Gaming pc (future proof) gpu in hand

Soldato
Nice!!!

Enjoy - it's a mighty spec.

Make a note of gaming temps and we'll fine tune if it needs it tomorrow (memory).

(I'll tune in later - hour or so - on and off...)

Soldato
OP
@Plec @orbitalwalsh I have a chromax cooler coming today (it bugged me more than i thought it would!) Bit of an expensive lesson learnt.
Am I best just switching the fans, or am I better taking the cooler out and cleaning the thermal paste off and re setting it correctly (as its in the back of my mind)
If so, what's the best method to remove the paste (I dont have any 99% rubbing alcohol.
Hope you're all well this morning, @ plec hope your youngster is feeling a bit better :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
@Plec @orbitalwalsh I have a chromax cooler coming today (it bugged me more than i thought it would!) Bit of an expensive lesson learnt.
Am I best just switching the fans, or am I better taking the cooler out and cleaning the thermal paste off and re setting it correctly (as its in the back of my mind)
If so, what's the best method to remove the paste (I dont have any 99% rubbing alcohol.

Do you mean this?:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

If so, you don't mess around.

You could return the other cooler as unwanted - you would probably take a hit with a restocking fee, as from OcUK, but may still work out cheaper than using the MM (worth enquiring).

As for cleaning off old TIM - if you're going to do it properly, and you may as well as it won't be coming off for a long time, you need to pick up some isopropanol alcohol 99% (IPA or rubbing alcohol)) or surgical wipes/IPA wipes which are soaked in the same stuff (look at ingredients of package - you don't want cleansers or water in there). You could try a chemist or DIY store - i recently bought a 500ml bottle for ~£10 from the rainforest. You then scrape of the excess with paper towel and polish up with the IPA - it cuts through the remaining TIM and evaporates immediately.

*You could just use dry paper towel and then clean off the rest with a 'slightly' damp paper towel and then polish dry with fresh paper towel (as it's fresh TIM). But it's going to be a biggish job so I would err to doing it properly - and you would need to be absolutely sure it was dry (and i mean slightly damp - so no leaking of water when pressed).

Did you game last night - how were the temps?

Hope you're all well this morning, @ plec hope your youngster is feeling a bit better :cool:
Up most of the night with youngest (knackered) - but received a text early this morning and at least it's not Covid.

Soldato
OP
Afternoon, @Plec. Firstly, thats brilliant news :D glad to hear that, secondly I hope the bug soon clears up and he/she is soon bouncing back!

Thirdly, I did game last night, for a quick good hour, temps seemed okay as far as I would know?

Pic attached

Fourthly, is this clean enough :D

Soldato
Afternoon, @Plec. Firstly, thats brilliant news :D glad to hear that, secondly I hope the bug soon clears up and he/she is soon bouncing back!
Thanks - was a bit of a relief.

Thirdly, I did game last night, for a quick good hour, temps seemed okay as far as I would know?

Pic attached
Temps are good. As you can see the synthetic test temps bear little resemblance to real life usage.

Fourthly, is this clean enough :D

That does look clean - go for it (no finger prints).

Soldato
Temps are good.

Different game - or just a different snapshot within the game to previously?

Cinebench is what i hoped it would originally read - mainly under 80 degrees. But, as mentioned these INTEL CPUs do run hot.

But, well done - you are well versed in breaking down your system now. Nice job.

Soldato
Ps, speakers work fine with a 3.5mm line out :)
Great. The front case 3.5mm will automatically override the speakers when you plug your headphones in and revert back to speakers when you take them back out.

*You still need to set the memory XMP in the BIOS and then test stability - i.e. gaming/general use (can be set in Easy Mode).

Back
Top Bottom