Gas Vs Induction

Soldato
Every since my mum first started to teach me to cook I've had a gas hob.

Whenever I've used a halogen or electric hob I've hated the slow response. Slow to heat up, slow to cool down.

We are having a new kitchen fitted in the next few months and I'm starting to think about appliances. We do have mains gas, but I'm considering induction. I really like the clean lines and ease of cleaning. But it's not gas!

Has anyone here got any words of wisdom?

Is gas still the best cooking choice, or is an induction hob with a good control system as good?

Soldato
There are pros and cons to both, but are pretty evenly matched imo. Personally I much prefer induction and wouldn't go back, even more so since I got a decent set of tri-ply pans, even the wok works well now which was probably the previously weakest point to induction cooking.

The instantaneous of heat control is pretty much the same and induction jobs are more stylish (imo) and a lot easier to keep clean.

You can always get combination jobs with both gas and induction nowadays if you want both.

Associate
It depends on what you usually cook. I have used induction hob for 6 years so far as the place I rent only has induction hobs.
It works just fine for most dishes.

However, it limits the cookware you can use. I had to change all my pots and pans to induction suitable ones.
In addition, if you have the need to season your cast iron pan, induction hobs do not work well and gas ones are a better option.
Finally, I like stir fired with high heat, which induction hobs work okay, better than most electric ones, but still less strong than gas ones.

My preference is gas >induction>>>>>>>>>>>>>electric.

Soldato
Used gas for most of my life, I now use induction

I find them both just as easy to control with the exception you can lift and hold a pan over a gas flame to reduce the heat even more, induction does take a little bit of time converting and getting used to but it’s not a steep learning curve
Induction for me looks far more stylish, is a lot easier to clean and my pans always look in new condition

Soldato
evangilist - yes I'm avoiding induction -> https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...with-gas-hob-in-this-space-possible.18916207/
several others threads, too

. need to replace pans (triply) to distribute heat from ~5" induction rings better, gas more uniform(hot gases)
bigger (triply) heat mass helps compensate for predominate induction control mechansim that pulses on/off(not infinitely variable), too, so simmering difficult
. Difficult to use with a wok, where in addition to needing a flat base section, induction can't sustain heat uniformly as good as gas
. Just the expense and (potential) long term reliability of induction, fragility of induction with heavy le-creusets, too
. even the cleaning thing, with the control of gas my rice/milk .... don't boil over.
. they haven't proliferated in restaurants (yes blumenthal has some fancy $$$ ones with accurate heat control - not in my budget)
. gas currently cheaper.

Soldato
Gas is the superior cooking choice, with much finer adjustments and flexibility of heat along with higher overall heat. However for living with day to day induction is 10x better in my opinion just from a practicality and cleaning perspective mostly, pan boiled over, just wipe up and it's done. Plus the speed to boil water is brilliant. Ideal world is a small wok burner/high heat gas and induction hob to complement each other!

Soldato
There are pros and cons to both, but are pretty evenly matched imo. Personally I much prefer induction and wouldn't go back, even more so since I got a decent set of tri-ply pans, even the wok works well now which was probably the previously weakest point to induction cooking.

The instantaneous of heat control is pretty much the same and induction jobs are more stylish (imo) and a lot easier to keep clean.

You can always get combination jobs with both gas and induction nowadays if you want both.

This. They both have their merits.

Induction is super efficient and can boil water way faster than any gas hob.
Incredibly easy to clean

Gas has that much better control, and cheaper energy costs. Simpler, cheaper hobs too.

A cheap gas hob is fine. A cheap induction hob is not.

I'd quite like one of the split ones with 3 induction plates and a wok burner....ideal setup really.

Soldato
Induction is good for some things.

Boiling or stewing anything in a pot etc, it's better than gas, heats faster, cleaner, safer.

However, for frying anything, and in particular a wok, but really and kind of frying it's rubbish.

Where as gas still in isn't bad at the pots either.

So overall gas is better.

I dont have piped gas where I live so stuck with induction, but I do have an outdoor gas burner I run off a gas bottle for doing stir frys etc.

Soldato
reiterating .. and you need to have more heat conductive/triply pans compatible with induction - compounding the capital investment.
... it could have been a set of pans for life otherwise.

Associate
The big thing with induction is you need a good one. The standard 13A plug ones are dire and they are more likely the sort of thing lots of people will have used in a cheap Airbnb style place which will put a lot off. The 4kw are tolerable, but not amazing, but you really do want a 7.4kw one which really are good, but they definitely ain’t cheap

Soldato
Definitely get what you pay for. I went from an aeg 4 burner to a neff 5/3 burner. Both 7.4 kw but the neff is much better from a functionality perspective and flex zones are great. The extra space you have not having a big old control panel also makes a huge difference if you're only having a 60cm hob too. Even better on a 90 as you never really get overlap unless you've got 5 big pans on the go.

Caporegime
We are having a new kitchen fitted in the next few months and I'm starting to think about appliances. We do have mains gas, but I'm considering induction. I really like the clean lines and ease of cleaning. But it's not gas!
the gov is already phasing out gas boilers, gas cookers will probably be next

fez

fez

Caporegime
I would have 3 induction and then a wok burner if I could choose. Even the standard kitchen gas burner isn't amazing for a wok. Need a proper jet.

Soldato
Much prefer induction. We switched a few years ago and will never go back. There's also an issue of indoor air quality - burning gas indoors is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom