Gaming/youtube Headset usb or 3.5mm?

Associate
so i have a aorus ga-z270x-gaming 7 intel z270 motherboard and no soundcard, i've heard that the onboard sound card crackles a fair bit, for gaming and youtube videos would it be best to go for a usb or 3.5mm headset and why/whats the difference?

any usb headset recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
i've heard that the onboard sound card crackles a fair bit
Heard from cheap bottom of the line motherboard?
That Gigabyte motherboard has lot better than usual "marketing checklist/bulletpoint engineering" integrated sound card features, including good binaural simulation for headphones.

And you didn't mention budget.
Lot's of spread in there.
Not that most headsets (especially gaming ones) are even remotely worth their price tag.
Reason why there are so many gaming brands is huge profit margins:
Just take cheap China junk, add bling bling colours/look and some BS name and you can add extra zero before decimal point of price sticker.
Hence lot higher quality headphones from actual audio makers+separate microphone can be gotten for less than more expensive gaming junks.
(QPAD has exception there)

Besides doubt any gaming headset USB dongles have even cheap ass sound card level components.
Sennheisers £230 GSXes have lower quality parts than average integrated Realtek and £30 sound cards.
That's how gaming products are made.

Associate
OP
Heard from cheap bottom of the line motherboard?
That Gigabyte motherboard has lot better than usual "marketing checklist/bulletpoint engineering" integrated sound card features, including good binaural simulation for headphones.
i saw that on most reviews that if i have a cpu water cooler running which i have (H100iv2) it distorts the sound and makes it crackle
yeah i noticed that most headsets are rather expensive, unfortunately i am not close enough to my desktop to have a desk mic, and due to using a 43" screen sitting close is not really an option

Soldato
i saw that on most reviews that if i have a cpu water cooler running which i have (H100iv2) it distorts the sound and makes it crackle
Corsair must have missed EMC compliance if it causes also that kind interference besides direct noise from pump.
Beyond that only other explanation would be CPU's VRM running hot and causing some throttling.
With all these gaming plastic sh*ts covering motherboards VRM cooling sure isn't too good in many of them.

But definitely try integrated sound card first if you have any headphones/speakers, because that trying doesn't cost any.

There's no need for any desk mic unless wanting some studio quality mic.
ModMic is commercialized product for turning any headphones into headset:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antlion-audio-modmic-v4-sp-041-al.html
And Beyerdynamics are easy to DIY mod with separate mic from say cheap headset.
If you want to know how much special product extra microphone adds to base product price compare prices of Beyerdynamic DT770 and MMX300. (or QPAD QH1339)
Makes ModMic cheap looking when audio makers charge almost double from microphone...

Back
Top Bottom