1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin Nuvi Vs Tomtom one

Discussion in 'Motors' started by smokedog, 20 May 2006.

1. smokedog

Mobster

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 300, it's ok but finding the speed camera alerts to be quite poor. Would I be better off with a Tomtom one?

POI updating is a pain and speed camera warning don't get you much warning. In terms of audio and visual.

2. Rednut05

Banned

I have TomTom on a pda so slightly different but you can change the time in which it warns you and sound etc... Can you not on the One.

3. Simian

Sgarrista

I've got a Go500 and the Grouped Camera Database (Permanent, Mobile, Temporary, SPECS, Traffic Light) and apart from the sounds (which I've got a program to edit them, soon!!) are a bit crap (Moo, Ding, Honk etc...) the warning distance can be specified to what ever you want!... (cost £2 per month!!) Dont' even think about using the TomTom database (its out of date!!!)..

Dunno it I'm alloud to say where from!... :confused:

All you do is dump the .ov2 and .bmp file into the Map directory to add the POI's!... that it!

with the new (Free) 'Home' software managing the TomTom range is now even easier!!!...

I think the Garmin specific database for cameras is coming allong, but its not as detailed as the TomTom one!!...

4. Slackworth

Capodecina

Tomtom's own Speed Camera database is absolutely awful. It seems to be over a year out of date. I'd recommend getting the PGPS one. That can also be put on your Garmin Nuvi.

5. mrgubby

Soldato

I've got the PGPS camera database on my Tomtom One , you can change the warning distance etc .

Now if Tomtom weren't such a bunch of ******* and kept their maps up to date I'd be happy :mad: