Garage Ideas/Questions

Associate
Chaps,

I've recently moved into a new build and am starting to think about tidying up the garage in the spring.

I'd like to sort the floor, paint the walls and get some decent lighting in for a start. Storage can come a bit later.

My questions:

Floor - has anyone laid ceramic or porcelain tiles in their garage? This won't be used as a workshop and I hear tiles help get rid of the dust and generally look quite smart. Cost could be an issue as its around 25m2 (7.4m long, 3.4 wide).

I know the plastic click together tiles are popular but they look pretty shabby after a while?

Walls - is it best to use an exterior paint like Dulux weathersheild?

Lighting - I've been looking at LED panels. You can get 48w 600mm square panels at £35 each. Any negatives? They would fit quite nicely between the roof supports and I could have one in each corner.

Pics:

ZrtbQqD.jpg

AHWaGWi.jpg

a2aTF9K.jpg

Any ideas welcome.

Cheers.

Associate
For the inside walls i used Leyland Trade white Emulsion from screwfix when it was on a really cheep offer 1 or 2 coats did the job but most cheep emultion would do.
As for floor tiles have seen it done and dose look good but dont have a clue on it.
For the lights could change the bulb to a led one in the Fluorescent lamp fitting relocate it then buy one or two more to place around depending on where you want the light the most.May get a better distribution of light across the area.

If it were me I'd paint the garage floor in a contrasting colour like yellow, light grey or green or something. Nothing worse than dropping a bolt or something on a dark floor and struggling to find it. :D

Also for phase 2, a little workbench at the back of the garage with storage/toolboxes underneath would be a good shout with some more wall mounted storage above mounted on the wall.

Personally I like the walls as they are, would be a lot of effort to paint them and they look perfectly serviceable as they are.

Lighting wise I think your LED panels are a good idea but I'd have 4 of them, and then a light over the workbench. Repurpose that strip light you've got for example.

That's enough vicarious living for this morning lol.

Soldato
I've a couple of tips for you, some of which I've done and others I'll be doing when I have time :).

1. Don't bother painting the floor, it'll never stay on unless you get it professionally done and even then I've seen it peel with car tyres eventually. I'd recommend Ecotiles , that's what I have fitted. It can be costly but is clean, easy to fit and will last the life of your garage.

2. Replace the up and over garage door to a roller type. Much more convenient, won't block out any lights fitted to the ceiling when it's up, and best of all will give you a few more extra cm's on the entrance of the garage as you can fit the frame inside the garage door opening rather than in it.

3. Glue some carpet or rugs to the wall where your car door opens to save scratching or having to hold the car door when you get out.

4. Wire the lighting with intermediate switches, one at the front and one at the back of the garage. This is so you don't have to squeeze past your car to turn the lights on if the switch is at the front and you access it from the back door! I think you may already have this judging from your pictures.

5. Fix some low profile tyres stops to the floor so you know when to stop parking your car.

6. Plaster boarding the ceiling will also be good. Looks smart, improves the lighting, reduces dust further and stops bug poo and dead carcases from dropping on your car.

7. If your going to use the garage loft space fit a set of loft ladders and board the floor. Fit further lighting up there too, the extra space is incredibly useful.

8. Painting the walls is a good idea as again it will brighten it up and reduce the dust. I've not done this as I think the walls will absorb so much paint and take ages. Not sure if it should be brushed on liberally or roller'ed on.

Associate
buy a 2nd hand 240v plug in paint sprayer to do the garage walls. i picked one up for about 50quid. although i've not started painting my garage walls yet from reading other forums it makes painting walls like that very quick and easy.

as for the floor, you need to put a couple of coats of concrete sealer down. this will stop the dust and give you a good base should you decide to paint.

Associate
The Leyland Trade Heavy Duty floor paint is good - I've painted our garage/workshop which is 47m^2 in 10L of the Frigate Grey. Turned out ok, no dust now, going to coat it again with 5L in summer next year.

e- I have no doubt the Leyland Trade white paint for the walls will be good aswell, as acake suggested.

Last edited:
Soldato
durability of the tile depends upon the quality of the ones you select.

The more expensive better quality ones shouldn't look tatty at all and should last a lifetime.

Loads more info in this PH thread

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1283735&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Garage flooring&mid=0

I can see that being an expensive click to have made.

I would like to tile / paint the floor in my new mancave (just need to move house first but that's a minor detail!). Overall dimensions are 7.25m x 5.7m, so around 41m2 but I expect that includes the tool store at the back which has a separate door so I can exclude that bit.

Associate
OP
I thought I should update this thread as things have progressed a bit.

It's not 100% but the paint has helped with dust and light. I used a mix of masonry brush and roller along with a long reach pole for the floor.

I'd read conflicting advice on what to do with the floor. In the end I followed the paint guidlines and thinned it a little with white spirit for the first coat. I probably need to go over it again so will buy another smaller can.

Done:

Painted Floor - (http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-heavy-duty-floor-paint-frigate-grey-5ltr/88106)
Painted Walls (20Ltrs) - http://www.screwfix.com/p/sandtex-ultra-smooth-masonry-paint-pure-brilliant-white-10ltr/23771
Added hooks for hanging kit - http://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-light-duty-storage-hooks-zinc-plated-blue-tips-6-pcs/4247j
Additional Shelving - http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/keter-5-tier-heavy-duty-shelving-783942
Loft ladder so I can start some boarding/storage - http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-2-section-sliding-loft-ladder-269m/663951_BQ.prd

Pics:

5NCb6ny.jpg

2sCpaeA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom