Gaming PC £1000, my son come up with this spec, need advice

Associate
Hi All,

Hope everyone well in these Covid times.

Community always helpful with my PC builds, so was hoping you could do the same for my son 12 years old.

My son put together this spec (from another site) for playing Fornite, Rocket League, Minecraft and school work:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard DriveMSI GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB D6 GAMING X Video Card
Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (possibly can drop if can squeeze out better parts)

Which came up to about roughly £900 leaving some cash to get his keyboard and mouse.

If anyone could help with a spec, comments or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
will be buying all parts from OC.

Thanks All

Soldato
16gb of ram would be fine as would a cheaper motherboard like a B450/550 then you could use the saving on a better GPU assuming you can find one in the current climate, also you could swap the Samsung 860 to a WD blue SN550 nvme which is faster while being a bit cheaper as would installing Windows yourself and picking up a cheap key which should save another £100

Last edited:
Soldato
Overpriced motherboard, too much RAM, below average cooler and SSD is overpriced and SATA based. Windows can be bought for £10-30 legitimately. Graphics card is meh.

Soldato
How much of a hurry are you in to build ? The RTX 3060 is due to release towards the end of Feb, so you might get lucky with one. Not sure on price, but the cheapest 3060 ti is £449.99 on here, so the 3060 should be sub £400 maybe even closer to £350 - £375.

I would use the stock cooler to start with unless you have any money left over.

The MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi is a decent board. It is mATX but will be fine in an ATX case. Does he need WiFi ?

Cheaper Ram, although non RGB. A 16GB kit will be fine to start with. You can add another 16GB later on.

The WD Blue SN550 1TB is better as it is NVMe vs the Samsung which is plain SATA. Not a huge deal right now, but it should be once Direct Storage becomes more common.

Cheaper Kolink case and it has 4 x ARGB fans included. It also has an RGB controller to handle the different colour schemes.

I haven't included Windows as you can get a cheap key if you look around. Same goes for the gpu. Assuming the RTX 3060 is what I said above then it might just fit the budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £610.00 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
Also I would suggest shopping around for the best prices, as OCUK are not always the cheapest :( If you can save £10+ on each component then that will go a long way to help.

Back
Top Bottom