or heard of anyone else playing this apart from me.

Associate
Not only that, but because Para Para and the routines for many of the songs are quite feminine, you will get laughed at a lot!

When my local Arcade used to have the first machine back around 2002/2003, I had to be really careful when playing on it, seeing as I live in an extremely chavvy area and well, you get the idea.

I know what you mean when many songs are 'feminine'.. esp "Deluxe" :o When I do that song, I defo do not do the 'hip swaying'.. :o

For as long as I've played the game, I haven't come across any chavs (or equivalent) in London, maybe they're allergic to the machine :D

Glad to see another person on here who plays PPP. Shame hardly anybody plays it now, only found one 1st Mix in Tokyo (Nov 2008), and the only PPP 2nd machine linked with another PPP 2nd machine that I played on is in Hong Kong (April 2006 and Nov 2008).

Soldato
Glad to see another person on here who plays PPP. Shame hardly anybody plays it now, only found one 1st Mix in Tokyo (Nov 2008), and the only PPP 2nd machine linked with another PPP 2nd machine that I played on is in Hong Kong (April 2006 and Nov 2008).

Were those machines still in amazingly good condition i.e. almost as new? Cause over here they just get battered completely. DDR machines are another good example especially in Japanese arcades, like they still have the card signs on the sides of the screen and everything.

Yeah the only PPP machine I knew of in London was one in LV in Soho, though this was years ago.

Associate
assassins creed, really enjoyed the core mechanics and using my intuition as a gamer did things that made the game fun for me, just because certain mechanics where exploitable doesnt mean they need to be taken advantage of, especially if they are sapping the fun out of the game.

Soldato
Judging by the other threads response..

Street Fighter 4
MGS4
Assassins Creed
Call of Duty 4
Half Life 2
Grand Theft Auto 4

I can imagine that this is crap on consoles, but it serves you right. Sucks to be you - might as well complain that you can't run as fast as you could if you had the best running shoes Nike had to offer.

Associate
Call of Duty 4 is pretty damn good on consoles, seriously, don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Might not be as accurate or competetive as it's PC counter-part, but it works very well with the pad after some practice and is bags of fun, vibration really adds something when you're going gung ho! (all in my oppinion of course). I'm also sure it doesn't suck to be EVH, I'm sure he's had plenty of fun on his console, uber resolution + mouse and keyboard do not a good game make.

Back on topic though, I'm not sure what games I love that everyone hates, hate is a strong word. But judging by it's marmite style dividing of oppinions, I'll say Bioshock. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Call of Duty 4 is pretty damn good on consoles, seriously, don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Might not be as accurate or competetive as it's PC counter-part, but it works very well with the pad after some practice and is bags of fun, vibration really adds something when you're going gung ho! (all in my oppinion of course). I'm also sure it doesn't suck to be EVH, I'm sure he's had plenty of fun on his console, uber resolution + mouse and keyboard do not a good game make.

Back on topic though, I'm not sure what games I love that everyone hates, hate is a strong word. But judging by it's marmite style dividing of oppinions, I'll say Bioshock. I really enjoyed it.

I played CoD4 and CoD2 on consoles, and... well, I'll go no further. Not because my opinions are superior (which they are, but only in the most arrogant sense), but purely because they didn't strike that cod [EDIT: typo, I meant to say cord. However, the error slotted in quite well, so I'll leave it here] in me. I'll freely admit it - PC fanboys do exist, and I'm one of them. We may hide our supercilious judgement behind better graphics, superior controls and player experience - though the last is being skull****ed as we speak - but we do exist, and as such I won't be the one to cast judgement down on console players from the fallacy of a moral high-ground.

Last edited:
Associate
Were those machines still in amazingly good condition i.e. almost as new? Cause over here they just get battered completely. DDR machines are another good example especially in Japanese arcades, like they still have the card signs on the sides of the screen and everything.

Yeah the only PPP machine I knew of in London was one in LV in Soho, though this was years ago.

Forgot about the condition of the PPP in Tokyo TBH :o

Overall I could say the DDR machines, music game machines, etc are in good condition with the decor attachments BUT.. a big BUT.. shame the arcade places smell of cigarette smoke.. the Japanese still haven't done what is done here and banned smoking indoors in public places.

The linked PPP 2nd in HK is in good condition, besides the wear on the base that happens to almost all machines. When I played in 2006 and 2008, no broken sensors, etc. I guess they have to maintain that machine as the people in HK still play PPP.

There is/was another PPP 2nd in Tsim Sha Tsui (HK) but it was in poor condition. When I played at the same place in 2004, it was linked and in good condition.

The one in LV was the one I used to play on too, and I think thats the one currently in Troc.

Its been almost a year since my last holiday and I'm itching to go to HK/Japan again to get my arcading fix but too poor at the mo! :o

Back
Top Bottom