Gardening - how to dress/cover brickwork

Associate
Redbricked utility station in section of the garden. 10-12 ft tall. The developers planted an array of bushes, trees bamboo in front . There was no real thought or look they were aiming for. Just planted w/e.

While it's better than looking at the brick the plants weren't particularly good looking, low maintenance or space efficient. Theyve eaten a chunk of space over the years. Landscaper quoted me 3k just to trim everything back. Sod that. Money's better spent adding stuff.

Been trimming them back over the last week. Now debating taking roots n all and either planting something more suitable to hide it. Or option 2 is dressing it up in some way. painting it, panelling it or something to make it easier in the eye.

I need some ideas or suggestions please. Either dressing it or what tall thin greenery I could plant to cover it.

Caporegime
If it's bamboo, you roots will be everywhere. Unless it's clumping bamboo.

Just saying :p

One option as you say is you clear it, then then stuff up it on trellis or something.

Soldato
Trellis and a climbing plant like a honeysuckle would grow fairly quickly and not need any maintenance. The bees also love it when it's flowered.

Soldato
The developers planted an array of bushes, trees bamboo in front .

Bamboo can be a real bugger to remove, and it's actually a fire hazard. I agree with clearing it and having climbing plants on a trellis. If there are windows above then you should consider a spiky climbing plant to deter burglars. Something like hawthorn, pyracanthus, or holly.

Soldato
I did not know this, I have to keep honeysuckle in mind for the future as will likely want another trailing plant at the front of the house. Currently considering a chinese wisteria.

I can only speak from what mine are doing :D. The Clematis is a good looking climber, but mine did die back to almost the root and regrew this year. But would just mean if you were using it to cover something then over the winter months it wouldn't have much coverage.

Back
Top Bottom