Garage door paint spraying - anyone had it done?

Associate
Hi all

Has anybody on here had their garage door sprayed? How did it go, how much did you pay, and has it lasted?

I've seen a few firms that spray UPVC and also garage doors but I'm trying to work out if it's a good idea or a recipe for disaster (overspray? Peeling? chipping? bad quality finish?)

Our current garage door is a single panel up and over type in reasonably good condition. It fits well, opens and shuts smoothly, no dents or scratches and it's never been painted before from new. I'm therefore reluctant to replace it but would quite like it anthracite grey to match house windows. Spraying seems like it would be a good option if it doesn't have any of the aforementioned issues.

Soldato
What's yours made of? My folks are looking to have this done for their garage to match the front door colour.

I think the door is made of fibreglass, and then the front face has a smoother finish when it was first painted. I'm not sure how well new paint would stick to the door.

Associate
OP
What's yours made of? My folks are looking to have this done for their garage to match the front door colour.

I think the door is made of fibreglass, and then the front face has a smoother finish when it was first painted. I'm not sure how well new paint would stick to the door.

That sounds very similar to ours. It looks like rough fibreglass on the inside but it's as if it has a metal skin on the outside. It may just be very smooth fibreglass.

The painter said he uses a paint with a primer contained within it to help it adhere. I don't know if he'll sand it first too to help.

Back
Top Bottom