Games you're playing, and games...

Associate
I fired up Destiny 2 earlier for the first time in ages. I then realised I didn't buy this seasons stuff but thought I would just see what I can play without paying. It let me earn the season mod which I was nicely surprised about. I ran the nightfall and earned a really nice palindrome hand cannon. A new season is out at the end of August if its any good I will probably jump back in then.

Associate
I fired up Destiny 2 earlier for the first time in ages. I then realised I didn't buy this seasons stuff but thought I would just see what I can play without paying. It let me earn the season mod which I was nicely surprised about. I ran the nightfall and earned a really nice palindrome hand cannon. A new season is out at the end of August if its any good I will probably jump back in then.

Never played destiny 2 (or 1) is it too late to get involved? as an absolute noob?

Caporegime
I don't mind if they're done well. Games like Until Dawn can be hilarious if you mess it up and which results in perma death for your character. The recent FFVIIR had an amazing dance section with Cloud dressed up as a woman and the QTE's were spot on - felt more like a rhythm game it was so well put together. Depends on the game I guess.
FF9 had a similar dance/fight section - I don't really class those as QTEs tho. As you say, it's more a rhythm game which is its own genre.

I'm thinking of games where you can get grabbed (etc) and you have to mash X or whatever to free yourself. I just think it's extremely boring and lazy. I don't see the fun in mashing any button and normally I just leave the controller alone and accept the insta-death from non-compliance.

The other frequent abuse of this is when you have to open something - be it a door or a box or something - and you have to mash X just to open the thing. What? Why? Why does the game designer want me to mash a button just to open a stupid thing?

It's almost always immersion breaking as you see the silly icon for the button on the screen, mashing X does not normally mirror any input you'd make in the normal course of controlling your character. Neither does it require any skill. Some games take this even further and require such fervent mashing of X that many players have to use an auto-fire function. It's just crap design.

Caporegime
Shadow of the Colossus.

WTF is this control system? :eek:

Edit: Three enemies in and it's my new most hated game on PS already, control system ruins any enjoyment and it's already too repetitive.

Last edited:
Associate
First of the North Star: Lost Paradise.

I was meaning to buy this a while back but waited for a cheap price and now it's on sale at £7.99 and i was more than pleasantly surprised. It's sooo much fun!! If you like the Yakuza games I highly recommend it

Caporegime
Shadow of the Colossus.

Edit: Three enemies in and it's my new most hated game on PS already, control system ruins any enjoyment and it's already too repetitive.

Probably best not to carry on - it will get more frustrating towards the end. I love the game to pieces but the end colossus is a right pain in the arse.

Caporegime
Probably best not to carry on - it will get more frustrating towards the end. I love the game to pieces but the end colossus is a right pain in the arse.
I'll finish it, think I'm up to the 14th Colossus now, but I'm struggling to put more than an hour or two at a time in to it.

It also feels like a game that's missing 90% of the content, massive open world but literally nothing to do other than travel to Colossus locations.

Caporegime
It also feels like a game that's missing 90% of the content, massive open world but literally nothing to do other than travel to Colossus locations.

Yes, they did indeed chop some stuff out. There's a whole topic on the net about the missing colossi and what could have been. Dunno whether it was a time thing or a PS2 limited tech thing.

Man of Honour
Not many people seem to have done much on the Ascent, I keep pinging rare after rare achievement. It has my whole focus now, I’ll finish it then move back to Ori and FS.

Caporegime
Having a break from Gears while waiting for OP8 to drop on Tuesday. Been working my way through Gears Tactics on Game pass. It's crap, repetitive crap. I can see what they tried to do but it misses the mark for me. I'd rather play a 15 year old commando's 2 on PC. Will finish the story and then never touch it again 3/10.

They should have made a Halo Wars type clone.

Associate
I've put a fair bit into A Plague Tale Innocence on playstation plus now. It being the first ps5 title I have played (I know it's not really but it has been inhanced). I've been so impressed by the graphics they look absolutely gorgeous. Really enjoying all aspects of the game. Big thumbs up from me.

Soldato
Shadow of the Colossus.

i almost bought that recently due to the epic looking monsters / bosses / colossus

after that mini review im happy my money is still in my bank lol

Associate
Yakuza 7. Really enjoying it, it's the world of Yakuza I liked without the dog**** brawler combat.

I tried a Yakuza game on gamepass and thought it was a pretty boring button basher. It was the first I had tried, and I did think surely it should be better with the amount they have made.

I still have sleeping dogs on disc. Now that was a really good game.

Caporegime
i almost bought that recently due to the epic looking monsters / bosses / colossus

after that mini review im happy my money is still in my bank lol
Having played it a bit more, it's a problem with the camera more than the controls.

You can be driving along on your horse on the way to a Colossus when, for absolutely no reason, the camera snaps to a right angle and your horse face plants a rock. Same happens when you're climbing or fighting the Colossus, the camera swings all overs the place and it's almost as hard trying to look where you want as fighting the Colossus.

It's part of PS Hits on the PS5 so if you have one or plan to get one in the future, give it a go for yourself. It's incredibly popular and was very highly rated, it's just not a game for me.

Back
Top Bottom