Gaming Monitor 4k HDR for both PC & Console

Associate
OK so here is my current graphics card and console that I have, I use both PC and console regularly depending on friends playing with and sit at the same screen / setup for both

1080ti Zotac amp extreme
PS4 Pro

What I'm after is a 4k monitor that I can get the best out of for both PC and Console and play at 4k preferably with HDR at a decent level and last me a fair few years!

So far the monitors that have my interest are either not out yet or bank breaking cost wise

Acer Nitro XV273K (cons HDR 400)
ASUS CG32 (cons 60hz)
Predator XB273K or ROG Swift PG27UQ (too damn expensive)

is anyone using a similar setup and what are you using or would love to use monitor wise?

Soldato
Unfortunately there isn't really very much on the 4K HDR front at present. Looks like we'll be waiting until next year now for anything faster than 60Hz, but nothing is going to come cheap with the HDR label on it.

Still amazes me that there has only been one 4K G-Sync monitor bigger than 27" released EVER (the Acer XB321HK), and like you've found with the ones you've mentioned, that too is limited to 60Hz. Monitor tech really does move at a snail's pace unfortunately.

Soldato
I just find it ridiculous that they're putting out £2K+ 27" monitors and wasting time with stupid crap like this... the latter is NOT what we want and no one is asking for it!! Even the 65" BFG monitors (which are delayed anyway) are totally useless for the vast majority of PC users who are looking for an actual monitor. I've no idea what the mindset or thought process is behind this nonsense, I really don't. :rolleyes:

Associate
I too am in a similar position.

I'm currently using a PS4 Pro and my PC (Ryzen 1700, MSI GTX970) and due to the space limitations I'm limited to either a 27" or 32" monitor.

Not only do I need to upgrade my graphics card to run 4K (another conundrum, what with G-Sync and Freesync etc), but I need a 4K HDR capable monitor in the above sizes.

I've picked out the ones below so far:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-04c-ao.html

Not HDR, so not sure if it'll be much use with the PS4 Pro.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-12r-bq.html

This seems to get mixed reviews, apparently the HDR is a bit ropey.

And finally this one seems to be the best I've found so far:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-14t-lg.html

Some reviwes on the rainforest report issues with IPS glow and bleed etc, but others say it's OK, so I guess it depends what you can live with.

Also the 2 monitors above are free-sync, so you'd probably be best off buying an AMD card.

That's the way I'm leaning at the moment, however I'm not convinced that a Vega64 could run 4K at a decent rate on future games, and this purchase is going to last me!

On the flip side, if I go with the new 20XX cards, I'd probably be best off with a G-sync monitor, and they're rarer than hens teeth.

Sorry for the long reply, you're the first person that seems to be in a similar situation to myself, I'd be interested to see what you go for.

Half tempted to wait until next year and see what appears from AMD and the monitor manufacturers. :confused:

Soldato
Well bottom line, if you want G-Sync and high refresh 4K... tough. Unless you want to pay £2,200 (and I'm sure you don't), you'll have to wait until next year when we will see some faster 4K HDR panels arrive. The recently announced XB273K could be on your list of ones to watch, but it does come with a €1499 pricetag... and I think that will be the norm unfortunately. We're not going to be seeing any IPS or VA panel 4K HDR high refresh G-Sync monitors under £1K anytime in the near future sadly.

Associate
OP
It seems compromise is going to be needed somewhere if I want something soonanyway... I'm suprised samsung dont have something available with 4k hdr yet too, I have a month or so until I will be finishing my new pc build so may wait till then to see whats coming or in the market then.

I'm have been looking at the freesync vs G-sync argument and think the best thing we can do in the situation of mixed Nvidia / AMD world is go with freesync over g-sync for the following reasons,

* The console is likely to have lower FPS so should benefit more from the adative sync tech.
* G-sync is just extortionally priced if you want HDR due to the cost of the Nvidia modules.

However I still have the following argument back with myself that if you spend so much on a PC and 4k capable graphics card you should invest in a monitor that will get the best out of that... I just wish Nvidia would support the adaptive sync vesa standard!

Associate
I think I'm going to wait and see what AMD bring out next, as you say, the cost of G-sync is massive compared to freesync.

I can make do with 1080p for now, I've managed with it this long!

Associate
That's madness really, it's almost the price of the monitor itself.

Think I'm going to wait and see what comes out next year, I can live with what I have for now.

Unless that EuroMillions ticket comes in tonight of course!

Back
Top Bottom