Gaming Computer PC Specs

Associate
I want to buy a new gaming computer/pc for under 150 and be able to play fortnite around 45-60 fps at medium settings.

I found this one:

£149

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz

Ram 8GB DDR3

Graphic Card 2GB Nvidia GT710 VGA & HDMI

What fps would i be able to get with this?
Any suggestions on a way to get better specs for similar price?

I was also able to find to find another one for around £100 which is better than this (it has GTX 460) but i heard its a lot older graphics card and can fail anytime, it also doesnt have any warranty/guarantree..

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Remove the Ebay link or you will get into trouble.

That PC is no good for playing fortnite. Not even at low settings. The GPU is simply not upto the job, neither is the 460. You will be lucky to pick anything up half decent for £150

https://fortnitehelp.epicgames.com/...ite-s-minimum-and-recommended-specifications-

Well.. the gtx 460 on ebay had a picture with it showing medium settings and it had 51 fps, is that not decent????
the only reason i am not buying that is because of the warranty issue

what do you consider as good/decent?

Soldato
Can't remember if it was @Danny75 or @southernorth that has mentioned for extreme budgets picking up refurb dell i7 unit and added GPU and PSU , something could be done £400 mark maybe lower and be cracking at fortnite

Think that is a bit out of the £150 budget ;)

Well.. the gtx 460 on ebay had a picture with it showing medium settings and it had 51 fps, is that not decent????

How do you know that PC was producing that image with 51fps ? Because the seller said so ? My sons got a laptop with a GTX 960M in it which is a more advanced GPU than the GTX 460 and he has to play on medium settings to get it smooth. Anyone selling a PC as a "Fast Gaming PC" etc etc with a GT710 inside is conning you.

Depends what resolution you are using. If you are playing on 1280 x 720 then you will probably get by with a GTX 460 at low settings.
You need to aim for a PC to meet or better the Fortnite recommended requirements. Use these as a guide.

Soldato

Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF 3rd Gen Quad Core i5-3470 8GB 250GB DVDRW Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Desktop PC Computer (Certified Refurbished) £158.95

And add a GTX 750/750Ti 2GB Low Profile. Are they selling GTX 750Ti 2GB for £40 second-hand? Yeah just had a look, £30-40 on several with little to go before bidding over. But I repeat - has to be Low Profile to fit in that particular PC.

That would be fine for Fortnite and £200. Assume its PSU can handle a little card like that. From what I've found on the 'net, it's a 250W PSU with 17.8 Amps on +12v rail, so 210W or so for CPU and GPU, which would be ok for such GPUs.

There might be better options, don't know.

Associate
OP

Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF 3rd Gen Quad Core i5-3470 8GB 250GB DVDRW Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Desktop PC Computer (Certified Refurbished) £158.95

And add a GTX 750/750Ti 2GB Low Profile. Are they selling GTX 750Ti 2GB for £40 second-hand? Yeah just had a look, £30-40 on several with little to go before bidding over. But I repeat - has to be Low Profile to fit in that particular PC.

That would be fine for Fortnite and £200. Assume its PSU can handle a little card like that. From what I've found on the 'net, it's a 250W PSU with 17.8 Amps on +12v rail, so 210W or so for CPU and GPU, which would be ok for such GPUs.

What do you mean by low profile??

Soldato
It should state it in the name or description, or say "LP". Basically with a shorter PCIe bracket than the normal one. Some come with the LP bracket already attached, and some come with it separately and you have to attach it first. This is an example (different card):

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £73.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

And this is one of the Low Profile/LP 750Tis:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gtx-750-ti-lp-2gb

And here's an unboxing of another model:

Associate
OP
It should state it in the name or description, or say "LP". Basically with a shorter PCIe bracket than the normal one. Some come with the LP bracket already attached, and some come with it separately and you have to attach it first. This is an example (different card):

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £73.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

And this is one of the Low Profile/LP 750Tis:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gtx-750-ti-lp-2gb

And here's an unboxing of another model:

How would i put this in the pc? never done pc building before but i am good with electronics lol

Soldato
Cheers @Danny75

OP, can pick up 450w evga Bronze unit on here for £38 as well if it's a non slim line version .

Googling refurb dell units kicks up i7s for under £200 and dell has a refurb section as well

Dell OptiPlex 9010 ***

Seen a few forum goers do this for budget gaming systems for half the costs, think someone slapped in a gtx 1060 and PSU into i7 unit for £400 all in I think, landed 16GB of ram too haha

Soldato
Here are the Fortnite settings I use with a GTX 1050 1GB while I wait for new cards to arrive.

G5s15Yy.png

It's really quite playable (55-85 fps, mostly 65-75).

With a GTX 750Ti 2GB you'd be able to tweak a couple things higher.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers @Danny75

OP, can pick up 450w evga Bronze unit on here for £38 as well if it's a non slim line version .

Googling refurb dell units kicks up i7s for under £200 and dell has a refurb section as well

Dell OptiPlex 9010 ***

Looks like a slim.

Those 9010 should be worth a look then. Definitely see if you can find something better.

Soldato

what do you consider as good/decent?

I've got the equivalent Lenovo with 750ti and 250w PSU and it plays most games low/medium settings. Not quite the medium settings OP was hoping for but perfectly playable.
My other son has a 1050ti in his Laptop and he can have everything on high with view on epic and its smooth although he has a 7th gen Intel.

Permabanned
Here are the Fortnite settings I use with a GTX 1050 1GB while I wait for new cards to arrive.

G5s15Yy.png

It's really quite playable (55-85 fps, mostly 65-75).

With a GTX 1050Ti 2GB you'd be able to tweak a couple things higher.

What would happen if View Distance goes to 'far', textures go to 'medium', post processing goes to 'low', effects go to 'low' and shadows go to 'medium'?

Soldato
What would happen if View Distance goes to 'far', textures go to 'medium', post processing goes to 'low', effects go to 'low' and shadows go to 'medium'?

The shadows cause a hit on fps, and textures on medium is a bit too much for the limited 1GB memory at that resolution. The view distance you want on epic to see players from further away, and the effects and post processing I switched them up to medium from low just because it had little impact.

Back
Top Bottom