Gaming mouse - worth it?

Man of Honour
I've used:

Generic 3-button carp
Logitech Pilot
Logitech Mouseman Wheel (3 of these.... great mice for the time)
MS Intellimouse Explorer (took it back for a refund after a few days)
Logitech Mouseman Optical
Logitech Dual Optical
Logitech MX500
Logitech MX510
Logitech MX518 (current mouse)

These mice have all been progressive improvements, except for the MS Explorer, which was stupidly big considering how light it was... very chunky and it didn't respond well to very rapid movements (this was the early days of optical mice). The Mouseman Wheel was a fantastic mouse which I replaced a couple of times when it got worn out (the wheel wasn't very reliable after a while and the rollers got too hard to clean), the weight and way it feels your hand was just perfect - an excellent mouse for smooth shafting.

I suppose I ought to try and get a copperhead/G7 soon, but I'm not playing competitively at the moment so I live with the MX518 for now.

As far as pads go I used to like the 3m Precision Mousing Surface, but they get curled up and worn out too quickly, lasting only a few months. Compare that to my allsop raindrop pad which has lasted 4+ years. I've tried other pads down the years like everglide and even a teflon baking mat, but in general I find them a little too smooth. I need a bit of friction in my mousing to get a solid feel, I can then use a fairly loose grip on the mouse without having to worry about it sliding about.

Soldato
Whatever you do don't get the latest incarnation of the MS intellimouse explorer. They have done away with the notch effect on the mouse wheel, so its nigh on impossible to use the wheel and get one controlled "scroll" as it were. Makes it impossible to accurately change weaponds in cod for example.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
If you are still in any doubt then buy the MX510 and Mat fron Oc at the ridiculously low price they are now selling them at.
I used this mouse for over a year and am a serious hardcore gamer. I have massive amounts of hours logged on various games and all clocked up on my old MX510.
The mouse is perfect in every way. The shape for me is just right, the buttons are invaluable once you have used a mouse with them. Perfect precision with sure movement that you can gain confidence with.
As far as more expensive quicker responce timed mouses go i have never needed quicker than the 510. In reality i backed my 510 off so why would i need more speed.
The only reason i switched was because a 2nd hand MX1000 came up in M&M (Ty M8) and the chordless option makes it easier when i set my Momo up for racing.
I still have my 510 and will Never sell it. Its worth more to me than what peeps sell them for Far more.

In my opinion a gaming mouse is Vital. Its what connects you to your system.
Brain-arm-hand-mouse-system-broadband-world- Killing :D

Associate
Hello
I enjoy using my Razer Diamondback more than my G7.
I'm sure I can detect the teeny tiniest delay in the G7 compared to the Razer.
It took me a long time to get used to how small, lightweight and ultra-sensitive the Razer is, but was well worth the perserverence.
The batteries in the G7 do not last anwhere near long enough and due to the fact that the charger is USB based and so needs the PC to be on (unlike mices such as the MX700) some day I'm going to end up with 2 flat batteries and no live mouse. I keep wanting to eat chocolate when using the G7 - the batteries remind of After 8 mints, but that smooth lithium centre is soooooo bitter!
Cheers
snedger

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the replies guys, I'm now convinced :D. I really like the look of the copperhead but it's just a bit too pricey for me. Think I'll go with the mx510/mousemat combo as planned.

Thanks again,

B1aze

Associate
Razor copperhead all the way simply a awesome mouse, brought a brand mx518 for spare the other day and thought i'd try it... put it back in the box straight away felt cheap and slow compared to the copperhead didn't like it at first but couldn't do without it now.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Logitech Mouseman Optical, had it for god knows how many years (must be 4 or 5) and hasn't let me down yet :)

Soldato
old tech but then again i dont game that much nowadays and so i ordered the 510 with the bundled steel pad...

moving around in windows is super smooth and i can imagine if tried playing cs again iwould become godlike as usual :)

Associate
I used to be using a cheapo no-name mouse, changed a month or two ago to a mx518 and its so much better. Unbelievably smooth and extra buttons are perfect for gaming.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I like the look of the new ms laser one, I prefer smaller less shapely mice than the mega contoured type ones.

Just looked on ocuk and mine is the blue version of the cheapo logitech ones they sell for about 8 quid :)

Associate
I was a tad skeptical a couple of years ago with the whole "gaming mouse" thing. But when I started playing CSS competitively more and more, and LANing more and more, I tried going for a Razer mouse.

I would NEVER go back. Im curious how a logitech would feel... but maybe later :)
[

Associate
OP
Well just thought I'd update my thread. I've been using my MX510+S&S steelpad for a few weeks now and have noticed a significant improvement. The extra dpi is very noticable in games and you don't get any random mouse screw up moments, which is nice. I don't think it made me a better gamer (I'll join the CSS server sometime and let you judge ;))but it just makes gaming more pleasant.
Basically if you're not an uber hardcore gamer but you want a decent mouse, go for it!

Associate
Yep, agree ^^.

Also got an MX series mouse, am very impressed. The inital thought of a Non cordless mouse for £50 was not a nice one. However, i bit the bullet and im happy i did !

' Basically if you're not an uber hardcore gamer but you want a decent mouse, go for it! ' - Excellent, couldnt agree more !

-Vinny-

Back
Top Bottom