Gantry Speed Cameras

Associate
Hi All,

New to the forum so apologise if I am repeating myself.

Just had a gantry camera on the m25 flash me as I went through. No variable speed limit on the gantry, but the camera flashed none the less. I wasnt doing 70mph, but I wasnt doing less.....

Is this a thing? Are they issuing fines now like a normal roadside camera at all times?

TIA

Soldato
They do work without the limit on the gantry, but I've personally never seen a ticket from a camera on the m25 for less than 90MPH without a VSL being displayed. There used to be a gantry in the south section that would flash if you were doing 85-90 but didn't seem to issue tickets: I know, as it flashed me once and I never got anything.

Associate
OP
I've driven through hundreds of times and it's not flashed before, then just after midnight lastnight I went through and it flashed twice.

Camera was between M4 + M40

Man of Honour
I've been flashed before and nothing has happened. Equally people have been flashed near me and I always think it is my car that has been flashed. No idea what they are set at, I've flown through at mid 80s and been fine.

Soldato
Not on the M25, on the M5 I think, I saw my mate get flashed (he overtook me) at over 90 and he didn't get a ticket. He didn't even notice it he was going so quick.

Sometimes they just flash.

Soldato
Was it overhead on the gantry or one of the ones to the left hand side of the gantry that has the smaller set of cameras about 50 yards before it? Those ones are active all the time, as far as I know the overhead ones are only active when the signs are lit up.

Soldato
Speaking of the M25, has anybody ever seen a mobile camera van parked up on the M25? I saw what was presumably a van belonging to the police (not sure if it was a mobile camera van or not) parked up in one of the elevated spots you usually see the patrol cars/HWA parked on.

Wouldn't make much sense to me given that stretch has a fair few fixed cameras, it was a Saturday night, the van wasn't very visible (no clear markings) and from what I could see, there were not any of the typical camera holes that you see on the mobile camera vans, on this particular van.

Just curious to know if anybody has seen such a thing before on the M25...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You should be ok, if nothing recieved within a week then relax a bit :)

New to the forum so apologise if I am repeating myself.
I dont understand this :p

On the subject of motorway speeding, got pulled going to work on friday. Apparently I over took an undercover who said he was doing 85 and I flew by... but that's not when they pulled me... I saw 4 marked cars in the first and second lanes so I slowed.... to 85 :D next thing I know is they pull in front of me and alongside me and behind me.... boxed me into the 3rd lane proper! No signs or sirens, nothing, just surrounded me and slowed. Then another copper cuts in front of me and the other police, and his rear sign blinks but doesn't say anything... then the cars on my left drifted back so I moved left and everyone followed, so I moved left again and they all did too, then the copper in front of me slows and indicates to take the turn off - but still no sign or sirens, so I let him take the turn off and I carried on hahaha 2 coppers went off, the rest stayed behind me haha :D then a minute later those two bombed back in front of me (they exited then rejoined the motorway) and this time the sign was on, sorens were on "follow me". They took me to the next services, asked me if I knew the speed limit, I said yes I was just late for a meeting :p they told me that I went passed them at over 120 and asked for my license. Then they gave it back and told me to get on my way! Hahahaha :D good police :) :) well, not that good as I think my tax ran out at the end of last month and haven't renewed yet.

Soldato
You should be ok, if nothing recieved within a week then relax a bit :)

I dont understand this :p

On the subject of motorway speeding, got pulled going to work on friday. Apparently I over took an undercover who said he was doing 85 and I flew by... but that's not when they pulled me... I saw 4 marked cars in the first and second lanes so I slowed.... to 85 :D next thing I know is they pull in front of me and alongside me and behind me.... boxed me into the 3rd lane proper! No signs or sirens, nothing, just surrounded me and slowed. Then another copper cuts in front of me and the other police, and his rear sign blinks but doesn't say anything... then the cars on my left drifted back so I moved left and everyone followed, so I moved left again and they all did too, then the copper in front of me slows and indicates to take the turn off - but still no sign or sirens, so I let him take the turn off and I carried on hahaha 2 coppers went off, the rest stayed behind me haha :D then a minute later those two bombed back in front of me (they exited then rejoined the motorway) and this time the sign was on, sorens were on "follow me". They took me to the next services, asked me if I knew the speed limit, I said yes I was just late for a meeting :p they told me that I went passed them at over 120 and asked for my license. Then they gave it back and told me to get on my way! Hahahaha :D good police :) :) well, not that good as I think my tax ran out at the end of last month and haven't renewed yet.

It sounds like you were very lucky that Friday!

Man of Honour

If they acted like that then there was probably a reason, something more serious they were keeping a low profile for but couldn't just turn a blind eye to someone doing that much over the limit, by messing them around like that you risked them showing their hand and spoiling their police work on a more serious crime, good job!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
It sounds like you were very lucky that Friday!
Very! He said, you can't try to overtake police at 85 without being pulled, I told him a long time back I was pulled on the M6 and the policeman told me to just stick to 85 on the motorway and you'll be fine - he laughed and said if you overtake us at 72 you'll get looked at funny, but 85 is too high or something (can't remember word for word). I think that helped my case and the fact I blagged a meeting :p

If they acted like that then there was probably a reason, something more serious they were keeping a low profile for but couldn't just turn a blind eye to someone doing that much over the limit, by messing them around like that you risked them showing their hand and spoiling their police work on a more serious crime, good job!
Hahaha wow! Assumptions much :D

Back
Top Bottom