• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gaming on Epyc Rome CPUs?

Soldato
I’m going to take a guess and it would be good but the cost would be eye watering. It’s £2000 for a barebones single socket Rome system and another £1500 for a 7402P

Man of Honour
I’m going to take a guess and it would be good but the cost would be eye watering. It’s £2000 for a barebones single socket Rome system and another £1500 for a 7402P

I might even try next week. Could install steam on a rome server and have a look :) most pointless test ever! :D

Man of Honour
You see how many instances of a game you could run :D

I wonder if the dl385 will take a vega or something? you know what just to satisfy this thread, if my rome comes on Tuesday which it should by all accounts then ill open it up and see if I can get a gpu in there. If I can ill try and find some storage and install windows 10 on it or something and see if it can game.

also @Quartz they are like rocking horse ****, not readily available to consumers until apparently the 28th of this month. Even then we are likely to have 4 month lead times is what I hear. I did somehow manage to buy 3 servers which should have been here friday but got caught in customs. I have no idea what is going on at this point. They should turn up Tuesday i'm told, they better turn up soon as they cost too much money for me not to play before I go to the vegas and a little trip around the west coast the week after next.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if the dl385 will take a vega or something? you know what just to satisfy this thread, if my rome comes on Tuesday which it should by all accounts then ill open it up and see if I can get a gpu in there. If I can ill try and find some storage and install windows 10 on it or something and see if it can game.

We need a EPYC DL580 with the PCIE expansion board. That would take maybe 8 graphics cards. Bring a whole new meaning to console gaming.

Man of Honour
We need a EPYC DL580 with the PCIE expansion board. That would take maybe 8 graphics cards. Bring a whole new meaning to console gaming.

tbh i think gaming is very much wasted on epyc. It's so good at everything else it will probably suck at gaming :)

Man of Honour
Boo!!! Another day goes by!

Hi xxxx,

Further to our conversation’s today and Friday, the server ordered on PO XXXXX/TS for the pre release EPYC server, is currently in constraint in customs at Charles de Galle airport. We were expecting release of the shipment on Saturday morning but there have been further delays. We now expect the whole shipment to be released any time now and we will ensure that the product arrives onsite Friday at the latest (possibly earlier). If you give me a call first thing tomorrow I will provide you with an update.

Thanks
Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Inside Partner Business Manager
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise
UK

Man of Honour
Mmmm 32 cores. Have no idea what I'd do with that mind - even for my usage having 2x i7 4/8 systems is enough to offload anything I do hah.

Man of Honour
You can do 8 times as much :D

There was a time I'd have loved having so many cores, I'd have snapped someone's arm off for a 32 core + SMT CPU even a few years back. but these days I don't really dabble with server like tasks from home, no longer running tons of VMs, my game compile tools and video encoding I'm happy enough to offload to a second machine and forget about until done.

Man of Honour
There was a time I'd have loved having so many cores, I'd have snapped someone's arm off for a 32 core + SMT CPU even a few years back. but these days I don't really dabble with server like tasks from home, no longer running tons of VMs, my game compile tools and video encoding I'm happy enough to offload to a second machine and forget about until done.

It's only half the story, I have 6 sockets and only 3 populated...

Overkill :D

Back
Top Bottom